Road Block Pack 1 Build

519 Trooper

BEE STINGER

For my bee stinger I am using a Lion Star canteen which I purchased from Vincent. I don't believe I have done anything special with this part of the build, I just followed Airborne Trooper's idea and changed it up a bit to match what was used on the pack 1. The main difference that stood out to me was the size of the stinger that was used with this pack, it was stubbier than the other packs.  I believe the closest thing that I could use was a piece of 3/4" PVC conduit cut down to 2". Let me know what you guys thinks.

YJII502.jpg

Pi7Y7ZK.jpg

I removed the top and bottom which will make it easier to paint later on and gutted the inside of the canteen.

giHUR3A.jpg

406KKqV.jpg

I drilled the cap to allow the PVC to be inserted and I cut the 3/4" PVC down to 2".

IInAzcD.jpg

I shaved down half of the tabs and assembled everything using hot glue.

EbwlLVh.jpg?1

Oa9gMne.jpg

305HkkQ.jpg

STzelKq.jpg

I cut 2 4 1/2" x 3/4" brackets that I had left over and I will be using single 1" L-brackets to mount the bottle to the seed tray.  I found that the L-bracket allow for better adjustment of the bee stinger once it is installed.

cn1nCr5.jpg

WjVto2a.jpg

wj5vMmm.jpg

I am looking for some help with the greeble part used on the side of this pack,  l was wondering if the design concept that I came up with is pretty close to the look of the one that was used and would it be acceptable for all levels of approval?

SUoV2QW.jpgosjA5qa.jpg

SYPHON

For the syphon I am using an RWA kit which I had to modify to look like a UP90, I just wished I realized that before I finished assembling it but I am happy with the end result.

efqrCsK.jpg

7QgsZvm.jpg

r0fDCcr.jpg

x7SnIPI.jpg

FILTER GREEBLE

For the top of the filter I cut off some plastic from a recycled bottle and used a couple of hovi mic tips.

SX17iGf.jpg

I used a heat gun to flatten the plastic.

AC9Aoar.jpg

JKXcHUt.jpg

I used the filter as a template and rounded the top which I felt looked the best.

lq6Dz1k.jpg

d9QiNyT.jpg

I used the heat gun once again to bend the top which will over lap the seed tray.

67lxdBz.jpg

I installed a couple of hovi mic tips since they looked fairly close to what was used in shape and size.

VHhkSzS.jpg

SN4XHRV.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

While I wait for my Sonix radio to arrive any day now, here is a quick update of my pack with all of the painted parts. I am still playing around with the position of the mortar tube face plate before I glue it down otherwise let me know if I should change anything.

1bVi5HY.jpg

qSyCxtW.jpg

11Tu1zg.jpg

• Upvote 1

I can't wait to see your work finished, you have done an exceptional job, I'm checking the tracking to see how much is missing, to it to get to you, if you can use it, remember that on my group you have the references for the measurements of the  box, if you have doubts, write to me I will gladly help you

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, GodOfLibra said:

I can't wait to see your work finished, you have done an exceptional job, I'm checking the tracking to see how much is missing, to it to get to you, if you can use it, remember that on my group you have the references for the measurements of the  box, if you have doubts, write to me I will gladly help you

Thank you Tony, I can’t wait to start working on it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hello Fellow Troopers,

I have not updated this post in a while but here is a quick update of where my build stands. I finally completed my radio build, I added all of the details including the electronics. I added a mini amplifier and rewired the volume controller so that I can control the volume on my micro SD loop player using the volume dial on the front of the radio. Here are the pics of the build, hope you like it.

