Field pack back problems!

MrFlavaFlave

Brother Troopers,

I did my first troop on 10/6 and had some pains in my shoulders and back from the field pack. I contacted one of our members and was recommended some straps across the chest to alleviate the pressure.

Any other recommendations? Does any other Sandtrooper have this problem?

Solutions, pictures, or have you just dealt with it?

Thanks,

David

Many folks have taken an old school backpack and cut the padded shoulders straps off to use on their sandtrooper backpack.

You could also use a few inches of elastic to connect the top of the frame to your shoulder straps. This would act as a shock absorber while you're walking.

I don't understand the mechanics, but the chest straps do alleviate some of the load off your shoulders. If you could find backpack straps with those already built in, that could save you some work.

Charlie

Same thing happens to me. After a couple of hours my left shoulder hurts, to the point where I have to take off the pack for a while. 

My old pack did it and my current one does too. 

It must be something to do with the straps, possibly too much weight on 1 side?

LMK if you come up with a fix. It really is a pain. Literally!

On 10/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, crashmann said:

Many folks have taken an old school backpack and cut the padded shoulders straps off to use on their sandtrooper backpack.

You could also use a few inches of elastic to connect the top of the frame to your shoulder straps. This would act as a shock absorber while you're walking.

I don't understand the mechanics, but the chest straps do alleviate some of the load off your shoulders. If you could find backpack straps with those already built in, that could save you some work.

Charlie

Yea I have spoken with a fellow Sand brother and he recommended these:

https://www.amazon.com/YYST-Webbing-Sternum-Backpack-Harness/dp/B019QAPPFO

I will see how they work.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 9:59 AM, Lee_C_77 said:

Same thing happens to me. After a couple of hours my left shoulder hurts, to the point where I have to take off the pack for a while. 

My old pack did it and my current one does too. 

It must be something to do with the straps, possibly too much weight on 1 side?

LMK if you come up with a fix. It really is a pain. Literally!

I feel you brother and I hope other Sand brothers will chime in and assist.

You could try to add some padding on your shoulders to make it less painfull. My guess would be that there is as you mentioned it yourself too much weight on one side or your pack isn't hanging straight on your back.

• 4 months later...

So I have not forgotten this thread and have had 9 troops with backpack shoulder pads and a strap across the chest and I no longer have any more pain or discomfort while wearing the pack. 

Has anyone else tried anything different?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I thought I was the only one having the same problem! Reading this thread got me excited seeing solutions for the problem. Does the harness go underneath the armor or outside of it when you wear it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, ICEBERG said:

I thought I was the only one having the same problem! Reading this thread got me excited seeing solutions for the problem. Does the harness go underneath the armor or outside of it when you wear it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I wear it underneath the armor across the chest and it helps so much. I hope this helps you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/6/2019 at 11:08 PM, MrFlavaFlave said:

So I have not forgotten this thread and have had 9 troops with backpack shoulder pads and a strap across the chest and I no longer have any more pain or discomfort while wearing the pack. 

Has anyone else tried anything different?

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I could get the backpack shoulder pads?

2 hours ago, Ironclad said:

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I could get the backpack shoulder pads?

I bought mine off of Amazon. They are hiking straps that included a strap across the chest. It definitely helps for long troops.

8 minutes ago, MrFlavaFlave said:

I bought mine off of Amazon. They are hiking straps that included a strap across the chest. It definitely helps for long troops.

Would a good backpack shoulder straps with chest strap be like this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backpack-Shoulder-Adjustable-Replacement-Outdoor/dp/B07F9SHX4L/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=backpack+straps+replacement+black&qid=1580406436&sr=8-5

the chest strap seems to be right below the sternum.

But the shoulder straps seem rather large and not completely black. Wouldn't these show too much whilst wearing and make the sandtrooper costume not up to 501st standards?

Could you provide me with the specific link to the straps you bought if you still have it?

Yes sir I sure can. These are black and mix in well with the straps and the black under suit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GOK99P6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The backpack is not required for basic approval for the 501st Legion. I hope this helps and I have completed many troops wearing the straps. It is very very hard to see them unless you are looking for them.

I will take some photos and upload them later this evening so you all can see what my setup looks like. I even attached a button snap to the straps to prevent the shoulder ammo pouches from sliding down.

You have to be creative here at the MEPD. We are on a low budget and the Empire will not provide any more funding.