My Prop Droid (Urs inspired!)

So here it is:  my build thread of my prop droid.    Big thanks to Hausi for the inspiration and idea!     We all struggle with what to do when we aren't allowed to bring our blasters to a troop! This thread is a documentation of my C3PO head construction.

Goals:    wires coming out of the neck, working eyes, and a sound loop of him saying things from the movies.    I'm thinking about carrying it in net too....  so that it looks like I'm carrying him back to base or something.     I have to think on that and get just the right net though.    

Anyway....  After seeing Urs' thread about his R2 head, I was incredibly lucky to find this accurate scale C3PO fiberglass head:

1hu1eEi.jpg

Now let me say that most people who build C3PO replicas go for chrome finish.    They do this because they are going for the so-called 'throne room' look after he was repaired and polished to a high shine.    I'm going for 'just got caught by a Sandtrooper patrol on Tatooine after wandering the desert' look.   Therefore, painting him the right metallic gold color is my first step without worrying about the high reflective chrome shine.     Here he is after initial painting:

5x72pd2.jpg

So now I will be waiting a few days for him to completely dry.    After that I will weather him.   I haven't completely decided how I'll do it yet.    Still thinking about it.   Electronics in the form of sound and eyes will come after that.   Final step will be wires protruding out of the bottom of the neck.   

What do you guys think?   Follow up progress posts to follow in the coming days.   

• Like 1

This is so cool mate!!!:peace: Already looks great in gold. I know that some of the 3PO builders apply some woodglue to achieve a certain effect to dull down the gold shine, but as yours isn't as shiny, I guess you can directly give it a wash with black and finally a wash with some light brown sand colour, I always use Vallejo model colour earth to achieve that sandy effect. 

Go for it! :)

p. s. why not have one of his eyes hanging out of its socket on some wires!? That would be gnarly;)

Eyes are installed.    They seem super bright with the iphone camera, but they don't in person.   Couldn't figure out a way to keep them from seeming overly bright in the picture.   You get the idea though:

329d1DC.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 01/05/2018 at 12:10 PM, crashmann said:

It would be great if you could get the audio clip of C3-P0 waking up in Empire Strikes Back - "Oh no, I've been shot!"

Charlie

It sounds like the audio is sorted, but to answer this point -

You could easily set up a loop on a cheap ipod shuffle or similar mp3 player and play it through an aker amp stuffed inside the head.

I use something similar for a completely different costume and it works a treat.