Happy but not happy with my weathering...

jinxed

This is the part I have been dreading. I actually like weathering stuff, but THIS is such an elusive thing. SO much conflicting mental acrobatics going on. Many reference pics show the actual armor looking completely slathered in gunk, others look quite minimal. The old on film vs real life conundrum.

Early on I decided that the PandaTrooper tutorial was the way to go. I actually really like his finished submission pictures and have been striving to achieve that quality. Got all the paints, supplies and went to work. Working the pieces one by one, close up, I was content. Then I pieced the back together and took it outside for a photo as a way to step back from it. Immediately I felt like it looked way too splotchy. The darks too dark and the lights too light. It looks crusty, not dusty. 

So I pulled a couple pieces back, and this time used the paint much more sparingly smearing it around instead of dabbing it on. Then used a bit wetter rag to blot off the excess with less dry time. It looked a bit better and "less is more". So I re-worked everything I had done thinking I had it....but I'm still on the fence. I dont want all the features to look like they are cartoon outlined but I feel thats what I got going on. 

I am considering switching to the hairspray/grout? I have to say I quite like the results Rob achieved in his thread. Especially the all over dusty effect without harsh lines and spots. That bust shot with the pauldron is awesome. My concern is with the hairspray always feeling tacky and adding a weird glossy lacquered look?

This was my first go

42037399084_2ae9998319_z.jpg

Too splotchy so I wiped down the majority, and did another pass much lighter. Took a comparison shot.

27886024667_33a2e0e7eb_z.jpg

Thinking I was happy, I reworked the rest of the pieces I had done. Still not sure it looks right? Maybe it's just being too close and not seeing the whole.

42755414251_5146f021a9_z.jpg

Obviously, you need to be happy with it, but I think it looks great!

I used Pandatrooper’s method too, but only did the burnt umber. I was concerned how it looked, but once I was done I was very happy with it. My Sandy is my go-to costume now because it’s so badass.

21 minutes ago, Bootlegger137 said:

Obviously, you need to be happy with it, but I think it looks great!

I used Pandatrooper’s method too, but only did the burnt umber. I was concerned how it looked, but once I was done I was very happy with it. My Sandy is my go-to costume now because it’s so badass.

I second all of this.... Lol.

OK, something about curiosity and a cat...or cat litter. I ran across the street and picked up a bag of "fullers earth" and a can of aquanet. Cost me a total of $2.89

I did a little test on a scrap ammo belt. Certainly a messier procedure.

What say you to this??

28884189788_0fbefda3fb_z.jpg

This is the part I have been dreading. I actually like weathering stuff, but THIS is such an elusive thing. SO much conflicting mental acrobatics going on. Many reference pics show the actual armor looking completely slathered in gunk, others look quite minimal. The old on film vs real life conundrum.
Early on I decided that the PandaTrooper tutorial was the way to go. I actually really like his finished submission pictures and have been striving to achieve that quality. Got all the paints, supplies and went to work. Working the pieces one by one, close up, I was content. Then I pieced the back together and took it outside for a photo as a way to step back from it. Immediately I felt like it looked way too splotchy. The darks too dark and the lights too light. It looks crusty, not dusty. 
So I pulled a couple pieces back, and this time used the paint much more sparingly smearing it around instead of dabbing it on. Then used a bit wetter rag to blot off the excess with less dry time. It looked a bit better and "less is more". So I re-worked everything I had done thinking I had it....but I'm still on the fence. I dont want all the features to look like they are cartoon outlined but I feel thats what I got going on. 
I am considering switching to the hairspray/grout? I have to say I quite like the results Rob achieved in his thread. Especially the all over dusty effect without harsh lines and spots. That bust shot with the pauldron is awesome. My concern is with the hairspray always feeling tacky and adding a weird glossy lacquered look?

