Belt Weathering

inklegg

Looking for any tips or tricks to weather the fabric part of the belt. I did mine today and very unhappy with the results. Spent a ton of time trying to undo what was done and I think I (mostly) got it to where I can try again. Please let me know how to make it not so paper white and look natural. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my weathering technique for my armour was the Panda Trooper method of dabbing on the acrylic paint and wiping off with the damp rag. Once the rag was saturated with watered down paint I ran this along my fabric parts a few times till I was happy with the tone of the weathering. At least doing it this way applies the colour slowly and it much more controllable. 

• Like 1

I used the same technique on the belt as I did everything else. Natural sponge with burnt umber. Dabbed it on and wiped off (Pandatrooper’s method). I made sure to leave some open spots so it wouldn’t be a “uniform” color.

hSwpsLT.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a "watercolor" method. I dampened the area I was working on with water. Then did little dabs of the clay I use (would work the same with paint) gently tapped the brush/Qtip/swab/sponge onto the fabric. Not making too much contact with the belt fabric, but letting the water in the fabric wick from the brush with the clay/paint. 
This way the weathering would be "in" the belt and not just on top of the surface looking like I had an accident with pudding in the lunch room.

• 2 months later...