Sandtrooper Weathering feedback.

Filthy Pierre

G'day everyone. had 3 attempts at weathering and all no good for basic approval.  Would like to know what exactly I need to do. 

This is my 2nd attempt at weathering.

GemAYTT.jpg

This is my 3rd attempt at weathering,

umEW1Ya.jpg

This is the colours I was basing it off

V9I0nKS.png

Would like to know what I need to do to get basic approval.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

I would add a burnt umber wash and that's really it. Some of these GMLs need to listen to detachment feedback.

We do, especially from the GML section of the legion boards, also been told it's not up to detachment to access for basic approval when I contacted mepd directly, it only looks after higher levels.

I may add I took the time to edit in Peter in to a line up of recently approved sandtroopers to show the colour/weathering difference, also supplying info on what colours and link to weathering tutorial and CRL weathering page.

In this instance Peter's weathering is looking much better BUT his colouring does have a hint of pink to it, which will stand out compared to the rest of our Sandtroopers, for consistency in the ranks I advised some more colouring, sand/clay orange which is similar to the CRL images of weathering and closer to our other sandtroopers.

Peter has since sent a test image of the colour he is going to add and it looks spot on, I don't see any issues with his application once it is applied.

9 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

I would add a burnt umber wash and that's really it. Some of these GMLs need to listen to detachment feedback.

I used raw umber initially on my second attempt.  Burnt umber is more intense reddish brown and I'm guessing that's what is needed.

45 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

We do, especially from the GML section of the legion boards, also been told it's not up to detachment to access for basic approval when I contacted mepd directly, it only looks after higher levels.

I may add I took the time to edit in Peter in to a line up of recently approved sandtroopers to show the colour/weathering difference, also supplying info on what colours and link to weathering tutorial and CRL weathering page.

In this instance Peter's weathering is looking much better BUT his colouring does have a hint of pink to it, which will stand out compared to the rest of our Sandtroopers, for consistency in the ranks I advised some more colouring, sand/clay orange which is similar to the CRL images of weathering and closer to our other sandtroopers.

Peter has since sent a test image of the colour he is going to add and it looks spot on, I don't see any issues with his application once it is applied.

Thanks Glenn for the feedback. I was worried I was going to be annoying going for constant approval which is why I came here to get it right to limit me taking up your time. :-)

Just need to get more photos taken. Not sure how long that will be. Kids can't take a decent photo. LOL

I can see where your GML wants all of the sandtroopers in the garrison to look uniform. It bothers me when some GMLs think sandtroopers are supposed to be covered in weathering when that's not true. Less is more. Only need to dull out the white with a wash of some sorts and layer on distinct weathering patterns. The new Mimban trooper is an example of the OPPOSITE of what sandtrooper weathering should look like lol. We will embrace that character when/if it comes to MEPD but it's definitely on the extreme spectrum as far as weathering.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:48 PM, Airborne Trooper said:

I can see where your GML wants all of the sandtroopers in the garrison to look uniform. It bothers me when some GMLs think sandtroopers are supposed to be covered in weathering when that's not true. Less is more.

Yes I agree less is more which is the feedback I gave to Peter after his second attempt.

The only sticking point has been the colouring, I realise there are a lot screen images available, which some have sent to me as examples lately, BUT many are either in full sunlight or shaded/shadowed, these images then do not accurately show the correct colouring, most of the lighter shades, tan/sand/rust/orange is lost in these images leaving them looking dark brown/black.

Prime examples of images some of the colouring is lost, first few you find in google images, all you see is black or dark brown.

latest?cb=20130314043427

latest?cb=20171007181555

sandtrooper_hd_063.png

image_961f5653.jpeg?region=0,0,629,354

sandtrooper_hd_107.png

sandtrooper_hd_102.png

For weathering that is mainly black or brown in colour I advise to add a tinge of orange, other terminology could be a shade of rust/clay/earth. To me burnt umber does have a tinge of orange to it especially if mixed as a wash.

Image result for burnt umber

Some images I like to suggest as a guide for weathering are from Pandatroopers thread and also other troopers who have been approved.

4990116121_d341f0f6f6_z.jpg

And although I think a little too much weathering I do like the colouring and layering in the tutorial on looksirdroids.com

weathering_11.jpg

I know for basic approval pretty much most weathering can be allowed but it is nice to have a consistent look between your troops or you can be the odd man out, which gets a lot of attention as one of our older Sandtroopers has found, to which he has recently commented he will be re applying his weathering to match everyone else.

Recently one of the biggest complaints about 501st approvals has been consistency, so if I'm way off in my suggestions of colouring please let me know.

• Like 1

Burnt Umber being the richer colour of Raw Umber that I used when I researched the colour.

I have a better understanding of what is needed now.  Test samples of my current attempt I've sent to my GML which I got good feedback on.

Just need my approval photos taken again.

Its good that my GML wants the consistency in the Garrison as it makes it more uniform that we operate in the same area. Hope the higher levels of PO and SWAT like the weathering so we still match if and when we progress to a higher rank.

• 2 years later...
Yes I agree less is more which is the feedback I gave to Peter after his second attempt.
The only sticking point has been the colouring, I realise there are a lot screen images available, which some have sent to me as examples lately, BUT many are either in full sunlight or shaded/shadowed, these images then do not accurately show the correct colouring, most of the lighter shades, tan/sand/rust/orange is lost in these images leaving them looking dark brown/black.
Prime examples of images some of the colouring is lost, first few you find in google images, all you see is black or dark brown.
latest?cb=20130314043427
latest?cb=20171007181555
sandtrooper_hd_063.png
image_961f5653.jpeg?region=0,0,629,354
sandtrooper_hd_107.png
sandtrooper_hd_102.png.46a97698f3e7c5b2a747be1c68ade1c7.png
For weathering that is mainly black or brown in colour I advise to add a tinge of orange, other terminology could be a shade of rust/clay/earth. To me burnt umber does have a tinge of orange to it especially if mixed as a wash.
sw_460-44.jpg
Some images I like to suggest as a guide for weathering are from Pandatroopers thread and also other troopers who have been approved.
4990116121_d341f0f6f6_z.jpg
And although I think a little too much weathering I do like the colouring and layering in the tutorial on looksirdroids.com
weathering_11.jpg
I know for basic approval pretty much most weathering can be allowed but it is nice to have a consistent look between your troops or you can be the odd man out, which gets a lot of attention as one of our older Sandtroopers has found, to which he has recently commented he will be re applying his weathering to match everyone else.
Recently one of the biggest complaints about 501st approvals has been consistency, so if I'm way off in my suggestions of colouring please let me know.

Is this your armor?
d8a9cee0bcf7452e3b2b4b66d31403e4.jpg

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk