Special Edition Sandtrooper Build

MrFlavaFlave

Hey everyone, I am finally working on the Special Edition Sandtrooper. I plan to post photos of the progress and all the research I have discovered along the way. There is also a research build in the SE Sandtrooper section that has been super helpful. I will also discuss armor purchase, the E-11 blaster, pauldrons, weathering, SE back pack, and everything else in between. I hope to have this built by the end of the year and I am so excited and cannot wait to add this costume to my collection.

I also hope to finish this CRL and get more SE sandtroopers out there patrolling and arresting the Empire's scum and villainy.

So far I have purchased ROTJ armor from TM armor, a SE Crookknight's backpack (a new version with new source material), a ROTJ E-11, some items from Trooperbay, and new TK boots. I plan to build this costume from scratch and will update everyone along the way.  So until the items arrive, we will play the waiting game.

Thank you my TD brothers and long live the 1997 Sandtrooper!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrookKnight said:

Looking forward to it. I will be working on the pack for you and vacuum forming a new base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much Shawn! I cannot wait to see the new pack.

4 hours ago, MrFlavaFlave said:

Hey everyone, I am finally working on the Special Edition Sandtrooper. I plan to post photos of the progress and all the research I have discovered along the way. There is also a research build in the SE Sandtrooper section that has been super helpful. I will also discuss armor purchase, the E-11 blaster, pauldrons, weathering, SE back pack, and everything else in between. I hope to have this built by the end of the year and I am so excited and cannot wait to add this costume to my collection.

I also hope to finish this CRL and get more SE sandtroopers out there patrolling and arresting the Empire's scum and villainy.

So far I have purchased ROTJ armor from TM armor, a SE Crookknight's backpack (a new version with new source material), a ROTJ E-11, some items from Trooperbay, and new TK boots. I plan to build this costume from scratch and will update everyone along the way.  So until the items arrive, we will play the waiting game.

Thank you my TD brothers and long live the 1997 Sandtrooper!

Hey Brother,  how are you?

So the time of the SE TD has finally come?

I did some deep research on the SE TD a few years ago when we tried to build the first CRL. I don't remember if the pictures I gathered ended up somewhere over the board, but I think I might still got them in my backup drive. Just send me a PM or even better, a mail, if you would like me to send you those files. 

Some are the classic references, but some are (or were) very oscure materials... 

let me know.

Saludos.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, iconoclasta_88 said:

Hey Brother,  how are you?

So the time of the SE TD has finally come?

I did some deep research on the SE TD a few years ago when we tried to build the first CRL. I don't remember if the pictures I gathered ended up somewhere over the board, but I think I might still got them in my backup drive. Just send me a PM or even better, a mail, if you would like me to send you those files. 

Some are the classic references, but some are (or were) very oscure materials... 

let me know.

Saludos.

I tried to send you a PM , but it would not allow it. I am good and I appreciate anything related to the SE TD.

Thanks.

Don't worry bro.
I'll try to get a file set up for you with all my files.
Give me a day or two and I will post the link  probably here.
Saludos

Cool. Do you have any good photos of the pack? I do have some really good ones so far, but it never hurts to have more. I am revising the base unit right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have a few. Not that good. Most of what I have comes from an old file of the VHI Special Edition Special Program. 
And some other stuff I collected.

I sill have to upload it!
Work has been crazy. Hope manage to do it this week.

Saludos

In order to be screen accurate, I am redoing many parts of the pack.  The first piece is the upper left box.  I have 3D printed the top part and will add the wood to the bottom to make is a mold for vacuum forming as the screen used versions have.

I have already completed the bottom left box, mortar tube on the right, and some other pieces.  Now that I have all of the pieces, I can figure out the size of the base and start working on the mold.  I will post more progress this week, when I am back at my workshop.

64668738_10218199956497601_2186903313109

66760937_10218199956777608_1366551803520

67057722_10218199956577603_3986274944030

Below is where I am at on the pack.  The top left piece is ready to be molded.  The bottom left piece has already been molded and what you see is the vacuum formed piece.  The top piece is going to be slightly redone.  The top right tube is a found part (thermos).  We are currently working on molding the base.  Next piece we are working on is the bottle piece between the thermos and the upper left box.  Going for 100% accuracy on this pack.

67059263_10218229971447956_8834363500097

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

phYPbBL.jpg

TM RotJ Kit has been shipped and should be here next week. I have 3D printed the RotJ blaster and that is ready for assembly. My TK friend and I will be working on it and it should be done by the end of this month as long as we do not have any issues. I am still waiting on the backpack from Crooknight and he is posting updates on this thread as he can.

• Like 2

Have fun building David! I have to admit that I'm not such a big fan of the SE Sandtroopers but that is probably because I am too old:sweat: my first experience was the unaltered version of ANH. 

However, I think the enthusiasm you show for this trooper is amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress! :salute:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hausi said:

Have fun building David! I have to admit that I'm not such a big fan of the SE Sandtroopers but that is probably because I am too old:sweat: my first experience was the unaltered version of ANH. 

However, I think the enthusiasm you show for this trooper is amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress! :salute:

I appreciate that very much sir. My first experience of Star Wars on the big screen was the SE version, so I am more attached to them than others. Also, maybe we could create a SWAT level for them! That would be awesome!

As one of the few folks in the world who actually likes (and troops as a) ROTJ TK, I am watching this build with great interest.
May not be as "pretty" as their ANH counterparts, but they hold a charm all their own.

Best of luck with it!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 12:29 AM, MrFlavaFlave said:

I appreciate that very much sir. My first experience of Star Wars on the big screen was the SE version, so I am more attached to them than others. Also, maybe we could create a SWAT level for them! That would be awesome!

That would be interesting, you would have to lend a helping hand, as well as provide the reference pics. Until I saw your references and behind the scenes pics, I thought these troopers were computer generated. :sweat:

29 minutes ago, Hausi said:

That would be interesting, you would have to lend a helping hand, as well as provide the reference pics. Until I saw your references and behind the scenes pics, I thought these troopers were computer generated. :sweat:

The only CG troopers are the ones on dewback. There are five SE sandtroopers and one of them is a shared armor trooper, so four on film. I will post all of my research once I get it all together. I even found the Star Wars Insider book, circa 2000, that lays out the plan for the additional filming scene as well as location. The SE research thread build provides a lot of information and is a great starting point.

• Like 1

Armor arrived on Friday and I have begun the trimming process. I will take photos after the trimming is complete and after I have sanded down the edges. The overlap system of the RotJ is much easier than the ANH Sandy. Is there any chance I could be provided with the draft of the SE Sandy CRL to follow?