Am I dirty enough? Weathering help needed.

Gungnirs Flight

Hi Guys 

I am doing my first RS Props TD build. I have joined with the Southern Cross Garrison who have been a fantastic help, but to get the real knowledge on dirt I have come to the experts.

I have come to the stage where I have to start weathering the armor. I have done a few pieces so far and looking for opinions to see if I am heading in the right direction.

I have been following the Panda Trooper weathering tutorial. In the pictures is the first pass of acrylic Burnt Umber. The next stage will be the mix of Black Burnt Umber and a Sandy Yellow . Last pass being weathering powder to finish from Trooper Bay.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers Jade

IMG_2894IMG_2893IMG_2891IMG_2892

Looking good!! With sandtroopers weathering should follow the “less is more” rule. The screen used armor isn’t as heavily weathered as most think. You’re on the right track. Maybe tone down the dark spots with a little light tan, it will lighten the weathering in some spots and give it a cool layered look.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Looking at the armour after reading your comment. It looks like I jump into a mud bath rather than desert oasis. I will tone back on the burnt umber where less is more and get more of a sandy light tan second pass. 

Printing off some photos for immediate reference would be a good idea as well. 

Thanks again, cheers Jade 

• 2 weeks later...

The dirty spots look good but overall I think it still looks too white. We here in Germany use Vallejo model colour earth for the final pass of weathering, give your armor a wash with a watered down mixture then immediately dab most of it off again with a rug or paper tissue, you may repeat this process until you have achieved the look you like.