RWA vacuformed Shires syphon

Hausi

Hey fellow dirty dudes,

I have added an RWA vacuformed Shires syphon to my pack and I love it. Thought I would share some experience here, might help people still searching for an accurate and affordable syphon.

What you get is the two halves, some coverstrips to glue them together and the top of the syphon. After trimming I wanted to start glueing and found out that the Syphon is actually made from HIPS, superglue sadly doesn´t work very well with it so I used plastic weld. To get rid of any gaps or seams I made some HIPS sludge. Being used to working with ABS sludge, this was a strange experience as the HIPS reacts differently to the acetone and takes a lot longer to melt... and a lot of stirring. 

But finally it worked and after the sludge had dried and some sanding, I spraypainted the syphon matte black

40518448992_1d13294f9b_b.jpg

39665909295_6f2f955199_b.jpg

40518445482_c22abee295_b.jpg

mounted on my pack, and after receiving some well deserved dirt, it now looks like this:

39665925865_ca2232d1ae_b.jpg

40518440042_d76dc41e7c_b.jpg

I have to say that it´s light, very robust and I´m absolutely happy with it.:duim:

Also used the opportunity to mess around with the wire on my radio which looked way too tidy.

Now it looks like this:

40561259041_a28d0be1d0_b.jpg

cheers mates

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks awesome man!! Thanks for the pointers on this! I have my two halves sitting in the garage right now, so this is great to know going into making HIPS sludge! Quick question too, how did you attach your bottom bottle/mushroom cap to the syphon? 

Thanks again for the post!

I also got the one from rwa.
I used a long screw.
Here you can see the silver top of it.
444f9534062f153aa0114b03620f5e4d.heic
And this inside the bottle.
0d9f77af4f6becb68456d68274e82931.heic
A hole in the cap an then screwed it together.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1