Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Plainsrunner

RS Propmasters Sandtrooper

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!   I was pointed here from whitearmor.net and also by my local 501st garrison.    Last week I finally realized a long time dream and decided to get into trooping.    Rather than build my first set, I decided to purchase a full commission from RS Propmasters.   It's pricey, but I hope it will live up to the reputation and be worth the money.

I do have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1.  I know it is going to take them some time to build, but I'd like to rest my mind by preparing myself for the length of time.   Does anyone know how long on average an RS Propmaster's full commission takes?

2.  My wife ran into a local trooper at a convention and remarked about how his audio didn't completely work in overriding his natural voice.   In other words his natural voice came through enough to break the illusion for her.    Was this just his setup, or are all options like that?   I'm considering TKTalkie.   The video demos of it online seem to sound really good.

3.  I did read a reddit post that says even though RS Propmasters is very good, I will still need to do some tweaks to make it 501st approved.    Can anyone give me some insight on what those tweaks usually are?

Thanks so much!  I look forward to meeting a lot of great people and having fun!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Michael and welcome to the forum.

RS do rightly have a good reputation. I have one of their kits and several others on here do to. A year ago their turnaround was about 8wks and communication was great throughout that time. I'm not sure if they're still taking the same sort of time. Maybe some more recent purchasers will chip in.

for basic approval, the only real tweaks tend to be adding some additionaly 'weathering' and possibly changing the colour of the two bottles on their packs to a slightly greyer blue than they provide. Assuming the measurements have translated correctly into your kit and it fits as expected once you're wearing it, then there shouldn't be much more needed. If you end up levelling up later (PO or SWAT) then you will need further adjustments, but for basic approval there's not usually anything more needed. It's not really anything you can prepare for until we see you in pictures wearing it...

For sound, there could be a number of factors that the trooper in question was experiencing (mic placement, system settings, volume settings, etc.) so can't talk to their set up. But most of the good setups you'll see recommended on here should be adequate enough to be louder than the troopers own voice. I use TRamp, but others in my Garrison use TKtalkie with no issues. There are others.

good luck, and look forward to seeing you kitted up and trooping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant go wrong with RS. True screen lineage is hard to beat. I am not sure what mods you'll have to do other than make sure it fits you correctly. Just a heads up if you weren't aware yet. RS is very screen accurate...meaning it will have all the bumps, divots, imperfections, etc that the original armor had. Do not go into RS expecting a symmetrical sanitized suit. I have seen some people get very angry because they didn't realize what screen accuracy entails with TKs/TDs. Just wanted to put it out there if no one else told you. 

Are you getting the RS sandtrooper field pack? If so that may need some mods in order to pass level 2 and 3 at MEPD. Shouldn't be an issue for level 1 (considering packs aren't even required at level 1) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

Cant go wrong with RS. True screen lineage is hard to beat. I am not sure what mods you'll have to do other than make sure it fits you correctly. Just a heads up if you weren't aware yet. RS is very screen accurate...meaning it will have all the bumps, divots, imperfections, etc that the original armor had. Do not go into RS expecting a symmetrical sanitized suit. I have seen some people get very angry because they didn't realize what screen accuracy entails with TKs/TDs. Just wanted to put it out there if no one else told you. 

Are you getting the RS sandtrooper field pack? If so that may need some mods in order to pass level 2 and 3 at MEPD. Shouldn't be an issue for level 1 (considering packs aren't even required at level 1) 

Thank you.  Yes I closely examined the armor sets before purchasing.  I'm aware that they are very accurate to screen and thus they have the blemishes.   Call me crazy, but I tend to think the blemishes actually work visually in the Sandtrooper's favor in combination with the weathering.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DarthStevius said:

Hey Michael and welcome to the forum.

RS do rightly have a good reputation. I have one of their kits and several others on here do to. A year ago their turnaround was about 8wks and communication was great throughout that time. I'm not sure if they're still taking the same sort of time. Maybe some more recent purchasers will chip in.

for basic approval, the only real tweaks tend to be adding some additionaly 'weathering' and possibly changing the colour of the two bottles on their packs to a slightly greyer blue than they provide. Assuming the measurements have translated correctly into your kit and it fits as expected once you're wearing it, then there shouldn't be much more needed. If you end up levelling up later (PO or SWAT) then you will need further adjustments, but for basic approval there's not usually anything more needed. It's not really anything you can prepare for until we see you in pictures wearing it...

For sound, there could be a number of factors that the trooper in question was experiencing (mic placement, system settings, volume settings, etc.) so can't talk to their set up. But most of the good setups you'll see recommended on here should be adequate enough to be louder than the troopers own voice. I use TRamp, but others in my Garrison use TKtalkie with no issues. There are others.

good luck, and look forward to seeing you kitted up and trooping

Thanks for the warm welcome!    I will definitely do the tweaks you mentioned as I would really like as authentic of a look as I can get.    I don't mind some minor stuff like that -- I just didn't want to attempt a full-on build to get started.   I just want to get out there and start participating.   I'll probably order a TK set to build and create sooner or later.    

