New guy with a few questions

Wook1138

Hi there. 

I'm just about to start my TD build (I recently finished a TK build over at FISD  and could not be happier about that experience).  I know I want to emulate the Docking Bay 94 captain (the guy who talks to Garinden).  I have the pouches needed for this character and the "stop that ship" character (yeah, I know, same guy - different pouches apparently).  I've also ordered the canvas shoulder pouch and leather MP40 pouches (from Blaster 8266) for the Cantina Captain (for when/if I get a backpack).

My question is - do I need a shoulder pouch for basic approval if I'm emulating a particular character?

Also, I haven't researched backpacks very much yet - I was planning on going for basic approval without a pack.  I know I will not have the time to build a pack completely from scratch.  I looked at Crooked Knight's (Imperial Trooper Packs) back packs.  They look awesome but cost almost as much as my armor did.  Any recommendations for a guy who can't spend too much time sourcing all the parts but wants a decent pack at the end of the day?   Does anyone offer kits?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome here in the MEPD.

Yes, you need a shoulder pouch for basic approval.

I know, a good Backpack is expensive. But we want to look good :dancing-trooper:

Sometimes, a trooper sells his Pack, or Kits or Parts. A look at the "supply depot" is worthwhile.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigwam said:

Please clear this with your GML. We in Germany, need the shoulder pouch for Basic approval!

You don't have to check this with your GML.  The CRL clearly states the following:

The standard configuration calls for a minimum of two pouches:

• one pouch on the left shoulder and one on the right hip.
  • A third worn on the opposite hip is allowed.

This is not free for interpretation. When you decide to go for SWAT you'll need to comply to the basic rules/ standards first for approval.:)

So, a few more questions...

I want to build my armor as close as possible to this guy -  the docking by 94 captain who talks with Garindan.  There is great reference material out there, especially for the helmet, so that is all good.

DHL9PL3.jpg

From what I've read, this is the same armor as the Cantina captain.

O640TBu.jpg

I've also seen this alleyway captain referred to as well.  Is this because it is the same armor or is this reference for the pack?

RBVDXA9.jpg

I know for PO and SWAT that I need a pack.  Since the character I am going for does not actually have a pack - do I need to build a character specific pack if I apply for PO/SWAT at some point?  Would I have to build a #3 pack? 

I admit, I've been looking at some of the reference pics (and "researching" ANH :) ) and I'm finding it hard to discern details from the on-screen packs as outlined in some of the newer SWAT applications.

Also, and I hate  to go back to this, but for the CRL - the below is indicated for basic approval regarding pouches. 

Option: If choosing to replicate a screen used configuration of equipment, the number of pouches may be altered.

• See the MEPD SWAT page for more details.
  • Note: Screen used configurations also include specific color Pauldrons and individual backpacks styles.

If the shoulder pouch is absolutely required (as had been mentioned in previous posts), the wording in the CRL should be reworked. For a new trooper, this is confusing  (well, at least for me it was).

Thanks in advance! :salute:

Well, if you decide to go for SWAT immediately after basic approval and you won't need a pack as this specific trooper doesn't wear one. But if you want to go for PO first, that will require a backpack and having no pack will not get PO approval.

The first reference is for the armor and the other reference is for the backpack. :)

We try to make everything understandable for everyone and the piece you copied from the CRL has never been an issue, but we are looking into the CRL text if any changes need to be made. If there are changes needed they will be made.

Also a "new guy" to this forum and just have to ask:

35 minutes ago, dutchy said:

Well, if you decide to go for SWAT immediately after basic approval

So one don`t have to go PO to reach SWAT?

1 hour ago, dutchy said:

piece you copied from the CRL has never been an issue, but we are looking into the CRL text if any changes need to be made. If there are changes needed they will be made.

And as Greg mentions the CRL is very clear that for basic approval when emulating a specific trooper the combination/configuration of pouches may vary from the standard "one at the hip and one at the shoulder". If that`s not the case then the CRL needs changing - not trying to be a nuisance just offering a fresh set of eyes :salute:

And while on the subject.  The Trooper I`m shooting for is this one (Davin F) and the pic shows a standard E-11 and the same goes for all the ref-pics for specific Troopers so it would help new recruits like myself if that got changed with saying: E-11 (for SWAT "bapty" version) :)

Posted Image

2 hours ago, dutchy said:

Well, if you decide to go for SWAT immediately after basic approval and you won't need a pack as this specific trooper doesn't wear one. But if you want to go for PO first, that will require a backpack and having no pack will not get PO approval.

Thanks for the response!  Ahhh.  To echo Daniel... I did not know this!  Over at FISD we had to go through level 2 before 3 so I just assumed the same here.  Thanks for the clarification!  So, no backpack needed for SWAT if going for packless character - big check!

2 hours ago, dutchy said:

We try to make everything understandable for everyone and the piece you copied from the CRL has never been an issue, but we are looking into the CRL text if any changes need to be made. If there are changes needed they will be made.

