What can I do with a real sterling? My Bapty Project!

bigwam

A few weeks ago, I bought a real sterling, thinking of building a bapty. 

However, my son and I (it's always a double project, we always build double) wanted to try it with real parts. That means - grip and rear end made of metal. Not easy,  we soon noticed. What metal to take? Pewter and Plumb? To soft.  Aluminum? High melting point. We will do it in the garden ... Our alternative: ZAMAC.  A mixture of tin, copper, aluminum and magnesium.  Melting Point: 340°C - thats OK.

Next Problem: The mold. After some research, special silicone for high temperatures. Maintains six to seven casting cycles.  Ok, so let´s go.

First, i cut the rear end of the sterling ... I took the mass from the picture, that I have increased to 1: 1.

From the rear end, I made the template:

qzioha6q.jpg

9yn5m66d.jpg

ccdig4e7.jpg

b99vfk9n.jpg

d7cr9jdf.jpg

• Like 1

Then, the first casting attempt....

We did not know how the metal reacts, so i wear protective clothing (Motorcycle clothes, Fireman helmet and Gloves) :duim:

ywidl78v.jpg

The first try ...

qsyz3svi.jpg

owev3pmm.jpg

dwelsfz9.jpg

Nice, but not good ...

The problem is, i can do 6 or 7 peces, before the mold is ruined. From the rear end and I could make six copies.

For a new mold + material, each rear end costs 60 - 70 € . Thats expensive. It is an experiment ...

zpkq3ddv.jpg