Giostyle alternative

Marv

Stumbled on this on ebay. It's a 70's canteen but there us no branding or markings on it whatsoever. It even has the lid linkage part on the neck the same as the giostyle.

Has anyone else here stumbled on one of these?e5eeb72c8de0797c9fb51a2bb2e6e294.jpg23bc1a608bf5b035a926901c87b3052e.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hello John, what you see is exactly like what @dutchy has. There have been other alternatives. Check this one out from Indonesia: the Lion Star. 

The generally accepted "accurate" ones are definitely the Gio Style from Italy. 

• Like 1

Well it's funny but stumbled on the maker late last night when I saw a similar listing but for the larger size canteen. This was in fact made by Style of Italy I think it may possibly pre date the giostyle? Funny if you look at the giostyle label style is kind of singled out by the bordering.

The larger canteen I saw had exactly the same colour scheme as mine and was shown in an advert too.

44eda63d5dacef71473b39f2ba67c9a5.jpg

As far as I can tell the Gio Style from Italy was the only one available at the time filming so THE screenaccurate canteen.

Anyway, since the “newer ones” are almost a exact match with only some minor differences which are not directly recognizable there also good enough for a backpack build.

I guess the original italian Factory just didn’t renew their patent so other manufacturers were able to jump on this to produce almost exact copies!

They both look like Style ones to me - one even says it on the side. Without seeing both sides of the canteen you cannot discount these as THE most screen accurate. I think its the same company if anyone can find a history of GioStyle we'd be able to see for sure.

Sorry for the confusion, the ones shown on my picture are definitely both newer style canteens!

None of these could be screenaccurate as they weren’t even produced at the times filming.

I have the old Italian canteen on my backpack. This is a picture of what I THINK might be accurate as it was produced in the mid seventies and I doubt there were other manufacturers at this time.

IMG-3889.jpg

And this is  the vintage canteen before painting...

IMG-3363.jpg

But that is just my two cents of course I can’t be sure as we don’t have any real evidence!

• 1 month later...