This was my first go
42037399084_2ae9998319_z.jpg
Too splotchy so I wiped down the majority, and did another pass much lighter. Took a comparison shot.
27886024667_33a2e0e7eb_z.jpg
Thinking I was happy, I reworked the rest of the pieces I had done. Still not sure it looks right? Maybe it's just being too close and not seeing the whole.
42755414251_5146f021a9_z.jpg

Looks good to me. I used acrylics like Pandatrooper and then added fullers earth along with the hairspray method. It worked really well and no the hairspray does not stay tacky or glossy. If you’re worried about the outlines look I agree just break up that look by scrubbing in circles and in some areas totally remove the “dirt” from the edges to break them up. I worked with a palette of 3 colors plus then the fullers. After I was done weathering I put the suit on a person and adjusted the overall effects so it didn’t look overdone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, deckard1138 said:

Looks good to me. I used acrylics like Pandatrooper and then added fullers earth along with the hairspray method. It worked really well and no the hairspray does not stay tacky or glossy. If you’re worried about the outlines look I agree just break up that look by scrubbing in circles and in some areas totally remove the “dirt” from the edges to break them up. I worked with a palette of 3 colors plus then the fullers. After I was done weathering I put the suit on a person and adjusted the overall effects so it didn’t look overdone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the same boat when I came to weather mine, that and I had no prior experience in weathering so it was a bit of a learning curve and trial/error to get something to my liking. I used pandas videos as guidance and used primarily the raw and burnt umbers layering one on at a time, then I went back with a scrub pad to take some of the paint off because it was too heavy to my liking, the saying less is more is definitely true in this . Then I sprinkled in some fullers earth to give it some texture and blast hits in some spots. 

But I can relate to the OP about being undecisive through the process , constantly analyzing each piece and wanting to start over again, it began to drive me insane because I wanted it to look great when done. Eventually I just took a step back and followed through with the process I liked and trusted the path I was on, and thus was very happy with how it come out in the end. 

In reference to the photos, I agree that the second attempt on the back pieces looks really good , a much even dusty tone across the surface , it looks great what you're doing there! You got this! 

• Like 1

Well. I've lost my way. I kept going with what I had, adding in the "oil layer" and although it looked genuinely dirty it was just way too much. I actually think it looks cool, but much too far away from what I see on screen or where I want it to be.

28905341118_af8678b72b_z.jpg

I tried to lighten it, but totally killed it. My rag was removing all the nice subtle areas I wanted, and not doing a thing to the overly dark areas. Man trying to paint ABS is just a binary operation...it's either on or off, no in between.

I have been trying over and over with different techniques but just cant hit the mark. If I do come up with something I like, I can't replicate it on a different piece.  Especially having issues getting any kind of subtle weathering on the big areas. Being an artist, this has been particularly frustrating.

• Like 1

The last picture of your shins and belt definitely looks cool. And I also think that it looks realistic. This should be okay for basic approval and for Police Officer (level 2) too. You have to like it. 

As far as the subtle weathering on the big areas is concerned, I would suggest that you do that as a final step. As soon as you have got the dirt right, do a wash with a watered down mixture of black first and then dab almost all of it off using paper towels, do the same with a watered down mixture of sand/earth color and repeat this process until you like it. Just remember to let it dry before you add another wash. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 11:31 PM, Hausi said:

The last picture of your shins and belt definitely looks cool. And I also think that it looks realistic. This should be okay for basic approval and for Police Officer (level 2) too. You have to like it. 

As far as the subtle weathering on the big areas is concerned, I would suggest that you do that as a final step. As soon as you have got the dirt right, do a wash with a watered down mixture of black first and then dab almost all of it off using paper towels, do the same with a watered down mixture of sand/earth color and repeat this process until you like it. Just remember to let it dry before you add another wash. 

BIG thank on this Hausi. I had a couple days I thought the wife was going to bury me in the backyard. I played around with the "wash and dab" and finally was getting some results I liked AND could replicate. I basically took almost everything off and re-worked it back up. Still not 100% happy with all the areas, but MUCH closer to what I wanted it to look like. It's weird, I thought things like the ammo belt that were really detailed would be most difficult, but for me its the bigger smooth areas.

Time to take a huge breath and do the helmet...

Here's where it's at now:

42838921661_fc752969de_c.jpg

41028357450_1de2d567b1_c.jpg

• Like 1

I really need to say that you did an excellent job with the weathering. I know it can be a pain in the b*tt but the results you have showed here are really good.

As Urs already mentioned, should be approvable for #2 as well and I couldn't agree more.

So, great job and you can be proud of what you have achieved! :duim:

• Like 1