Merch Runs- MEPD still waiting?

BadBatch

Question regarding merch runs.  After all the brouhaha on the main 501st forum there was talk about merch runs being restructured-
and it has been the MEPD policy to wait for the new merch rules...

But we appear to be the ONLY ones still waiting. JRS, Blizzard Force, and the main legion itself has all continued with their standard runs (and new ones as well). I know other detachments are as well. 

How long are we going to wait for new rules to appear?  The LCS doesn't even have any visible threads discussing potential new rules (although some may exist in the closed off section for only command staff).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been working on two merch ideas. The logistics of getting everything sorted and approved has been a daunting task for me, probably because I have never ever done anything like this before. So maybe the problem partially lies in the amount of time and money that someone has to put in before something goes into production might be some of the delay.
I'm cool with there being no merch coming out constantly. It makes it more exclusive when something does come out. 

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:58 AM, Fraulein said:

I'm cool with there being no merch coming out constantly. It makes it more exclusive when something does come out. 

I have to agree with this, plus it'll take a lot of logistic work to handle large amounts of merchandise of which some won't even be ordered in great quantities.

But, we try to bring out a couple of new merch runs each year.

On 7/29/2018 at 6:58 PM, Fraulein said:

29 minutes ago, dutchy said:

I have to agree with this, plus it'll take a lot of logistic work to handle large amounts of merchandise of which some won't even be ordered in great quantities.

But, we try to bring out a couple of new merch runs each year.

lets face fact, we're not talking "constantly" here. There is currently almost no merch available-

10" patch (Closed)
Coasters
Box Kit (name plates)
and a Deployed Only coin.

There are a few "interest threads" but that's it.  Soooo, two unlimited items, one closed item, and one restricted item.  

The basics like the shield patch should be pretty much on-tap.  We've got troopers who have been members for over a year or more who can't even get a detachment-logo patch.

The problem with "there not being merch coming out constantly" is that while some vets may already have all they need, loads of newer troopers don't have anything at all.

You want new troopers to stay motivated? You gotta let them represent.  Stuff like t-shirts and patches are basics.  Nobody is saying we need to have racing shirts for every season,
(I despise racing shirts so I'd be the LAST person asking for that- LOL), but our merch dept is a ghost town compared to other detachments.

• Like 1

I really do not want to come off as elitist but I’m sure it’ll be conveyed that way... BUT we aren’t other detachments. There’s no other detachment that takes accuracy and much more seriously as we do. We’re also a relatively small detachment compared to FISD and JRS. 

I agree with you on the shield patches. We need to get these available and in the hands of new members. @Gordonator is wrapping up the 10” patches now. Maybe he can chime in. It is a lot of work getting things made, shipping, etc. on top of family, work, etc. I tried it for my garrison and couldn’t hack it. 

• Like 1

I have to agree with making the common patches readily available or at least easy for new troops to grab a couple.

We do need to bear in mind, as Jason already mentioned, that we are smaller in size regarding members which makes each merch run a costly endeavour.

We try do do our best here with the staff and people are always free to drop a suggestion in one of our CS members inbox.

All in all, @BadBatch I get your drift brother... :duim:

9 hours ago, dutchy said:

We do need to bear in mind, as Jason already mentioned, that we are smaller in size regarding members which makes each merch run a costly endeavour.

Oh man - that so much. The one idea I did have was just too cool, but due to the number of people in the detachment and the cost of setting up the artwork and production of the items and the required minimum, it just wasn't happening.  
But I do keep it in mind in case I ever hit the lotto.

47 minutes ago, Gordonator said:

Hi Scott, I don't understand your complain here. But I shall try my best to explain the merch process and hopefully it will give a better understanding on what goes on behind the scene. First off, the MEPD has always has a constant supply of merch. 2018 so far we already done these merchs below

- Desert Fox patch
- MEPD new costume coin
- MEPD racing shirt
- MEPD new costume 10" patch

Since we are now at the last day of July, Thats an average of 1 merch every 2 months. To me, that's a reasonable time frame. Please bear in mind it typically takes around 3 months for a merch to be completed from start to finish, from getting the design done, getting it approved, liaising with the vendor to make sample, opening the run on the forums, improving on the sample, actual production, shipping, packing them individually and finally mailing them out to buyers. Thats for the first 2 months. The 3rd month is after sale support where we wait for buyers to receive the items and to resolve any issue that may arise.

Some runs might take shorter or longer depending on whether its a re-run,  how fast the legion approve things, how much improvements are needed and how fast the shipping  takes.

We just ended the ordering phrase of the MEPD 10" patch and is currently in production and waiting for them to be shipped to me. Rest assured there's always something moving in the merch train, a lot of time it's waiting and logistics. But even while waiting, we are planning for the next one. Which in this case will be the regular MEPD shield patch, which will open order once the 10" patch after sale support is concluded, which is end of August. 

The MEPD shield patch is a regular item which we re-run every year during the fall. Please keep a look out for it if you are interested. Speaking of looking out for it, I understand some people will say they always missed out on runs thus the impression MEPD has nothing to offer. I will strongly suggest for everyone to log in the forums at least once or twice a month to check out what merch are available and to stay on tops of things, like announcements, check out others' PO/SWAT application etc. A merch ordering period usually goes on for 3 weeks so if you log in at the minimum once a month, there's no reason to miss anything. I also try my best to order extras to keep for latecomers but even those will run out eventually. Lastly, members might want to ensure they have requested for the correct forum access. Most merchs are posted either in the 501st or Sandtrooper section. So make sure you can access them.

