This is going to be fun: Electrobinoculars

Hey man, you'll have to upload your photo to somewhere other than photo bucket. Photobucket no longer allows linking to photos. Imgur and Flickr are great alternatives. 

As far as lenses go, did the kit come with a glass lens?

If not I would measure the opening with some digital calipers to get exactly the size you need. You can try to find someone who can cut acetate or plexiglass for you to that exact size. I have use ponoko in the past but they require you to purchase a full sheet.

Took a peek in chrome to see what you were talking about. I think drilling a hole and then using a dremel sanding drum to enlarge the hole would work well. Be sure to leave a small lip for the lens to glue on to. 

Nice kit by the way, who makes it?

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 3:42 PM, henselmonster said:

Took a peek in chrome to see what you were talking about. I think drilling a hole and then using a dremel sanding drum to enlarge the hole would work well. Be sure to leave a small lip for the lens to glue on to. 

Nice kit by the way, who makes it?

The more I eyeball this, the more I'm concerned with messing the kit up if I try to drill to insert lenses.    I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just use some reflective film to simulate the glossiness of lenses.   Thoughts?

The problem is finding lenses that will fit right without throwing off the authentic look, and getting those lenses fitted into the sockets effectively.     Obviously the binoculars aren't going to actually work, so if I can simulate lenses with reflective film it might give me the look I'm going for?

The slowest part of doing this project is waiting for the right conditions to paint.    We've had so much rain that I had to wait for a dry low humidity day to do the base coat and let it dry for 2 days.   Then I had to wait for another dry day and put the next coat on and repeat the process.     

I think I'll get the outer white coat on today and let it dry another two days and then I'll be ready for sanding finally.   

• 2 weeks later...

So I've decided that you shouldn't over-sand these things.   I mean mostly the high points of the binoculars would have had the paint battered and rubbed off of them.   The rest should be sand and grit that gets all over it and down in the crevices.    So here is my sanding stage:

XuelTFY.jpg

ETweIW7.jpg

V59IA28.jpg

rFLDrpo.jpg

The rest will be dirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to add the finishing touches (knob and strap) but here is the weathered version of my binoculars.   I tried to make it obvious they were worn and dirty, but not overdo it so that it's unrealistic:

X2IbwxY.jpg

OWbMVcm.jpg

• Upvote 1