Noobie here looking for some guidance.

MAXXTRAX77

Hello everyone. First off loving the forums. Lots of great information here. And everyone has been super helpful. I’ve owned an anovos armor kit since they first started shipping. But was quickly overwhelmed. Bought a kit along with my brother. Sat on the shelf for a few years and after attending a local build party recently and realizing I hadn’t messed up my armor yet I’ve been working away towards completion. My goal from the start was sandtrooper armor. And after realizing there was a higher level than simply 501st with the MEPD I’ve set my target even higher. I’m hoping that my anovos kit is a suitable starting point. No worries if I need another helmet kit or something. But I do have some general questions. Should I just aim for SWAT level from the start, or aim for 501st, then PO and finally SWAT? Can one simply assemble the armor, get approval for that stage of it before weathering? Don’t want to have to go back if something from the start was wrong. Secondly I’m targeting the Cantina captain. But there isn’t nearly as many close ups and information on his weathering from what I’ve seen.  Compared to the road block captain. Where does one start about that? I’ve recebtly posted purchased pouches from Blaster8266 and a DLT-21 from HFX. Didn’t consider the fact that the rifle may not be up to SWAT level.... as far as backpack I’m working on purchasing one from Crookknight. Chest is nearing completion. It does not have the shoulder straps as per what I’ve seen on the 501st. I need to either sell my anovos belt/holster combo or cut them off. Your thoughts there? Diamond  knee is in the works too. Just need to fit my shins then glue. Any info I’m missing is appreciated. Thank you for your time! 

Matt 

Luckily the cantina captain has a ton of reference. Take a peek though some SWAT applications. The armor is shared between a few characters, the Alley way captain (the one who speaks to Garindan/ load your weapons / Stop that ship) is wearing the same armor. Our most recent SWAT activation did the Cantina Captain as well. 

One note is that the DLT-19 requirements may change for SWAT soon. Take a look at the Tunisia/Bapty DTL-19 builds in the weapons forums. That will soon be a SWAT requirement. 

Hmm I guess I was wonder the assumption that it was different armor. That makes life a bit easier lol. Actually looking forward to the weathering. Rather handy with an airbrush and painting so it should be fun. The gun is a bit of a downer. But I can imagine I could sell it down the road if need be. Is the anovos helmet a good starting point for the modifications required for the weathering? 

1 minute ago, MAXXTRAX77 said:

Hmm I guess I was wonder the assumption that it was different armor. That makes life a bit easier lol. Actually looking forward to the weathering. Rather handy with an airbrush and painting so it should be fun. The gun is a bit of a downer. But I can imagine I could sell it down the road if need be. Is the anovos helmet a good starting point for the modifications required for the weathering? 

The anovos helmet is decent.  If you had the first run version you will need to mod it a bit. You will need new mesh for the mic tips, the anovos mesh isn't accurate. You will also need to fill in the teeth with some abs paste to make it so only 3 teeth on each side are cut out, not 4 (thats specifically for cantina captain, But I would save that for SWAT application only, it may confuse the GML when approving you at first).

You will need to repaint the frown and remove the decals and repaint those too. Same with the tube stripes. It will take some work, but it is doable. If you can maybe look into a helmet kit from another builder, it is easier to make those changes from a new kit and not pre-assembled. But you can make mods to what you have, just will take a little extra work. I started with anovos, then moved onto a ATA helmet kit, now I am working on an RS build. 

Now that's an ambitious plan, I like it! Going for the highest level that is achievable here from the start is the way to go if you don't want to have to do a lot of rework when emulating a trooper. Good luck :duim:

What you can do for the ab buttons is taking a coin that is roughly the same size and use that as a template on excess material you have to cut out 3 buttons. That's the cheapest version. Make sure that you get the slit detail under the buttons correct as well.

ab buttons.jpg

15 hours ago, MAXXTRAX77 said:

Actually looking forward to the weathering. Rather handy with an airbrush and painting so it should be fun. The gun is a bit of a downer. But I can imagine I could sell it down the road if need be. Is the anovos helmet a good starting point for the modifications required for the weathering? 

Weathering by using airbrush and acryllic paints isn't the best way to weather your armor. The best way is to use waterbased earth/ terra colours  like burnt umber, ocher from Woodland Scenics. If you mess up or aren't satisfied you can easily remove it and start over.

And if you need good hd references, you can find a lot of them in this gallery:

http://www.looksirdroids.com/hd_caps/index.htm

Fullers earth or grout is great for finishing your weathering. I wouldn't recommend it as your only weathering method though. Acrylic paints work best IMO. I start with a burnt umber, wipe away excess let that dry, then a layer of aluminum white or a light warm tan color. Gives it a good layered effect.