SOLO - Mimban Trooper CRL Development

henselmonster

47 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

Yep! We are in development of the CRL. Hopefully we will be able to complete it soon!

Is there a draft crl up anywhere yet? 

I have the required armour and accessories, just starting on the weathering, so I'd love to help if I can.

@Dragon_a, I'm sorry but I ain't  allowed to share the draft of the CRL, per order by the Legion Membership Officers.

But you can always shoot me a pm to help out with naming the details as I haven't heard from Jim yet.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently debating whether or not to take on a Mimban TK cosplay or a Mud Trooper cosplay. Over on the Spec Ops forum, we're working on a Mud Trooper CRL, and noticed a key similarity between Mud Troopers and Mimban TKs, and that is the Russian Plasch-palatka style cloak, slightly modified and dyed black. They look the same on both troopers, at least to me, hopefully this helped you guys out! 

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I’m John, and I’m a costumaholic. I’m here to learn and help with the R&D for the Mimban trooper. I currently have an approved kylo, first order flametrooper, and am working
on an ANH Vader. I built my flametrooper pack from scratch, and am now looking for the next challenge—actually being involved and helping with crl development, and of course, building one of these new dirty dirty guys to add to my roster.

After reading through this thread, it seems to be a common consensus that the “cape” is the soviet-style plash palatka. I just ordered one from amazon. Figured it would be a good idea to get one now, before they become hard to get, or prices jump up. I can worry about dying it and modifying it later, once a final color is decided on.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RRXI2Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QDovBbDW6E2RH

Also, based on the rest of the discussion, I assume, at this point, it’s still agreed that the armor is the same as the R1 jedha trooper, with the exception of the helmet, extremely added weathering, and a pack? I have only seen Solo twice, but if I recall, not all of the troopers carried a pack, so is it being considered as an optional accessory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted the wrong link for the poncho. I emailed the seller and asked about the grommets. They sent me a link, claiming to be the proper link to get the one with leather grommets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012TBCMBM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fTpvBbT6QSKSQ

• 4 weeks later...

@dutchy, I'm surprised no one's posted yet. Terminology: The "blast shield" on the helmet is "enhanced targeting systems" per the Visual Guide, for better cutting through all the rain and fog on Mimban (and, presumably, similar environments). Here are some pics from ANOVOS' booth and presentation at SDCC a few weeks ago:

44164218271_d22377e5ba_c.jpg

30297445398_cd1c94a397_c.jpg

43258951535_815190d1c7_c.jpg

Given their access to the originals, I expect their details are reasonably accurate (though I think the center opening on the side mounts are too small on this compared to what I see in the film). Also, they'll be offering both clean and weathered versions...

30297445178_341558d8b7_c.jpg

...So make of that what you will about weathering/mud being a requirement for anything but the Mimban-deployed 'Troopers specifically...

1 hour ago, Peregrinus said:

.So make of that what you will about weathering/mud being a requirement for anything but the Mimban-deployed 'Troopers specifically...

No "clean" Mimban Stormtroopers were seen on screen (or any other "canon" media). So in my opinion that shouldn't be an option.

By way of precedent Anovos also make a clean tank trooper helmet, however the crl specifies "heavily weathered" as a requirement. 

Is the undersuit going to be ribbed? Or will that be a level 2 and 3 option just like the rogue 1
Troopers?

Is the pack going to be required? I think I have seen just as many, if not more, of these guys in the movie without packs vs with packs.

Has a decision been made as to whether the palatka is actually black, or is it green with super heavy weathering (I’m assuming it’s black, but need to know before dying my palatka).

Also, can we get a posting of what is the most recent proposal for the CRL? I am ready to start producing armor, and making my own costume, but am at a stand still until I have more solid information regarding the CRL.

42 minutes ago, Darth Pleatsalot said:

Is the undersuit going to be ribbed? Or will that be a level 2 and 3 option just like the rogue 1
Troopers?

Is the pack going to be required? I think I have seen just as many, if not more, of these guys in the movie without packs vs with packs.

Has a decision been made as to whether the palatka is actually black, or is it green with super heavy weathering (I’m assuming it’s black, but need to know before dying my palatka).

Also, can we get a posting of what is the most recent proposal for the CRL? I am ready to start producing armor, and making my own costume, but am at a stand still until I have more solid information regarding the CRL.

