SOLO - Mimban Back Pack

ireachy

This will be a thread where myself and Mr Paul post observations regarding our research since the Big Game teaser trailer regarding the back pack worn by the Mimban Trooper in  the upcoming SOLO movie. It is intended to compliment the existing Mimban trooper CRL thread recently created here on MEPD. Our observations are based upon our extensive work on the Rogue One Crystal Patrol back pack (we have a thread already running here on MEPD breaking down that pack, its found part components and how to build it) and observations we have made where we already think there may be some variations between the packs from the two movies.

The pic is grabbed from the first few seconds of the 'Big Game' teaser from few months ago. This is the presumed 'Recruitment Centre' or 'Transit Centre' that we see only in that teaser. The trooper in the halo shows what looks to be the first shot we ever saw (before the promo cards and pics released within last week or so) of  a trooper wearing a pack. I think I commented on this at the time over on our (Mr Paul and ireachy) R1 back pack thread. 

30516045_2087764851508149_580810433187807232_n.png

We now have the reference from promo pics that show that certain Mimban deployed troopers are sporting R1 style pauldron and also what looks to be the R1 Crystal Patrol back pack or something very, very similar - one can see the LC-1 ALICE pack woodland camo shoulder straps, the cloth shroud (over the top of the pack), the antenna and the infamous RAF dinghy hook clip...

30264552_917306695115136_886965096428653

However, what is interesting is this image. This shows what looks like the left shoulder strap of the Mimban pack is the original (undyed) colour of the LC-1 ALICE pack woodland camo shoulder strap (the one that was used for the R1 pack and which has extra length of padding than the 'standard' Olive Green LC-1 shoulder strap). In R1, both the left and right shoulder straps and padding were dyed black. The left hand shoulder strap in this image has the original U.S. Army issued woodland camo colouration e.g. it has not been dyed black. It is difficult to see the right hand straps colouration in the image. Is it black as per R1 or woodland camo as per the left hand shoulder?

We assume from seeing the 'mudtrooper' kit that much of the Imperial forces in SOLO appear to be filmed using re-purposed R1 kit (which makes sense considering the R1 kit is not that old and archived). The R1 left shoulder strap was dyed black and had a painted orange weathered patch on it. From in-Universe lore and deduction we know that the orange colour is associated with Kyber crystals - the R1 pack with the orange patch is for collecting Kyber crystals and the cannisters carrying the Kyber crystal on the Enforcer tank through Jedha were orange (also seen on Eadhu). For SOLO it is likely that the left shoulder strap was just replaced with a 'standard' woodland camo strap to remove the reference to the obvious orange patch. Although not dyeing it black does seem a little lax on the part of the props department. However, in-Universe could it possibly be that the left strap of the pack designates the pack's use. So a camo strap relates to general field deployment (as at Mimban) whilst the orange patch designates Kyber crystal securement?

The main observation we are making is that the left shoulder strap in this pic appears to present an undyed U.S. Army issued LC-1 ALICE pack woodland camo shoulder strap that was not seen on the R1 Crystal Patrol pack. Also bear in mind as per our R1 Crystal Pack thread that the ALICE woodland camo pack shoulder straps were also reversed e.g. the real World left strap is the R1 right hand strap and vice verse.

30530987_919145144931291_693945708625002496_n.jpg

B5sUHux.png

FhGFReD.png

These 2 images from the trading cards seem to show a black shoulder strap on the right and a camouflage on the left. The r1 hook greeblie is present and the frame looks to be the Swedish M75 again. Also can possibly see a little alice pack poking out the back but unsure. Weather shroud on top appears to have the same webbing and cam buckles as before.

I have all the correct parts of the R1 pack sitting here ready to go so I am very interested to see if the rear of the pack is the same as R1 or whether it has been tweaked or changed. Looking forward to more pictures.

In the second picture the trooper has the poncho on and the weather shroud is still attached to pack so bang goes my theory on the them being the same thing.

• Like 1

I have all the original parts of the Rogue One pack ready to go on this Mimban variant. I am very interested to see if anything has changed on the back of the Han pack. I hope there will be good reference at some point however I am very aware that we may never get the same exposure on it as the R1 Crystal Pack.

OWa4Rqd.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Here is a comparison of the NGT 12ft float master (top) against the the Avanti Precision X (bottom) The NGT is overall a little wider diameter and the line guides are slightly out. The tip has been cut off from my Avanti already hence why the end is missing. The whipping on the NGT is gold instead of red and the eyes are a different diameter but overall a good substitute rod for the antenna.wCAOiBa.jpg

iXN6cky.jpg

15BRydC.jpg

E7PwJUs.jpg

TmS7ssg.jpg

• Like 1