Remove Zap-A-Gap

DEVOLVER

Hey everyone, TK-82214 here. 

I was hoping to start converting to a sandy at some point this summer. I have all the correct parts to convert. My sniper plate and ab buttons are glued on with E-6000, however, my shoulder straps are glued on with Zap-A-Gap. So far, when asking how to get these loose, the answer has been “you don’t”.

Surely I can’t be the first TK to have this problem.

How can I get the Zap-A-Gap loose? Or can I just break off the straps, sand them down to little nubs and cover the area with a pauldron?

That's going to be a tough one. Zap A Gap is cyanoacrylate and can be removed with acetone. Of course, acetone will also weaken and destroy ABS In the process, and that's not good.

You might be forced to snap them off, then sand down the CA residue with increasingly fine sandpaper grits until it's smooth again. 

• Upvote 1

I would try to do what you suggest but definitely start on the right shoulder as this side will be covered by the pauldron anyway...

Otherwise before doing that you should try to contact the maker of your armor first, maybe he can offer you a chest/backplate solo or even better.with shoulder bells, that way you could also build a bust to display your helmet...   :peace:

Colordifferences shouldn’t be a problem, it will be hidden by the weathering!

• Upvote 1