Armor Impressions (and questions!)

Plainsrunner

So I got my armor in!   I have to take the appropriate approval pictures sometime this weekend.    (pic below)

Impressions and Questions:

1.  The bucket has a strange fit that I can't put my finger on.   It floats on the head a bit, meaning I don't feel like I have a lot of control over it when I turn my head.   However, because of the cowl and pauldron it sits a little high so my eyes aren't in alignment with the eye openings.    I think the latter I can fix if I pull the star foam that RS included out and replace it with a different padding method.

2.  I'm scared of the plastic.   What do I mean by that?   I mean I just got this amazingly awesome thing in and I'm uncertain how durable it is.   I know people do hikes in this stuff so it shouldn't be too brittle/fragile/crack-able right?    I'm walking around like someone does when they come in from the pool and they are trying not to let their wet bathing suit, which has been turned to ice by the air conditioning, touch their skin.   In other words I'm being careful moving my arms and legs much because of perceived fragility.    Is this justified or is this stuff tougher than I think?

3.  The entire commission is freaking amazing by RS.   I mean I'm sitting here marveling at the blaster and blaster rifle.    

4.  How do you guys get your bucket on your head without completely messing up your wireless (or wired) microphone alignment on your head?     

Quick picture from last night:

vl0Nipp.jpg

Trying to get the little issues ironed out.   *how to get bucket on head without completely dislodging the mic from the exact spot it needs to be.   *how to have both fans going without it making the mic think someone is talking constantly (*TKTalkie).   *getting my wireless headphone and mic to work.   I can plug in the wired mic and it works but the wireless is having trouble.   I'm fully charging both mic and receiver now to see if that makes a difference.   

1. For the helmet stability I assume you're using the chin strap that's attached? I find that helps mine.

I use their supplied foam star, but did set it to the most useful position inside the helmet with velcro - trial and error. You get used to the level of visibility. There's a certain level you can get to, but after that, you're blind :). Alternative padding may help you. it's worth a try.

2. I wouldn't recommend wrestling in the kit or playing NFL. But it's durable enough for walking around and bumping into things lightly (by accident). You'll get used to it and build up your confidence with what you can do with it. It's not bullet proof, so take care of it. And you get used to walking like you just got out the pool :D

3. yup

4. carefully. depends on your fans, mic and wiring set up tbh. For mine (which is wireless), I put my head in sideways and then twist around to the front.

Depends on your climate, but I don't use both fans at the same time. Again, mostly trial and error.

12 hours ago, DarthStevius said:

1. For the helmet stability I assume you're using the chin strap that's attached? I find that helps mine.

I use their supplied foam star, but did set it to the most useful position inside the helmet with velcro - trial and error. You get used to the level of visibility. There's a certain level you can get to, but after that, you're blind :). Alternative padding may help you. it's worth a try.

2. I wouldn't recommend wrestling in the kit or playing NFL. But it's durable enough for walking around and bumping into things lightly (by accident). You'll get used to it and build up your confidence with what you can do with it. It's not bullet proof, so take care of it. And you get used to walking like you just got out the pool :D

3. yup

4. carefully. depends on your fans, mic and wiring set up tbh. For mine (which is wireless), I put my head in sideways and then twist around to the front.

Depends on your climate, but I don't use both fans at the same time. Again, mostly trial and error.

1.  Yeah I figured out the chin strap makes a world of difference.    I did remove the foam (and will be keeping it since it's movie correct) and replaced it with slightly thinner padding that allows my eyes sit more in line with the eyes.   Better.

2.  I've put it on a few times now and am more comfortable with moving around with it now.    The improved visibility helps this confidence a bunch!

4.  I think you are right.   Trial and error is going to be the method.    When positioned right the whole radio chatter/intercom thing really sells this armor

Edit:   False alarm.  I think the suit fits when I properly adjust the belt.  :P     Noob mistake.

I use a hardhat liner inside my helmet, it allows a bit of space between the top of my head and the top of my bucket so air can circulate better, also no need for a chin strap. The armor is fine but I wouldn't go fighting people in it or rolling around the ground. I am jealous of people who can sit in their armor whereas I can barely do stairs with a handrail. 

Next time I am getting ready for a troop, I'll take photos of my full electronics setup. I put a bit of velcro on my wireless mid and it stays put inside my helmet. Fans are attached with velcro and on a mount. Battery is secured with velcro. You just gotta walk around with your full kit and learn what works for you. Trim away pinch points and get it all dialed in. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

I use a hardhat liner inside my helmet, it allows a bit of space between the top of my head and the top of my bucket so air can circulate better, also no need for a chin strap. The armor is fine but I wouldn't go fighting people in it or rolling around the ground. I am jealous of people who can sit in their armor whereas I can barely do stairs with a handrail. 

Next time I am getting ready for a troop, I'll take photos of my full electronics setup. I put a bit of velcro on my wireless mid and it stays put inside my helmet. Fans are attached with velcro and on a mount. Battery is secured with velcro. You just gotta walk around with your full kit and learn what works for you. Trim away pinch points and get it all dialed in. 

I'm already getting more comfortable in it.   I can tell you one thing though:   when the fans aren't on it quickly gets challenging.    The fans make all the difference!

I have submitted my photos to my garrison liaison officer and he's reviewing them now.    I should either get adjustment feedback in a couple days or be accepted in.

34 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

VERY EXCITING! I would suggest kitting up and walking around your house or the backyard and get a good feel. You definitely want to try to find pinch points BEFORE you have your first troop. 

Great point!    Maybe I'll go over to the neighbor's house and demand to see their identification.

12 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Inspect their refrigerator and confiscate "unauthorized" beers. Tell them you will dispose of them properly. 

Honestly I can't wait to set up a checkpoint in my neighborhood on Halloween.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...