My backpack frame is breaking

Plainsrunner

So... my RS Field pack has had a structural failure.   The frame has cracked almost in two right at the location where they attached a cross/support bar (the ones the seed trays are attached to).

I’ll attach a photo later.   I wonder if there is any way to fix it?  

UPDATE:    RS is fixing this for me!  :) 

Hmmm....... got it back to the house and it looks like the frame from RS is PVC rather than metal.   My guess is that when they installed the cross pieces to hold the seed trays, it cracked.   Small but ultimately enough to work into a big crack and undermine the entire frame on that side.    

KVvIsdF.jpg

8jU2gdf.jpg

I've only trooped in it like 4 or 5 times.     Worth emailing RS about?    Not sure what they would do about it, but it might be worth letting them know to see if they might replace it since it's so new (March).  

I am not sure if the dimensions of your trays will be right for the real Karrimor frame, easiest way to fix it I can think of right now is to completely break it apart and insert a wooden dowel or some smaller diameter tube and glue it back together, bondo spraypaint and finally attach those cross pieces again. 

• Like 1

I agree, I would disassemble and insert a wooden dowl for strength, countersink some screws either side to keep it in place, Bondo, paint and rebuild. 

I would advise RS but I don’t know what their response would be though.

Reach out to RS, in the meantime do the suggestions above. Start gathering the pieces and build yourself new pack on the karrimor frame. You've got the high end armor, you're building a high end blaster, so it's only logical that you build a high end pack. 

• Like 1

I have everything I need for the backpack replacement build except for the filter.   

BTW I reached out to RS and Andrea said she was going to pass it along to the guys and one of them would be getting in touch with me.    That was a week ago and I haven't heard back.

Rather than disassemble the pack, I wonder if it's possible for me to get the end cap off the frame and slide a wooden dowel down into it.    Then perhaps use some of that spray foam that hardens to give it extra strength.   

Well.... I can't say I'm pleased with RS Propmasters response to this backpack situation.     1.   I have babied this pack and been super careful with it.   I only trooped in it about 5 times.   It should have held up better than this.    2.   I emailed them about it 13 days ago.   They said they would get some of the guys to look at my pictures and get with me.   A reminder email a week later resulted in reassurance that they were going to have someone get back to me.    Another reminder email Thursday was met with no response.

At this point, and it could change if they at least try to contact me and work with me (even if only suggestions), I can't recommend anyone buy their field packs.   If they can't stand up to less than half a dozen uses and they won't respond with at least suggestions on how to fix it.....   well then I consider that a couple hundred dollar ripoff.    I hope I'm wrong, but it's been half a month and I haven't had any meaningful response from them.  

My experience with RS Propmasters has been all positive until this situation.   There was definitely a flaw in that pack.   I didn't use it enough and took good enough care of it that this shouldn't have happened.

It looks like there was a lot of scratching and stress on that section of the frame where it split. Is it hitting your backplate when you're trooping? Maybe add a layer of foam on the seed trays where they meet your back to help reduce the load on the frame.

You should be able to fix the frame yourself, especially by adding a wooden dowel inside since that is a straight section of PVC. Slide the dowel down the PVC tube, then use some PVC cement to join the broken parts together. Squeeze them tight for about a minute, and that should fix it.

I wouldn't bother adding the expanding foam. It won't increase the strength of the PVC pipes.

Good luck, and let us know your results!

Charlie