The way I read it , the CRL indicates that if I am going for a particular character, then I don't need the shoulder pouch if that character does not have one.  But the previous posts above indicate that I need a shoulder pouch for basic regardless.  If that is the case, then, yeah, I find the CRL confusing (but I find most things confusing).   I'm just trying to sort things out for myself so I can make the most of this build.  Thanks.

17 hours ago, dutchy said:

The first reference is for the armor and the other reference is for the backpack. :)

I have to correct myself and apologise. You do need to reach PO status first so skipping PO isn't an option.

Henselmonster post clearly shows the procedure.

Again, my bad! :(

13 hours ago, henselmonster said:

On our SWAT requirements page it does state that you’ll need to be a deployed police officer. 

912501EC-25D5-4DD8-8289-247AF9FACC52.png

But it isn’t specifically stated in the CRL.

Thanks for posting this here. I've completely read over that.

the path that should be followed is,  501st basic approval---> Police Officer---> SWAT Officer.

14 hours ago, dutchy said:

I have to correct myself and apologise. You do need to reach PO status first so skipping PO isn't an option.

No worries.  That actually makes more sense.

To summarize, if I'm going for the no-pack, Garindan trooper (Stop that ship) for SWAT approval, I will need (in addition to orange pauldron, two small Spanish pouches, spot-on weathering, and the T-21):

1. Basic approval: shoulder pouch 
  2. PO: Any backpack that passes PO requirements and shoulder pouch.
  3. SWAT: luck and patience. :) Unleash the OCD.

I've been going through a number of the SWAT and PO applications - but is there a place/thread that outlines the backpack requirements (reference gallery with descriptions) for Basic vs PO vs SWAT aside from what is in the CRL.

Thanks again.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, dutchy said:

woah woah woah. I was informed that I could not be the roadblock captain (v2) for SWAT unless I had completed PO and that meant I was required to build a pack, even though the captain (v2) does not have a pack. This is the reason for me just sticking with plain old level 1.  And not moving to PO. Because of $$ of building a pack that I will only require for approval purposes.  

1 hour ago, Fraulein said:

woah woah woah. I was informed that I could not be the roadblock captain (v2) for SWAT unless I had completed PO and that meant I was required to build a pack, even though the captain (v2) does not have a pack. This is the reason for me just sticking with plain old level 1.  And not moving to PO. Because of $$ of building a pack that I will only require for approval purposes.  

Relax trooper :)  He retracted that statement. You need PO before SWAT, and you need a pack for PO.  

Yeah, kind of a wrench in the works for no pack troopers. 

10 hours ago, Fraulein said:

8 hours ago, Wook1138 said:

Relax trooper :)  He retracted that statement. You need PO before SWAT, and you need a pack for PO.  

I'm sorry for the caused confusion @Fraulein But I also overread the rule that you first must go for PO and then SWAT..

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:24 PM, Wook1138 said:

No prob. I know about the PO before SWAT . 
But cost of building a pack for approval purposes in order to progress to a no pack SWAT trooper just blows. I blame Noel and Daniel. :P 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:06 AM, dutchy said:

I'm sorry for the caused confusion @Fraulein But I also overread the rule that you first must go for PO and then SWAT..

Understood.  There are some differences in the CRL over at the main 501st and the one here (I think here). There are some wording differences. One or the other has not been updated. But I don't recall which one. 

We're currently looking into changing the wording, where needed, in the CRL. What I've noticed is that when you still have an old link it directs you to the page it was at that moment...

*note to self, look into the correctness of the current link*

If you are, this is bit that confused me about pouches.  The way this is written, it conveys that you can go with the standard configuration, OR, you can follow the option of replicating a screen used configuration. 

• The standard configuration calls for a minimum of two pouches:
    • one pouch on the left shoulder and one on the right hip.
    • A third worn on the opposite hip is allowed.
  • Option: If choosing to replicate a screen used configuration of equipment, the number of pouches may be altered.
    • See the MEPD SWAT page for more details.
    • Note: Screen used configurations also include specific color Pauldrons and individual backpacks styles.

If we require "one pouch on the left shoulder and one on the right hip" no matter what - then the "Option: if choosing..." point is totally moot - or it is merely there as a guide for picking the third pouch.  You could even state that the shoulder pouch should be a MP40 (38) canvas or leather ammo pouch and the belt pouches should be leather - I don't recall there ever being any other kind of pouch on the shoulder.  They don't always have the shoulder pouch, but when they do... .

As for the pouches (and backpack) I just think that whatever is "good enough" for SWAT should be good enough for Basic and PO.  I realize the level of detail is different, but the basic components should be built upon, not taken away IMO.  If that makes sense.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to find an easy way through this (if anything, I'm possibly making it harder on myself ;) ).  I'm just saying that there are people that are not going to build a pack for a pack-less trooper just to pass PO.  Therefore there are fewer TDs out there that have pushed their build as far as they could have. 

Sorry for beating the dead horse.

• Like 1