Volksjager's #4 Pack Build

Volksjager

I have been working on this since I was approved as a TD earlier in the year and it's finally at a point where I would be happy to post here on MEPD. Since I wear a black pauldron and looking at emulating the ally door check trooper, I will be building pack #4. I want to build with as many local supplies as possible though I know I will have to out source some of the parts. I have a full build thread on my Garrison forums but will run through the progress I have made so far. If people want a full breakdown I am happy to do that as well 

So I started off building my frame from PVC & gas pipe fittings that were the same diameter 

pFsVJ5.jpg

I also found some seed trays that match the sizes I found here on MEPD pretty well. Downside was they had a rim around the outside edge so I would have to take that off and refinish the edge. Here were the trays when I got them 

9aB8dk.jpg

And after a little bit of surgery 

wnoOnW.jpg

And in place on the painted frame 

xLUXW4.jpg

I purchased a Lionstar canteen from Vincent (many thank) and some tupperware pudding cups & a Stow 'n' Go locally. I converted the canteen following Airborne troopers guide and painted the parts up

52paGQ.jpg

The hardest parts were always going to be radio & siphon. Luckily I was able to get a fellow Sandy and garrison member to 3d print them for me. Quality was great, just a bit of finishing to be done to them

St2NIX.jpg

And here is the finished product 

0xh1Et.jpg

mtuwUJ.jpg

To complete the Sonix, I had to build the enclosure. I will be running an Aker inside playing background chatter so it had to open. I built the frame from Aluminium angle, made the outer walls from black plastic sheet & added some hinges and a magnetic closer for the faceplate. From there I made the leather cover, added the feet and the dial decals from Trooperbay.

l5vH0C.jpg

HBeCT5.jpg

Mf3QSa.jpg

I also made the bottles from some drinking bottles I had around the house, they have the right look in comparison to the pudding cups. Made sure I could screw them onto pack as well

Y4QQzk.jpg

Now all the main components were here I started to build everything up. I bolted both the blue & black bottom trays to the frame

GSR2P8.jpg

Then started to attached the items to the top trays. Here is the top blue tray completed 

ZKUj3k.jpg

and attached the tray to pack. Starting to take shape and look like a pack 

r4RyjP.jpg

From here I will work on the last part of the top tray, the straps and complete the weathering before trying for Police officer. I will keep the topic updated as much as possible. 

• Like 1

Many thanks, glad a couple of you like it. 

To smooth the siphon I gave it a light sand, then used 2 layers of spray putty, sanding with 400 grade wet dry in between coats. After that I put on a coat primer filler, sand then the black colour.  With the seed trays I found that pack 4 has a 3 rib tray for bottom set (picture pulled from my PO application, thanks Bigwam)

S8RpuN.png

Since the last update I have managed to build the corrugated section on the left side of the top tray. Was made from 30mm PVC pipe, same size I used for the lab pipe

nBitJp.jpg

I also made my straps out of 50mm nylon strapping with size adjusters on both sides of the clip connector. 

6L227R.jpg

Even put some clear plastic in the dial face of the sonix to simulate the lens

rNYMA9.jpg

Then fix the top tray in place and it was complete

QhTjg3.jpg

Then after a little weathering 

sOqhnG.jpg

ul2vrx.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, you've created a very nice pack! Most impressive!

I really like the bottom shape of your gray bottles. The ones used on screen have a sharp angle at the bottom, just like the ones you've found :duim:

Good job setting the angle for the radar dish! Your eye for detail really shines through in the pack you've built!

Charlie

On 7/11/2018 at 5:06 AM, Volksjager said:

Many thanks, glad a couple of you like it. 

To smooth the siphon I gave it a light sand, then used 2 layers of spray putty, sanding with 400 grade wet dry in between coats. After that I put on a coat primer filler, sand then the black colour.  With the seed trays I found that pack 4 has a 3 rib tray for bottom set (picture pulled from my PO application, thanks Bigwam)

S8RpuN.png

I stand corrected, good catch!