Baseball Rubbing Mud Method?

Bootlegger137

Getting close (after about 2 years :rolleyes:) to finished, and have turned my attention to weathering methods.

I know Rick (DirtyBoy) is a proponent of the baseball rubbing mud, but he hasn’t been on the forum since November.

It may sound silly, but does anyone else use the mud, and have tips or instructions on how to apply it? 

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with the method in question, but I personally wouldn't do anything that might be damaged by a bit of rain.

Real mud (unless it's mixed with some sort of fixing agent) seems like it would be both fragile in terms of bumps and general wear
as well as a major risk of getting washed off at the slightest bit of moisture.

I use slip, I made from clay from around the state where I live. I guess it would be similar to baseball mud.
I used different textures and different layers.
I used natural sponges. Some have large holes and some small. I also used the inside of a sock for the looped thread texture.

I mostly swirled and dabbed in  one motion. Sometimes smooshed it down and then swirled when it was semi dry in spots. 

BUT - I found it is best to try to do all of the armor in one day. I found that when I did the arms on one day and then finished another part maybe the next weekend, the result was noticeable. So I cleaned it all and just did it all in one day.

I used a super fine paintbrush for the corners or details like on the "donut twinkie" box on the back, or the "tears" or "grin". Where dirt and grime would naturally gather if it was left out and never cleaned off.

• Like 1