Surprise wedding build

DamnItDavid

Hello. 

One of our garrison members is getting married. His fiance has trooped with us a lot and is wanting to surprise him at their reception with her own armor as an approved member. 

We have the kit,boots are ordered. I have the neck seal and belt taken care of. 

A couple garrison members went in and bought her pauldron as a gift since this is going to be a cool surprise. 

I will have to check the forums here because we still need pouches.

I have helped 2 others with their armor builds, and currently have a TK with centurian award. 

We started off by marking the left and right parts for shoulder, bicep, forum, thighs, and calf. 

Then moved on to marking the return edge. I use 1/4" masking tape so we have a nice edge and dont have to eyevall anything or measure with a ruler. 

0TbdqKD.jpg

For trimming I always start at the bottom.  Especially if you're new, mistakes are harder to notice and peopel normally dont stare at your feet

RKeB9JX.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

This is a great surprise for sure! Awesome! 

More sandy couples! If you want to see how I trimmed up my wife armor check out this thread: 

Thank you sir. 

He is a TK, she wants to be a sandy. Ì'll help as much as I can. Troopers helping troopers,  and they are good people. 

• Like 2

Shins sanded, bottom trimmed, inner cover strip in place

S2pxktu.jpg

Ab and the butt/kidney trimmed and sanded 

cKKYl6t.jpg

I have not cut the butt/kidney plate.  It is stillone piece at the moment, it may stay that way. 

BtsuKgM.jpg

Chest and back trimmed and sanded. 

I am hoping to have the thighs done by monday as well so we can start fitting the core and legs.  

I am off to look at the 3 buttons that fo on the ab. I cut And sanded them down the same way I did my 4 button plate for my TK armor. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 11:23 AM, trooper1 said:

Yeah Dave, as for separating the Butt from the back. It is necessary. Easy to do as well. 

The crl says it is allowable to have a single  kidney and posterier armor piece. 

I talked the options of one piece or seperate with her on Monday. I think one piece looks better, 2 piece is a lot more comfortable to wear.  

Once it is ready for strapping we can make that call. Its a quick score and snap. 

We need the smallest of shims so she has 1/4" gap or less when closed. 

Total amount will be 1" (25mm) added per side

72sJtU7.jpg

When I do shims

I start with the main body of the armor  (ab section) and a smaller strip glued with ABS paste and scrap ABS. It'll be solid and 1 permanent piece. Once that sets I glue the rest of the expansion ontop of the protruding backing piece. 

yEdZi59.jpg

I will add the front piece this evening, then once the ABS paste sets up, I will sand it with 60 then 100. Check for bubbles and fill with a thin layer of paste. 

For the Kidney/butt plate 

oGaQXrj.jpg

I glued a 1" section on top of the original molded edge and filled in the original kidney notch. After this sets up I will trim the extra ABS paste down with the dremel, Then refill that area. 

It's more work, but once finished you won't be able to tell the armor was shimmed. 

This also gives me a chance to sand down and fill that pinch in the armor at the return edge. Most of it will disappear by the time fitting is finished. 

For the helmet 

I trace a quarter 2x so it makes an oval 

sJUwcxr.jpg

I then cut that out and glue that where the hovi tips go.  The plastic there is really thin, this way the tips stay secure and the plastic doesnt buckle or break if they take a bump. 

M8wX98E.jpg

I have cleared out the teeth a little more and cleaned up the eyes. Since I have pieces with ABS papste curing, I will be jumping around a bit while I work on finishing it up. 

Round 1 of sanding on the shims. I will finish them tonight. 

Kidney

H5YiGgP.jpg

Ab not yet sanded

rRas9In.jpg

Better image of the cut out teeth 

szzCycE.jpg

Now time for some lenses 

Place tape and trace

sb08sPo.jpg

I then go 1/4" on the outside of the marked line and put a halfcircle in where i will add a screw

Mark left and right

nJvg6Ap.jpg

I then place it on the material (the side with plastic film)  and trace each side

This gives 2 sets of lenses

ez6eQha.jpg

Bucket assembly started

pTZTE1B.jpg

I use screws at the ears and a dot of e6000 to hold it in place till i get the ears fitted. 

17 hours ago, inklegg said:

Looks like a great start.  Following to see the shim results :)

Thanks. Hopefully finished with them by Sunday.  

This is also a WTF kit. 

I saw in a previous post about your shins. 

C82ckzu.png

That was the hardest part of my tk build as well.  The long/short  was the key for me. 

This armor needs done by June, while i am working on my own costume for the solo premier.  So I bounce back and forth a lot. 

Kidney  sanded down with 60

ZJmxlfo.jpg

When you shim this way,the abs gets little tiny air bubbles.  As you sand most of them go away. For the ones that don't, i thin out the abs paste a lot and paint over them then sand again. For a sandy, weathering will hide any of the tiny ones by the time the armor is done. 

Made progress finally. Had a busy week and didnt get to do much the last few days. 

3 buttons glued on 

0t4Au0p.jpg

Left side sanding done

KoOO2ZA.jpg

Right side sanding done

I have a small divot where the orginal notch was. I am going to cheat and use some wood filler that dries in a natural color. Once weathered it'll be hard for someone to notice. That is a lot easier to sand. 

I may go through and wet sand 800 and 1000 then hit it with novus 2, but being a TD it wont need to be shiny like my TK.