Wook's Docking Bay 94 Captain Build (AP)

Wook1138

So, I have this thread going over at FISD - but I'll post here too.  I recently finished a TK and now I'm starting another build - much to my wife's chagrin.   The goal is to build as close as I can for SWAT approval.  Both kits are from AP so this build should be very similar to my TK build - except of course:

• TD is dirty
  • TD has a pauldron, pouches, and sometimes a pack
  • TD does not have plastic shoulder bridges or large button panel on ab.  They also don't have the 4 button panel - they have a three button panel (not painted)
  • TD is dirty
  • TD does not have the black lines on the traps or tears of the helmet
  • Sniper knee plate if different shape.
  • TD is dirty
  • TD does not have holster or TD (or drop boxes) on the belt

The fun part about the TD build is that one is encouraged to build a specific onscreen trooper.  There was no question for which trooper I wanted to build.  This guy:

DHL9PL3.jpg

The captain that talks to Garindan.

cwujtKH.jpg

The first shot above was one of the most memorable trooper scenes for me back in '78 (didn't get a chance to see the movie until '78 - longest year ever).

The best part about this trooper is that the helmet is still around (it was recently at auction - I think it went for $250K, but don't quote me).  Anyway, there are pictures of the helmet floating around.  Starwarshelmets.com is a good place to see these images.  Here is an example:

Vu93m3C.jpg

This guy.

YLAjgLl.jpg

There is one snag to the whole process.  For basic approval in to the 501st as a TD, you need at least two pouches with one of those being a proper shoulder pouch.  So I will need to add a shoulder pouch in addition to the belt pouches.  For level 2 (PO), I need a backpack.  This trooper does not have one - so If I want to advance to level 2 I need the pack (and from what I understand, I don't need said pack for level 3).  To put together a proper pack takes some time - so I won't be doing that right away.  My plan is to build the actual armour as close as possible to what would be expected at Level 3 (SWAT) and just go for basic approval for now.

I have a variety of pouches so that I will be able to emulate other characters - most notably the Cantina Captain who wears the exact same armor as the Garinden captain.  He also has a pack (#3) - so this might be a Plan B.

Gear collected so far:

First two pics are from trooperbay.  Sniper knee, original strapping kit (the screws showing on the outside of the armor is a upper level requirement), three button plate (as well as all the other button plates), S-trim, and strip stencils.  Although the stencils are the "sandtrooper" stencils, they don't match this helmet - so I will need to modify.
df419e1749c2c9f92a8fb9b66b8bdffb.jpg

Collection of pouches and my pauldron from Trooperbay.  I couldn't decide on which pouch configuration I was going to do, so I ended up with a little of everything.  I have a canvas shoulder pouch and two more leather MP40 pouches in another pic.  I'll have plenty of pouches - I can pretty much emulate both versions of the docking bay 94 captain and the cantina captain.
dfec9777e8476d0843ed3f18d1ddc494.jpg

From Anthony (blaster 8266) . Nice!!  I can use these for the Cantina Captain if it comes to that - plus I need the shoulder pouch for basic approval.

327eaee6fff7fb83028f055c629eec9e.jpg

3D print of a T-21 from TK421 propstop
373fc60b519052bd26867b7f8f8691a3.jpg

Sling, sling swivel, tubing for theT-21.  Some wire for my DLT-19 as well.  I'm still missing a few greeblies for the T-21, but I think I have them sorted out.
462e36a6bde7a9251d672c23d1cc3f26.jpg

Need some wire around the t-tracks and some dirt, but this DLT-19 should be good to go if I decide to emulate the Cantina Captain.

54g0ZGb.jpg

Starting with the helmet.  For those who haven't worked with AP armor, it is sanitized compared to something like RS.  So the helmet is pretty smooth.  Adding the details will be a balance of getting it to look like the reference material but not making it look to out of place with the rest of the armor.  Anyway... .

helmet

d9e9668784065f7d37998b832ab3af0a.jpg

I trimmed around the ears but used a drill to avoid a sharp corner (I get nervous with sharp corners as they invite tearing).
6439db3042a12045a86584fc0447b5ff.jpg

Then I scored and snapped the extra off. cb89cc788247c82359733fe503e205ed.jpg

And then with reference pics in hand I started to carefully shape the eyes to match the original.
9fcbee853f9ba954a6b82715fc03700d.jpg

So, this will be a slooooow build.  I used up all my favours with my family during my TK build.  Anyway, all I’ve managed to do in a week is get one eye more or less shaped and started to test the positioning of the brow. :rolleyes:

Having a number of detailed images of the helmet is great – the light plays tricks with the subtle return edges so many angles of the same thing are necessary.  And the return edges on the AP armor are a little soft, so that makes things a little tougher when you’re trimming to match the original.