We should we wrapping up the CRL soon. We have photos ready just finalizing the draft ASAP! More news soon! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Darth Pleatsalot said:

The pack should be an optional, definitely not required.   As you say, there are far more seen without one than with one.

11 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

The pack should be an optional, definitely not required.   As you say, there are far more seen without one than with one.

We are thinking of treating the packs the same way we handle the ANH Sandtroopers. Considering many Sandtroopers don't wear packs too.

For Sandtroopers packs are not required for basic approval, for level 2 they are required, and for level 3 they are only required if the on screen trooper you are emulating wears a pack. It will probably be more or less like this for the Mimban, but maybe a little different since there are so many variations of this trooper. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So if I'm understanding you correctly you wouldn't need a pack for basic but for level 2 you would, then for level 3 you can take the pack off again?

I have to say I hope this isn't the case for the Mimban Stormtrooper as those with packs are only seen very briefly.  The only 2 clearly seen onscreen Mimban Stormtroopers (the ones who throw Han to "the beast"), the promotional materials and even action figures all have no pack.
Unlike the sandie I'd argue the pack is not an iconic part of the armour and having it as an optional item is more in keeping with the movie.
Just my opinion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

So if I'm understanding you correctly you wouldn't need a pack for basic but for level 2 you would, then for level 3 you can take the pack off again?

I have to say I hope this isn't the case for the Mimban Stormtrooper as those with packs are only seen very briefly.  The only 2 clearly seen onscreen Mimban Stormtroopers (the ones who throw Han to "the beast"), the promotional materials and even action figures all have no pack.
Unlike the sandie I'd argue the pack is not an iconic part of the armour and having it as an optional item is more in keeping with the movie.
Just my opinion.

Thats a fair point. We will consider it. Typically we encourage the building of packs and accessories to further your skill sets, but we are also bound by screen accuracy and representation. 

We treat our level 2 (police officer) as a way to show that you have completed all aspects of a deployed trooper, armor, blaster, and pack. 

Our level 3 (SWAT) is for complete screen accuracy, its standards are held higher and higher as we find more accurate information. Weathering patterns, imperfections, unique props and additions, etc.  It is probably the hardest level 3 in the entire legion. 

For basic approval most accessories will be optional, and basic is all you need to get out there and troop! 

• Like 1

Seems that after reading up here some points need to be revised in the draft of the CRL.

The palatka looks black, but I'm also tending to a heavily weathered green one, I'll stick to black and they need the correct grommets of course.

Regarding the levels, I think that for level 2 we will need to decide which troopertype will be the base though backpacks are a bit of a thing here on the MEPD ;) 

And to maintain our name as nitpickers we need to stay  and keep it screen accurate as much as possible.

Plus we can always add more or leave out requirements for the higher levels  at a later stage.

Stay tuned troops!

I'm running as fast as I can to get this CRL live!!

• Like 3

As a non english native speaker, I have a reasonable extended knowledge of the english language. But what in earth is the name of the "bolts" that are mounted on the helmet to connect the blast shield on...:confused: I need the right word/ description for the CRL.

2 hours ago, dutchy said:

As a non english native speaker, I have a reasonable extended knowledge of the english language. But what in earth is the name of the "bolts" that are mounted on the helmet to connect the blast shield on...:confused: I need the right word/ description for the CRL.

I’ve never actually seen it referred to with a specific name.  I suspect it was made as part of the shield by the prop dept rather than a “found part”.  Maybe just “oval shaped bolts”?

also, on the available blast shields I’ve seen the bolts are molded onto it rather than being the thing that actually attaches the shield to the helmet.

perhaps wording like (the shield) “has the appearance of being attached to the helmet using oval shaped bolts as per attached pic”?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dragon_a said:

(the shield) “has the appearance of being attached to the helmet using oval shaped bolts as per attached pic”?

That's a good description which people can work with!!

@Dragon_a big thanks brother!!

• Like 1

That's a good description which people can work with!!
[mention=7889]Dragon_a[/mention] big thanks brother!!

I’ll have the mains it again, but I’ve seen something that was similar to a visual dictionary that referred to the blast shield as a “sensor dome”.

I also agree, with a lack of any official terminology for the “bolts”, then something along the line of mounting bolts, or mounting hardware would seem like an appropriate name for those greeblies.