JiepOXQ.jpg

GALg12f.jpgAHuQA2M.jpg

52oxZXW.jpg

CVUoJyr.jpg91TjJJ9.jpg4iJpJxT.jpg

iq1Li78.jpgrKvM8OM.jpgiP4Ai1F.jpgrnSooHG.jpgr0i9m0v.jpgSbxyRmj.jpg693BVzk.jpgAwyFWDn.jpgFiVNsV8.jpgJ6EYa2N.jpg8X4fN4a.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GodOfLibra said:

a really crazy job, congratulations, if I can afford a suggestion, paint the snap fasteners black, and the rivets of the feet, and then ruin them
6b2881f3351a3b09646bf637afc4ba3f.jpgf17bd825f9a17b25725d655858adf2c8.jpg

Thank you, I definitely will be doing that.

18 hours ago, RoCKo said:

Perfectly done! Looks like original and even has the functionality of a original radio!

I did the exact same to highlight the raised letters on my radio, wax crayon, right?  :duim:

Yes, since the original lettering was partially visible I decided to take advantage and try the wax crayon idea on the lettering instead of adding the stickers, I am glad I did that since it looks more weathered.

8 hours ago, Hausi said:

Great build, looks beautiful:duim:

Thank you Sir!

• 1 month later...

Really amaaazing!!! :salute:

Great work! I salute you for your commitment and attention to detail! This is a SWAT-worthy pack.... okay, the radio would need the black overspray but I can understand if you don't want to do that. ;)

One minor detail though: add some end caps to cover the bare metal ends at the top of the frame, I think I see them in your reference pic. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hausi said:

Really amaaazing!!! :salute:

Great work! I salute you for your commitment and attention to detail! This is a SWAT-worthy pack.... okay, the radio would need the black overspray but I can understand if you don't want to do that. ;)

One minor detail though: add some end caps to cover the bare metal ends at the top of the frame, I think I see them in your reference pic. 

Thanks Urs, that really means a lot. I have no issues with doing the black over spray as an added touch. As for the frame I do have the end caps installed, it is just hard to tell from any of those pictures.

foK0U5Z.jpg 

Yeah, I can see, my Karrimor frame had this version of the endcaps too

2y2je3ub.jpg

but when studying reference pics I found out that the 70s frames had a differents version:

v2btkl74.jpg

so I went to my local diy store and found something similar that was a great fit:

5nv36nas.jpg

I was so lucky to get a karrimor on ebay lately, although not being the correct frame shape, it´s from the seventies and has the correct endcaps... and the red back support straps:D :

blmiiqdw.jpg

8 hours ago, Hausi said:

Yeah, I can see, my Karrimor frame had this version of the endcaps too

2y2je3ub.jpg

but when studying reference pics I found out that the 70s frames had a differents version:

v2btkl74.jpg

so I went to my local diy store and found something similar that was a great fit:

5nv36nas.jpg

I was so lucky to get a karrimor on ebay lately, although not being the correct frame shape, it´s from the seventies and has the correct endcaps... and the red back support straps:D :

blmiiqdw.jpg

Good catch, I will swap them out. 

• Like 1

Hey mate, I´ll be starting my pack#1 build soon and am doing research right now, studying pictures and getting a headache:sweat:

I see most people using hovi mictips for the little sheet of plastic above the filter but I don´t think that there aren´t any... I rather think that the left side is rather cut off quite skewly, and the edge of the seedtray itself might create the illusion of a mictip being present. Same on the right side where I think it´s possible that it only is the shadow of the sanding disc on top of the bottle. 

What do you and everyone else think?

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, Hausi said:

Hey mate, I´ll be starting my pack#1 build soon and am doing research right now, studying pictures and getting a headache:sweat:

I see most people using hovi mictips for the little sheet of plastic above the filter but I don´t think that there aren´t any... I rather think that the left side is rather cut off quite skewly, and the edge of the seedtray itself might create the illusion of a mictip being present. Same on the right side where I think it´s possible that it only is the shadow of the sanding disc on top of the bottle. 

What do you and everyone else think?

That’s great to hear, l am looking forward to seeing your build.  I also feel for you, I gave myself a fair share of headaches looking at those images.

You are possibly correct in regards to the mic tips, it’s hard to tell since there are a lot of dark shadows and no clear close up shots of those details. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...