5fb22153b70430b129e47925b7aa8be3.jpg

Still have some work to do.

Also, that brow is as far up as it will go without trimming.  So… I guess I will be trimming the brow area of the helmet.  Also, it looks like the brow in the reference pick is thinner too.  I will also need to trim the opening at the bottom of the helmet a little more than I did with the TK so my head will fit in.

To match my helmet to the original, I’ve been taking pictures of my helmet to match the reference pictures (relative camera location and lens zoom) and overlaying the images in Photoshop.  I think I have a set-up that matches the original photos. Now I just have to mark up my helmet with some tape with reference points and I should be able to place things like tube stripes, paint runs, and cracks in the right location.  I’m terrible at free-handing anything.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, scottjua said:

I have some VERY close up and detailed high res images of the original bucket if you wanna get crazy with the detailing. 

As interested as I am, I'm afraid what my OCD would do with that information :) 

Here is another composite of my helmet and the original. I put tape on according to the measurements I did with the marked tape to size and locate the brow in the right spot. I realized that the original appears to have extra plastic trimmed from the bottom- good news for my big Mellon.
9c47c7adf49860ed6700bac6bfca558b.jpg

Made some marks and trimmed for the brow
e0a187f007d684627892e4c9237a3938.jpg

Adjust the locations of the bottom screws.
5f9cda9bb5a7d97095f290530e07732e.jpg

I might shave a bit more off in the center part of the brow but I’m pretty happy with how it is looking. I had to shape the sides a little so the brow ran parallel with the top and bottom of the traps.
ba99fd0fc29d4c378668df227469eefd.jpg

Compared with my TK bucket.
dc5f3b83b01fdf398bcb11c1ef198c53.jpg

Oh yeah. This came in the mail a couple of days ago. Thanks m4vrick (Vincent)!! I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about a pack.  I like the ones CrookKnight sells - I just worry about the 3D printed canteen - I'm clumsy enough to break that off when trooping.  This should be more durable.

ef7a3d40a08691ff20ec9b79350a06c8.jpg

Picking away at things. I’m upgrading my TK right now for a big troop in a couple weeks, so not much time left for the TD.

I got the ears rough trimmed and on for my first of many rounds of seeing where I need to trim. This guy has spaces, so I don’t need to close the gap.

Question:  is his right ear thinner than his left?  All the pics I've seen seems to suggest so, but the angle is hard to figure out.

e48690b2d2d0850a067bc0875cad0f46.jpg

Here are the ears. The tape are reference markers for paint blemishes on the original.
1d413a9593d97e3533d659610f6cadc7.jpg

The original has a very roughly painted surface. I won’t be replicating every bump of course - just the ones that are seen onscreen or have been pointed out in previous SWAT applications. Of course, SWAT applications are notorious for becoming more strict every application. I did consider painting the helmet HDPE-like green and then painting over with white - but I didn’t want to do that for the whole suit. Plus, I want the whole thing to still look good in person to the general public. I want it to look like how they think they remember the armour looking, if that makes sense.  Maybe others will chime in and change my mind about that. ;)

I’m trying to test how I’m going to add the paint drips. Just using white paint doesn’t work well - it is a warmer white and just interacts with light differently than ABS. So I’m planning on using ABS paste. Really runny ABS paste as it turns out. Paint is on the right. My first attempts at ABS paste on the bottom. Final test on the left. Should work but the ABS does dimple so... who knows.

48d57e7b2da2417788515f12b53b112f.jpg

You can’t tell from the pick, but I was able to fine tune the locations of the blemishes by overlaying pics in photoshop.
20885b1eca667c6daca3b4f9b61dabb1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Amazing attention to detail, that's what we need here at the MEPD, great work mate:duim:

I'll be watching this build with anticipation.