Do most of you also put cooling fans in your helmets?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RS is fantastic, if they fit my budget I would have bought from them. Love all the bumps and "imperfections". If you're able to, I'd skip getting their pack and build one yourself using one of our guides. You'll get a more accurate pack than what RS provides and won't have to worry when you decide to go PO or SWAT. 

I have been a huge supporter of TKTalkie since day 1 and it's what I use. if your mic and amp are set up correctly, they shouldn't hear you from your mouth unless they are right next to your face. 

Helmet fans are a must for me year round. It all depends on if you a natural warm body and where you live. If my fans cut out, my lenses instantly fog up. Check out our electronic forum here for help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RS is definitely the way to go, even though personally I am a big fan of TM as well.

A member of my garrison bought a complete TD set up from them and it looked great. The downside was that once he had received it and he opened one of the boxes some parts were already damaged. This is something that you have to bear in mind when ordering a complete TD. The weathering is generic but definitely well done, if you want to distinguish yourself from other troopers it might be good to consider weathering it yourself.

I can't judge about the TK talkie system as I have a romfx. But I must say that having the correct set up really makes a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dutchy said:

RS is definitely the way to go, even though personally I am a big fan of TM as well.

A member of my garrison bought a complete TD set up from them and it looked great. The downside was that once he had received it and he opened one of the boxes some parts were already damaged. This is something that you have to bear in mind when ordering a complete TD. The weathering is generic but definitely well done, if you want to distinguish yourself from other troopers it might be good to consider weathering it yourself.

I can't judge about the TK talkie system as I have a romfx. But I must say that having the correct set up really makes a difference.

Yes I have heard that the trip across the Atlantic sometimes damages some parts.    How quickly did RS remedy the problem?

Are you saying that the weathering has the same pattern on all of their suits, or that the it's just light weathering that isn't as heavy as some people like it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

RS is fantastic, if they fit my budget I would have bought from them. Love all the bumps and "imperfections". If you're able to, I'd skip getting their pack and build one yourself using one of our guides. You'll get a more accurate pack than what RS provides and won't have to worry when you decide to go PO or SWAT. 

I have been a huge supporter of TKTalkie since day 1 and it's what I use. if your mic and amp are set up correctly, they shouldn't hear you from your mouth unless they are right next to your face. 

Helmet fans are a must for me year round. It all depends on if you a natural warm body and where you live. If my fans cut out, my lenses instantly fog up. Check out our electronic forum here for help. 

Hmm.... the order has already been placed (with the pack).   I'm assuming I can modify the pack to fit standards for PO or Swat as I move forward.    

And OHHHH yeah... I'll definitely be getting fans then!   I tend to be hot anyway AND I live in Alabama.     I'd put an AC in there if I could figure out how to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎31‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 12:03 AM, Plainsrunner said:

Yes I have heard that the trip across the Atlantic sometimes damages some parts.    How quickly did RS remedy the problem?

Are you saying that the weathering has the same pattern on all of their suits, or that the it's just light weathering that isn't as heavy as some people like it?

This was only a small trip from the UK to the netherlands. But as I rembered it right they replaced the damaged parts.

The same pattern, I'm not sure about that but they are all done in the same fashion( which is done very good). If you want the weathering to be personal you can better give it a go yourself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2018 at 6:09 PM, Plainsrunner said:

Hmm.... the order has already been placed (with the pack).   I'm assuming I can modify the pack to fit standards for PO or Swat as I move forward.    

And OHHHH yeah... I'll definitely be getting fans then!   I tend to be hot anyway AND I live in Alabama.     I'd put an AC in there if I could figure out how to!

It definitely can be brought up to snuff for level 2 and 3 but 3 might be more difficult to reach with their packs limitations. You can always sell it down the road if you choose to. 

I live in upstate NY, halfway between NYC and Canada and I have 4 fans in my helmet! I use them year round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2018 at 6:55 AM, Airborne Trooper said:

It definitely can be brought up to snuff for level 2 and 3 but 3 might be more difficult to reach with their packs limitations. You can always sell it down the road if you choose to. 

I live in upstate NY, halfway between NYC and Canada and I have 4 fans in my helmet! I use them year round

I've got an idea --  I could bring the pack I'm receiving up to snuff for level 2 by working on it.   If I decide to go for level 3 I could build a different variation of the pack that matches a different specific Sandy myself.   By that time I should be familiar enough to attempt a build.    I don't think it will hurt to have 2 pack options.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 6:43 PM, Plainsrunner said:

I've got an idea --  I could bring the pack I'm receiving up to snuff for level 2 by working on it.   If I decide to go for level 3 I could build a different variation of the pack that matches a different specific Sandy myself.   By that time I should be familiar enough to attempt a build.    I don't think it will hurt to have 2 pack options.   

