First TD Build

Volksjager

It's been a long time coming but I am finally started my TD build. After completing my ANH Tie Pilot last year I had been waiting for the right time to get started on a Sandy and the opportunity came earlier in the year when one of our garrison members was selling a built set of TM armour that had been set up as a TK. It fit quite well except I would have to shims the sides and adjust a few straps.

After I finished some mods to my Tie pilot setup I got into the Sandy a couple of weeks ago and started working on the conversion. I plan to post up pics as I go along so warning this thread might get picture heavy.

Here is the armour when I received it all. The only part I had to supply was the boots, which are from Imperial boots. The TM set is fantastic and 99% of it is perfect for me.

ClD597.jpg

So first thing to do from here is to take off any parts that are TK which included the ab plate buttons, the shoulder straps on the chest plate and the piece on the left knee. So glad it was put together with E6000!

SYm5tW.jpg

I also had to remove the holster from the belt and remove the drop boxes 

AaoVSt.jpg

Was kind of nice to have it started and could start to see it taking shape. 

Next thing to tackle as the shims on the sides. My widest gap was about 5cm and knowing that I would love to get to at least Police Officer status I would need to get these closed. I started doing some research on various forums for the best way to close this down and decided to add some styrene sheet in a similar colour and then paint up the kidney piece.

I started by trimming the return edge and then adding some styrene to pad out the gap

rDvGrY.jpg

Then added a piece on the inside to support the face piece and give strength

7YbLvj.jpg

Once dry I could then attach the outside plate. Rather than just butt joining them together I decided to slice both edges on a 45 degree angle to create a smoother overlapping join and by adding glue on this edge it would give more overall strength. After the E6000 had dried I could try out my shims and I found I need to adjust the angle of the kidney and bring the sides in a touch. I decided to use a heat gun but geez it was scary, I was worried I would melt everything! It seem to work though

vsuuhk.jpg

Now everything fit it was time to fill it all up. I was going to use an ABS paste but since I would need to paint it all up to match the colour anyways and it was all very rigid I decided on Milliput in the superfine white. It all dried nicely and sanded very well

qqDJDE.jpg

Some more test fitting , trimming and then some adjusting and it was time to paint. I just used a humbrol gloss while rattle can for the base white, followed by some custom mixed white in the airbrush to match the new plastic in with the old and a bit of clear over the top. Reinstall the 3 rivets on the left hand side and I am pretty chuffed with the result!

W33jHk.jpg

Onto weathering. I have also been researching this quite a lot and decided on the acrylic paint route as I think it looks more natural. I watched a few of the videos in the weathering section here beforehand and gathered my supplies to start. Rather than going freehand I wanted to base the look on a trooper from the movie. I think this will help for the future PO application anyways. 

The first part was the chest and ab, in the picture below the chest was almost finished and the ab has just been started

AcuwmV.jpg

My finished back piece

m03XNh.jpg

Finished belt

2CEx3M.jpg

90% Finished bucket 

ayWtbz.jpg

Handguards 

HdqQPC.jpg

Thighs and right shin

jfSb3a.jpg

I am going to add a little more tan to the lower shin and also upper thighs and maybe the bucket but not 100% yet. I will also apply some pigments to some of the thicker weathered areas for a little more of the crusty look. I still have to do my belt, shoulder bridges and boots. 

I am still waiting on my pauldron, sniper plate & pouches to come in so I am waiting to weather my right shin until then. Hopefully not to far way!

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the comments. Got a little achieved last night but will take some pics later tonight of more progress.

mikelbrierly: Thanks for the tip on the belt. I was thinking I would have to do something about the holes but I will definitely get onto it. 

Question while I am thinking about it. What did everyone use to weather there canvas part of the belt and shoulder bridges?

12 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Wet sponge and washed out burnt umber acrylic paint. A little goes a long way

Many thanks, will give it a go. 

Didnt get a huge amount done in the last couple of days, just finishing the weathering, adding a little more on the bucket in certain areas, like around the ears, but that's about it. I did manage to get my latex handguards on last night though 

fzQlL6.jpg

Just need to weather the gloves around the connection and I am set. Since I am still waiting on the pauldron/pouches/sniper plate I think this weekend will be devoted to preparing my E-11. Its a doopy's with the T-Jay completion kit. I am also working on a pipe build blaster and if it works, I will post the progress ;) 

Thanks guys! Glad I am on the right track with the build. 

As I am waiting for more parts to come in I decided to build my E-11 this weekend. As a Tie Pilot I carry a DL-44 but have always wanted to build a nice E-11 for trooping. I am starting with a Doopydoo's full resin kit but also purchased a T-Jay completion set to finish off the build. I like the kit, there are just some rough spots and I think I can iron a lot of it out. There will be no electronics in this one, might save that for my other project I have going as well 

I didn't take a lot of pics while I was building but here are some from last night. First pics are of both parts I mainly focused on. On the sterling I managed to get everything cleaned up attached the handle and mag port and I also drilled out the bottom set of holes along the barrel. Also drilled out the lumps of resin at the front of the barrel and replaced with proper hex head screws.

Sjh1WA.jpg

BMmukx.jpg

I also worked on the folding stock. Though the majority of the work will be covered up when in position I am one of those people that just want to get everything looking right so I have cut out the molded rod on the inside and drilled out the frame holes on the bottom, cleaned up the front area to give a cleaner look, cut out certain area's to make them look like they are all separate parts, drilled out the rivets to install new more details ones and then finally used a bit of filler to recreate the connections at both ends on the rod. Still a work in progress as there is a little more to add yet

HPPksG.jpg

6fhs7S.jpg

gSBuER.jpg

Iuhzzy.jpg

Got a bit achieved over the last couple of days.

I trimmed up the sniper knee plate and attached it to my shin. Decided to fill in the plate with spare ABS and put a plate on the back before using a bit of E6000 to attach

S1dbI3.jpg

IYcyLT.jpg

Once dry I can continue my weathering. I planned to get the shin & boots done and anything else If I had the time. Was really hard to dirty up brand new white boots but I am really happy with the result.

Fx4LEc.jpg

pWVKSg.jpg

Here is the boots with both shins 

o501Cj.jpg

As a bonus I also managed to get my belt and shoulder strapping weathered. I used the suggestion from Airborne Trooper and grabbed my rag I used for wiping my acrylic paint down from the weathering and wiped down the length of the belt. Got a great consistent colour and look. Also sewed up the hold left from the E-11 holster originally on the belt.

LdIFVt.jpg

T4Oze9.jpg

Next job, to dust the pauldron and pouches, work out a strapping system for the shoulder holster as I won’t have a backpack straight away & fit my lenses to the helmet. After that I should be ready for test fitting and submission!

I agree, looks great already but I think the sniperknee has too much returnedge left, I think you could trim of a little more. I guess telling you now is bad timing as it's already glued in place but I think it would look better with a thinner returnedge. If you have used E6000 you could take it off...

Bugger! Ok so looks like the knee plate is coming off. How thick should it be. I couldn't find any reference on the CRL and looking at the plate I though I could see a cut line impression. What should it trim to?

The plate might have been glued to the shin with E6000 but the internal's aren't ;)