Staying in character

Plainsrunner

My wife does a lot of acting around the area as a hobby.  She's big on 'staying in character'.    Do you guys try to stay in character while you are trooping?    I don't mean always regurgitating lines from the movie, etc -- I'm talking about attempting to answer questions or have conversation in a way that keeps you in character.    For instance -- you go to a convention or something and are looking at a vendor table -- and you say "Do you have a permit to operate in this sector?"  or answering a question about where you are from as "I'm deployed in this sector, but I'm from about 44 clicks to the west in ______(town)______."   Etc.

What say you?  :)

I do and I plan to!

Let me explain.

"I do" comes from a superhero charity group I belong to. We all strive to know our characters well and to stay in character as long as possible and always in character for the kids. 

"I plan to" means I will once I'm in. I haven't officially joined the 501st yet, as I'm working on my first sandy. But I want the experience to be authentic for the fans.

So...making a short answer long: yes!

• Like 1

I try to stay in character as much as possible especially when I'm interacting with children. When adressing adults the occasional joke pops out as well..

Plus you have to judge each situation/ troop by itself and what kind of approach is needed. But staying in character is always good.

You'll grow into it once you have trooped several times at different venues.

The majority of our troops we are told to stay in character. When someone asks, "where'd you buy your armor or blaster" you tell them you got them issued from the imperial supply depo. Now if an adult is expressing interest in the hobby as a whole and is wanting to join, you can step to the side and break character but when kids come up or crowds asking for pictures you go back to character. I have fun though and I never take being a plastic spaceman too seriously. 

It depends on the event. I like to stay in character, especially around kids. It can also be fun with adults. I have also just been silent and only interacting though gestures and movements. Which I like a lot. Not only do you come off as more intimidating (which people find funny usually) you can stay in character without having to setup a mic and speaker. 

1 hour ago, henselmonster said:

It depends on the event. I like to stay in character, especially around kids. It can also be fun with adults. I have also just been silent and only interacting though gestures and movements. Which I like a lot. Not only do you come off as more intimidating (which people find funny usually) you can stay in character without having to setup a mic and speaker. 

I am usually well reserved and don't talk much so when people ask if I can talk and they hear the static burst it always throws them off guard. 

4 hours ago, dutchy said:

I try to stay in character as much as possible especially when I'm interacting with children. When adressing adults the occasional joke pops out as well..

Plus you have to judge each situation/ troop by itself and what kind of approach is needed. But staying in character is always good.

You'll grow into it once you have trooped several times at different venues.

Exactly this.

You don't really mod the helmet to do so but check out the electronic section here. Get some 5v low profile fans off ebay or amazon and wire them to switches and into a usb cable. Get a decent Mah rated 5v usb power supply and you're good to go. You can always buy from a vendor too, no shame in that but it's not that difficult to make. I have 2 fans on left front & rear and same on the right. The rear fans point down and act as an exhaust. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

You don't really mod the helmet to do so but check out the electronic section here. Get some 5v low profile fans off ebay or amazon and wire them to switches and into a usb cable. Get a decent Mah rated 5v usb power supply and you're good to go. You can always buy from a vendor too, no shame in that but it's not that difficult to make. I have 2 fans on left front & rear and same on the right. The rear fans point down and act as an exhaust. 

Trying to figure out how to air condition the suit down here in Alabama.  ;)     I wish....

Depends on the event. And what troopers are there.

If there is my favorite Jawa, I'll usually drag around with her like keep an eye on her. She plays around like she is trying to steal everything or touch shiny things. I'll stand and give her a "put it back" motion, or "hands off" or the "scolding finger". 
If there are other TDs then it's serious. Or Ill play the foil to whoever is being the most serious. 
My character is usually fun. 

However - If there are kids and they are frightened or there is a child with special needs that is unsure or having a difficult time processing (I work with special needs kids, and I somehow have the ability to spot them) I go out of character and come down to their level and remove the helmet. Take time out of trooping. Show them the helmet. Let them put it on. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Terrantula said:

I typically try to stay in character as much as possible.  I do Darth Maul as well and that is a kit you definitely have to stay in character with ;) 

Very true. But very difficult to not smile when there's so much smiles from the public...! :woot:

All great answers. I stay in character and try to emphasize that in my Garrison as well.not necessarily speaking as such. But stance, demeaner, how I play the part. 

I see a lot of my troops dancing around and sometimes acting goofy. Depending on the event, sometimes have to tell them to tone it down. 

On 3/13/2018 at 11:53 PM, DarthStevius said:

Very true. But very difficult to not smile when there's so much smiles from the public...! :woot:

Very, very true.  Everyone seems to love Maul :duim:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TB93016

I have firmly believed in having "go-to" responses. I get the "Aren't you a little short" comment all the time while responding with answers like "do all rebel scum have the same joke?" which gets a great laugh out of people. I stay in character, always on patrol, and disguise my voice with a very monotone approach, never excitable, very much "move along." I like to make jokes with people, but always very much on point for Star Wars humor. 

My favorite - standing by a bathroom and when guys walk out, I go "it smells like Degobah in there."