Definitely not! I learned a lot from upgrading my first built pack which led me to completing making my current one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  Have an RS kit. it is amazing , every wart and blemish . fantastic.  I would echo the  back pack. Good for basic and for now PO but swat it would be to much to get there . Honestly  you can do a lot better with a self built or one from a vendor like crook knight.  The rs pack is small in comparison to the original parts. I personally thought.. pft how off could it be..  ALOT several inches in every direction for most of the parts. Once I have original type parts in hand I understood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, HansVader said:

I  Have an RS kit. it is amazing , every wart and blemish . fantastic.  I would echo the  back pack. Good for basic and for now PO but swat it would be to much to get there . Honestly  you can do a lot better with a self built or one from a vendor like crook knight.  The rs pack is small in comparison to the original parts. I personally thought.. pft how off could it be..  ALOT several inches in every direction for most of the parts. Once I have original type parts in hand I understood. 

Thanks for the insight!   I think having the RS pack might assist me when I begin a swat build down the road.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will for sure and then you will really appreciate the difference between them. Here is a good shot of the RS radio and the woodman sonic cast.

radio.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HansVader said:

It will for sure and then you will really appreciate the difference between them. Here is a good shot of the RS radio and the woodman sonic cast.

radio.jpg

I'm trying to put together a list (for the future) on makers of some of these accessories and kits.    Where did you get the woodman ?   Are there any other makers for building packs I should be aware of?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Plainsrunner said:

I'm trying to put together a list (for the future) on makers of some of these accessories and kits.    Where did you get the woodman ?   Are there any other makers for building packs I should be aware of?

Woodman is a prop maker here, he is also on The dented helmet . I believe he has just reduced the price. There are a few out there that sell all the parts needed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant beat a Woodman radio. Only maker with a direct cast from the real radio. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, henselmonster said:

Cant beat a Woodman radio. Only maker with a direct cast from the real radio. 

Yep, i can only echo that! Best radio around, he also offers pre-build radios which look amazing.

 

But since you get a RS Sandtrooper/backpack you might ask them for one of his radios as an upgrade.

RS does the european market for the Wwodman radios as far as i know....so that shouldn't be a problem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RoCKo said:

Yep, i can only echo that! Best radio around, he also offers pre-build radios which look amazing.

 

But since you get a RS Sandtrooper/backpack you might ask them for one of his radios as an upgrade.

RS does the european market for the Wwodman radios as far as i know....so that shouldn't be a problem!

He and rob went in together on the sonic if I am not mistaken , they just are not using it on the packs yet  that I know of.  I got the whole kit that he makes with the box covering and switches and it's a beauty. When I get to finally building out my pack.. it's the crown jewel for sure.  He recently did a run for the decals too. 

 

4 hours ago, henselmonster said:

Cant beat a Woodman radio. Only maker with a direct cast from the real radio. 

Hey John , speaking of which .. I think I saw that you added a plexi plate on the dial of yours right? What was the source? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, i think i own the very first radio he sold in kit form. I have since finished my build but was holding pack for his decals.

Haven't heared if this run takes place after he posted his interest thread... i'm still very interested foremost in the dial and SONIX decal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoCKo said:

Yeah, i think i own the very first radio he sold in kit form. I have since finished my build but was holding pack for his decals.

Haven't heared if this run takes place after he posted his interest thread... i'm still very interested foremost in the dial and SONIX decal!

send him a pm either here and see if there are any extras. The run was back in november

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RoCKo said:

Yep, i can only echo that! Best radio around, he also offers pre-build radios which look amazing.

 

But since you get a RS Sandtrooper/backpack you might ask them for one of his radios as an upgrade.

RS does the european market for the Wwodman radios as far as i know....so that shouldn't be a problem!

Would the woodman radio fit on the backpack I've commissioned from them?   Since it's bigger would it look out of scale for the rest of the backpack they build for my commission?    I can certainly ask via email.  They've been pretty responsive and was willing to add on an additional pauldron for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No it will dwarf the rest of the parts. Basically what happened is the old packs (including what RS still provides) was based off an incorrect part so everything was scaled from that. With the discovery of the Karrimor frame and photos of a real Sonix radio, everything had to be enlarged compared to what was currently being used. There are plenty of vendors on our forums that can help get you to snuff. I can't quite afford woodman's radio but another option is Sandie Comms which is pretty accurate and is a good price point for those of us on a budget. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×