And finally, I think its unfair to compare with other detachments because everyone has their own workflow and ways of doing things. Some of them might have the budget to order a big chunk to keep as readily available stock or their merch vendor is just next door, or they have extra pair of hands at home to help pack stuffs or their postage service is super efficient etc. All in all, I believe that as long as we are not terribly bad at doing merchs or take way too long to get them done, we should be OK and we humbly seek your understanding and patience while we work the best we can to get things out to you.

Gordon, 
please believe me when I say I'm not trying to belittle your efforts, and I DO understand that we're not the most populous detachment.
But I am now a member of 3 different detachments, and I can say with ALL HONESTY that the MEPD easily has the least available merch possible.
At any moment I could stroll onto either JRS or Blizzard force and buy patches, coins, or whatever my heart desires (barring racing shirts, which I HATE).

For every merch item you listed, let's look at the availability:
Desert Fox - (limited)
New Costume Coin - exactly where would that be? Because it's not in the 501st merch or Sandie only merch threads. And I'll be deployed to Mos Espa if I can find it on the legion boards.
Where is the racing shirt thread? Not on either of the merch threads. (not that I looked harder than a quick glance just now, due to my hating those things)
The 10" patch is closed.

We've got piles of troopers asking for the basic shield patch, and now the hat "flash".  Troopers that have NO detachment swag at all.

Maybe we need a 2nd DET Merch officer, or maybe 3 to take care of the Americas, EU/Africa/Asia.

Troopers shouldn't have to wait a year or more for the basics. I don't mean to seem harsh here, but seriously.... In my 2.4 yrs in the MEPD I've run one merch thing (MEPD tickets) bought ONE available coin, and ONE available patch.
And that one patch was a remainder. I was lucky to get it.

The race shirts and all of the detachment specific items typically get posted here:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?/forum/40-sandtroopers-exclusive-merchandise/

Some things are shared and get posted in the 501st Merch section here:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?/forum/83-501st-only-merchandise/

Once things are closed, they get moved here:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?/forum/57-closed-merchandise/

Most things are ran once or twice a year. If troopers are not logging into the forums often enough and miss it, that is not any of the Command Staff’s fault. JRS is a HUGE detachment compared to MEPD so comparing their merch availability to ours is comparing apples and oranges. I’ve been here for 3 years and I’ve managed to get all sorts of patches, race shirts, and if I wanted to and cared about them, coins too. My secret? Even before I was asked to join staff, I checked in the detachment at least a few times a week. I don’t troop that much but I love the MEPD. I will continue to serve as long as the CO allows me to. We may not have all the beer cozy’s and fun stuff FISD/JRS can make but I feel like we do our best. It’s not a matter of Gordon not able to necessarily handle multiple merch runs, it’s also the cost of doing so.

Bottom line, things are in the works. If you want to make sure you don’t miss out, be an active member of this detachment. 

On 7/31/2018 at 10:14 AM, Airborne Trooper said:

I really do not want to come off as elitist but I’m sure it’ll be conveyed that way... BUT we aren’t other detachments. There’s no other detachment that takes accuracy and much more seriously as we do. We’re also a relatively small detachment compared to FISD and JRS. 

I agree with you on the shield patches. We need to get these available and in the hands of new members. @Gordonator is wrapping up the 10” patches now. Maybe he can chime in. It is a lot of work getting things made, shipping, etc. on top of family, work, etc. I tried it for my garrison and couldn’t hack it. 

It's ok!  I'm TOTALLY elitist!   :D 

The good news is that we would love to the make the standard merch (mostly the shield patch) available more often. Unfortunately we don't have the capacity to buy a bunch and make them year round but we are working to get them up here a few times a year. Stay tuned. 

Best place to find new merchandise postings is going to be on the merch section of the forum, and sometimes on the Legion boards. We don't post them on any other platforms (which is the legion rule that many detachments don't follow). So just check back at least 2 times a month and you shouldn't miss anything. 

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Plainsrunner said:

So we've had a fairly long drought in merchandise runs here of late.    I check every day but it's been dead silent over in the Merch sub forums.    :( 

We just had a patch run end less than 2 weeks ago! Lol

Also we have a new PO coin!

The Hockey Jersey is still pending from the legion, hopefully that will resolve soon. 

Just now, henselmonster said:

We just had a patch run end less than 2 weeks ago! Lol

Also we have a new PO coin!

The Hockey Jersey is still pending form the legion, hopefully that will resolve soon. 

Wait a sec....WHAT???  A new PO coin??   How did I miss this?

1 minute ago, henselmonster said:

Its a new version of the same coin, its a 3D sculpt version, check out the sales thread:

http://forum.mepd.net/index.php?/topic/15955-police-officer-may-now-buy-a-second-gold-coin/&tab=comments#comment-205569

Holy crap that looks really nice.   ORDERING!

• 2 weeks later...

Merch comes & goes in waves.....having "stock" is a hard thing to keep track of when staff positions change, not to mention that they are costly. That being said, thank you for making this a great detachment that we are all proud to be a part of. Thank you for the merch  that we do have & thank you for the merch that is to come.

• Like 2