One thing about the ears though, they fit nice and snug now as it seems but bigger gaps would be screenaccurate. 

• Like 1

Same here, i love your attention for details! i'll be following with great interest!

Imho the helmet is, beside the armor weathering of  course, the most noticeable part of every TD!

Keep up your good work!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hausi said:

One thing about the ears though, they fit nice and snug now as it seems but bigger gaps would be screenaccurate. 

Yeah, I noticed that in the pics (and have seen more than one SWAT applicant get called on it too ;) ).  It took a lot of effort to get rid of the gaps on my TK build... and now for my TD I have to add them.  :tongue:

7 hours ago, RoCKo said:

Imho the helmet is, beside the armor weathering of  course, the most noticeable part of every TD!

Agreed!  After staring at reference images, it is amazing how different they can look.  And armor or not, it is usually the person's face we look at most... well, usually.

So I just bit the bullet and went ahead with the defacing of a perfectly good TK bucket. I mixed up some ABS paint. Which is essentially coloured acetone, and proceeded to slop it onto my helmet. :vomit-into-the-toilet:

This will take a few attempts and some sanding and polishing, I’m sure. It is just a few drops here and there, but still nerve wracking.

1a0518eafdb49dfeacd19a93e775b6ef.jpg

9 hours ago, m4vrick said:

You did very well on these paint drips. I just noticed this thread. And will be following with great interest ! Go on Greg, you have our support! 

Thanks Vincent!  

5 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

How'd you mange to get the ABS paste in place exactly how you wanted without it running?

Short answer: practice. I used a small brush, dipped it in the ABS paste, and carefully brought it to the exact spot I wanted. As the “paint” transfers to the helmet, I dragged the paint brush upwards when it starts to look like the drip is getting too large. The ABS paint sets very quick, so if it looked like it might start to run, I just gently blew on it and tilt the helmet back. The paint forms a skin very quickly so you can use that to keep things in place.

Oh, and luck.

I actually had no intention of doing this when I did but I was testing the consistency of the ABS paste and it was working on a piece of scrap, so I went for it. 

• Like 1

Found some time to work on my helmet again today... happy stormtrooper day (TK 4-21). I had no idea that was a thing until today. Anyway. I think I finished my paint blemishes and I fine tuned the shape of the brow some more. I still have to finish shaping the ears and cut some length off the brow.

I found this on someone’s SWAT application - used it as a partial check list

db1661c571175211ceb4357608f8675d.jpg

Here are mine. The lighting isn’t great and you can’t really even see the large run on the top, but weathering should bring out some detail.

79d9e235ed8b718cd481fcec443967d4.jpg
e176ff85bc648a536467b71b93c49af0.jpg
665a7abdcc169b090524486e640ec521.jpg
675c502f0141f57a539e64d1bce88cd8.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have not been working much on the armor these last few weeks - summer weather and young kids keeps a guy busy enough.  I have managed to get a few things done. 

So I have my arms glued together and ready for strapping.  My thighs have the inner cover strip glued in.  My right thigh needed some extra work so I glued the top half first and the bottom half is setting tonight.  The shins have an inner cover strip in place and one shin has the outer cover strip glued on - then I ran out of magnets.

pwgy94m.jpg

Managed a little more work on the helmet.  I painted the frown and started on the traps and tears.  I will need to expand the traps and tears a bit - the return edge is tricky to assess on the softer AP helmet.  Taking a picture with the flash really brings it out so it is easier to compare to the reference material.

89MXM8Z.jpg

NFzdPBK.jpg

07w2o6e.jpg

Cjw6URN.jpg

I broke off a piece from the upper left corner of the left eye (right corner in pic).  You can kind of see it in the first picture above.  I added some ABS paste and will sand it down tomorrow.  Doesn't look like much in the picture, but I almost threw-up when it happened. :shok:  Gotta love that ABS paste!

L4U2qxt.jpg

I also started the tedious process of sanding my T-21 3D printed model.  I'm using a rust coloured filler primer - I might use this with liquid mask to create a worn rusted look eventually.  I'll see what I think then I actually start to paint.

luKy840.jpg

This is actually my second coat of filler primer.  the pieces on the left have been sanded up to 600 grit.  I will need at least one more coat of primer - probably two.

uAuLXvY.jpg