Parts to Identify

bearden6521

Has anyone identified the tube shaped item that runs along the left side of the pack and the blue "funnel" at the bottom left of the pack? If that's a funnel is there a name for it, etc?

Not sure what tube you're talking about...perhaps the smaller one opposite of the morter tube? If so, it's different on each pack. For the 'white dial' pack, it's rather involved. I used a piece of rubber hose, then ran a 1/2inch PVC pipe down the center to reinforce and create the nubs on each end. I then wrapped two hose clamps around it and attached the whole thing with two black zip ties.

original...

Posted Image

mine...

Posted Image

as for the thing at the bottom, or what I call the 'Bee Stinger', I used the bottom half of a Tupperware (shocker!) pitcher. It came with the radar dish lid and it didn't even hit me until a month later that I could cut it up and use it for that! I've sculpted a small 'add-on' dome that you can attach to the bottom, but have not figured out what to use for the actual stinger.

Not sure what tube you're talking about...perhaps the smaller one opposite of the morter tube? If so, it's different on each pack. For the 'white dial' pack, it's rather involved. I used a piece of rubber hose, then ran a 1/2inch PVC pipe down the center to reinforce and create the nubs on each end. I then wrapped two hose clamps around it and attached the whole thing with two black zip ties.

as for the thing at the bottom, or what I call the 'Bee Stinger', I used the bottom half of a Tupperware (shocker!) pitcher. It came with the radar dish lid and it didn't even hit me until a month later that I could cut it up and use it for that! I've sculpted a small 'add-on' dome that you can attach to the bottom, but have not figured out what to use for the actual stinger.

Exactly what I was asking! I have seen some packs that have what appears to be a funnel. Maybe it's just me but on some movie clips I thought that beestinger looked slightly rectangular or square? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Thanks for the info on the left side tube. By any chance could you provide the length of the rubber hose, 1/2 pvc pipe and what you put on the ends of the pvc pipe to close it off (or is it not capped off)? Also, how did you attach your beestinger? I'll have to look at funnels to see if any would fit the bottom of a pitcher if they were to be cut down.

CRAP! My wife had an old 1 QT pitcher in a box for an upcoming yardsale. I discovered it a couple months back and used the lid for a radar dish....I threw the pitcher in our recycle bin not thinking it would be needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Mike mentioned that he fabricated the box behind the radio face plate out of styrene. Is there another alternative that would work? I will be needing a radio face plate and I'm not sure if I can fabricate a box for it to sit on!?

...I will be needing a radio face plate and I'm not sure if I can fabricate a box for it to sit on!?

and that's why I'm thinking of assembling them myself, as an entire piece ready to install. It will take more work, time and in the end more cost, but at least folks will look good!

I've cast some really nice stereo knobs and found some really cool 'things' here at work to make the main dial. Rob 5422 found a bunch of toggle switches on ebay for us in the Garrison to use, but I don't think he has enough for all the radios I plan to make.

Exactly what I was asking! I have seen some packs that have what appears to be a funnel. Maybe it's just me but on some movie clips I thought that beestinger looked slightly rectangular or square? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Thanks for the info on the left side tube. By any chance could you provide the length of the rubber hose, 1/2 pvc pipe and what you put on the ends of the pvc pipe to close it off (or is it not capped off)? Also, how did you attach your beestinger?

I think the bee stinger is most certainly round shaped. What it actually is, I have no idea, but I thought Tupperware pitcher worked pretty good.

How did I attach it... the frame has a small rail at the bottom. I cut holes in the pitcher that are the same size as the rail, then cut groves that were of a smaller width that the rail could squeeze through, then 'snap' in the holes. It literally snaps on.

Length of the hose/PVC... as I often do, I eye-balled it, so I don't know off the top of my head. Many of things I fabricate are based on perceived sizes to other adjacent parts, giving a over-all look of correct proportion. I'm not always perfect or precise and it generally takes me a few tries to get things right. The PVC pipe is just left open.

Hi guys,

I don't know if any of you have the original Star Wars Trilogy DVD set. It came with a 4th DVD (Star Wars Trilogy Bonus Material) that was a documentary and had production photos from the movie. If you got to the production photo's section and click on ANH, there is a picture of an actor (who is a sandtrooper) off camera talk to George Lucas. In this photo you see a good shot of the Left side Backpack Tube and how it's held on - Looks like 2 pieces of wire. The top also looks like a knob of some kind. If anyone knows how to capture this picture and put it up it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jack Vartuli

Redfox@optonline.net

• 1 month later...

The pic below is usually referred to for the filter packs. Did anyone notice the move along pack in the top right corner. You can see the left side tube thing. It was mentioned before that the left side of the pack was not really seen to know for sure what was there. It looks to me like the same thing the other packs have. Maybe someone can screen capture this part of the movie to see if we can get a pic of the bottom of it to get an idea of it's overall length. Harry

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the left side tube today for my SB-MH move along pack. From the pics I looked at, the tube is a couple of inches above the frame and extends to the middle of the bottom main box.

Mike & Seth, thanks for your input and/or pics on this subject matter!

Here are the measurements and parts I decided to use...

1) 1/2" PVC (Schedule 90) cut to 17-1/4"

2) 5/8" inside diameter discharge hose cut to 15-1/4"

3) 1/2" inside diameter rubber cap (used for chair legs).

4) two 3/4" to 1-1/16" metal hose clamps

The clamps were painted with fusion satin black. I had to wrap 2 or 3 small strips of duct tape around the top portion of the 1/2" PVC to thicken it for the rubber cap to have a tighter fit. I also added a small dab of liquid nails to the inside of the cap to secure it to the PVC. The bottom portion of the rubber hose was taped off (approximately the bottom 3 inches of it). I sprayed the exposed 1-1/4" of PVC tube with fusion satin black. Removed the tape from the rubber hose and tightened the hose clamps down. All of the parts for this were purchased at an ACE Hardware Store. I plan on securing it to the frame with two pieces of wire like the behind the scenes pic posted in this thread by freakengine (after everything else is put on the frame of course).

Here are a couple pics. I threw in a breadkeeper to give a better idea of it's length...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was the easiest thing to put together so far. Hopefully it will look good once it's added to the completed pack!

I picked up the new ANH DVD, ripped it and took some new screenshots. The scene that was covered up with a giant Ronto beast is now gloriously seen!

Notice that the 'Move Along' pack DOES NOT have the side pole! Bastards!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

what do you mean with side pole, mike?

btw, nice clean shots!

may i photoshop them and add them to the backpack reference section?

In the alley-way scene, that same pack can be seen with a side pole on the left hand side. It is missing in the road block scene.

do what you would like with the pictures.

BTW, for those interested... I ripped the movie using Handbrake in OS X, used the H.264 codec, 192kbps audio with two-pass encoding. The entire movie is a slim 1,000mb and looks virtually identical to the DVD, as those screen caps will attest to. Added it to my iTunes 7 playlist and BAM!