Mim Mim what?

yoshix

So it took a little less than a month for shipping from Russia to get this.

20190725-161758.jpg

I would like to make this trooper eventually and have many questions. 

First off, this thing is much bigger (and heavier)  than I thought it would be. Its about  65" x 65". When I first tried it on I noticed it drags the ground. Then I thought, there must be a way to make it shorter and noticed that I can attach the bottom to the middle like so.

20190725-164916.jpg

Which makes me believe thats the inside so its hidden away. Leaving the top to hang down like a hood.

Second, how is this thing supposed to sit? I'm pretty sure I figured out how it attaches, tied to my sholder straps. The reference photos I have dont really show too may details/ stitching etc. Its hard to tell what side to wear it on. Anyone have any reference photos from the back without a backpack on?

My assumption is that it's made of wool so I'm not exactly sure how I want to dye it.

20190725-172236.jpg

This is what I have on hand at the moment so I may have to go out and buy another black RIT for natural Fabrics. Let me know what you use to dye yours.

My next question is, what are we using for weathering/mud? Acrylic paints, spray paints or maybe something thicker?

edit - looking through all of the information on it - I believe it is cotton or canvas tarpaulin fabric.  It MAY  be dyeable. But it has a finish on it which makes it water repellant.  

Is the texture waxy? 

2 minutes ago, Fraulein said:

If you could link to where you got it, I could see what kind of fabric it is. It may be a cotton with a sateen finish. Which means it may not take a dye. If it is wool, then you don’t want to use hot water to dye it. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USSR-Original-Soviet-Russian-Army-WWII-Type-Soldier-Field-Canvas-cloak-tent-NEW-/282650413570?txnId=2005479608018

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about wool.

3 hours ago, Fraulein said:

edit - looking through all of the information on it - I believe it is cotton or canvas tarpaulin fabric.  It MAY  be dyeable. But it has a finish on it which makes it water repellant.  

Is the texture waxy? 

I just put some water on it and it seems to be water repellent. I also saturated a small area and it did soak up the water. Ill give it a try with the RIT Black hopefully this weekend. Or do you think I should try to pretreat it with something? 

You’re right about the bottom corner being buttoned up to keep it from dragging.

on your second pic you can see the draw strings stitched into the plash in a crescent shape?  By pulling these tight you will form the square into a cape shape with hood (hope that makes sense?)

you can see a pic of mine from behind in the crl picture library:

http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:Mimbpalatka1.jpg

The material isn’t wool, it is more like a canvas and, to perform its intended military function, it has a waterproof coating.  The technique I found for dyeing is simple persistence, keep dyeing it until it gets to colour you want, I think mine took 4 rounds.  I then weathered by spraying various shades of grey acrylics.

Any questions I can help with please hit me up and I’ll help anyway I can.

9 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

on your second pic you can see the draw strings stitched into the plash in a crescent shape? 

Oh, I see it now. Thank you very much! 

you can see a pic of mine from behind in the crl picture library:

http://databank.501st.com/databank/File:Mimbpalatka1.jpg

Is that after dying it four time? It still looks green.

The material isn’t wool, it is more like a canvas and, to perform its intended military function, it has a waterproof coating.

You used the dye for natural fabrics though right? 

The technique I found for dyeing is simple persistence, keep dyeing it until it gets to colour you want, I think mine took 4 rounds.  

Thank you for the info. I would have tried it once and thought it wouldn't work or that I did something wrong. Now I know to just keep at it.

17 hours ago, yoshix said:

Is that after dying it four time? It still looks green.

No that is prior to dyeing it.  I sent those pics through before the crl had been finalised, at the time there was a lot of discussion as to what colour the plash actually was.

18 hours ago, yoshix said:

You used the dye for natural fabrics though right?

This is the one I used

vZ2Homv.jpg

Even after 4 rounds of dyeing it is very hard to get it pure black, nut for me a very dark black / green looks more the part.  Any uneveness in the dye also just adds to the weathering affect.

First attempt. 

20190803-085920.jpg

They're much more wrinkles now which I'm not really sure how to get out, maybe I'll just leave them in

20190803-085945.jpg

As you can see, one side took the bye better than the other

20190803-090029.jpg

20190803-090052.jpg

The leather circles shrink a little bit and got hard from the boiling water which I should have expected because I've dyef ammo pouches before and had the same issue. I don't think it's a big deal though as long as they don't fall apart.

On 8/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, Fraulein said:

It was probably the waxy finish that kept it from taking the dye. 

Agreed 

14 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

Definitely keep the wrinkles in.  I doubt troopers were ironing their ponchos in the trenches :D

Lol, its the trekkies that aren't allowed to have wrinkles. I just don't want too may wrinkles ya know. 

20190806-210535.jpg

So has this been confirmed as the bandoliers from the film? I was going to make mine from scratch then I saw that they a pretty cheap, if its the correct ones. To be honest I would only wear it for the approval. 

Weathering: 

20190806-212352.jpg

This is what I had in mind to create the mud effect. The one in the middle looks like a good match, then here and there a small amount of brown (on the left) to make it less uniform.  At first I was thinking I should try to thicken it but to be honest now I'm not so sure. I found this technique online of boiling cornstarch in water and adding it to acrylic paint to thicken it. Let me know what you guy think. 

10 hours ago, yoshix said:

20190806-210535.jpg

So has this been confirmed as the bandoliers from the film? I was going to make mine from scratch then I saw that they a pretty cheap, if its the correct ones. To be honest I would only wear it for the approval. 

Yep those are the right ones.

14 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

Yep those are the right ones.

20190807-220142.jpg

What about this line? I'm assuming it's a simple stitching that you remove on yours, or is it only on the back and the front is plain?

20190810-142016.jpg

I got 4 of them. I plan to use the bottom one as its a less green as the others. Looks like the front has noticeable printing on it. I assume everyone is putting the font to there chest to hide the printing, unless there is a technical for removing it. 

20190810-141940.jpg

I understand now that the light stitching on the bottom is for different magazine types and is designs for easy removal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20190913-210231.jpg

I didn't go crazy on details because I knew I was going to cover most of it up with paint.

20190913-104606.jpg

I used this dark grey mixed with water and plaster of Paris first. As it was wet, it was perfect. The perfect color and consistency. But when it dried, it came out way too light. So I added the black and waited a bit to let it thicken up before I applied it.

20190913-104544.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results. I'm not quite finished yet, there are a few areas I want to touch up again and I may need to apply a top coat to seal it in when I'm ready. Also I made a few streaks I need to try to get out, Windex maybe? 

20190913-104433.jpg

I might do some browns and tans to give it a more earth look and less grey. Haven't quite decided yet. 

20190913-104416.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...