RS Propmasters Sandtrooper (Edited with Picture)

Plainsrunner

I agree about Sandie Comms. If you need a good budget radio, thats a great option. Also if you have access to a 3D printer there is an excellent model in our 3D parts for Field Pack topic (along with several other pieces). 

I would recommend taking your time and assembling the accurate parts over the course of a few months or so while you prep for SWAT. In the meantime use your RS pack to get approved and deployed. I have spent almost 2 years now getting as many accurate and authentic parts I can for my SWAT pack. I am finally at the point where I can start building it. 

Striders build is a great resource for what parts you need. I would also reference Gino's and Rolf's pack when going for SWAT. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

No it will dwarf the rest of the parts. Basically what happened is the old packs (including what RS still provides) was based off an incorrect part so everything was scaled from that. With the discovery of the Karrimor frame and photos of a real Sonix radio, everything had to be enlarged compared to what was currently being used. There are plenty of vendors on our forums that can help get you to snuff. I can't quite afford woodman's radio but another option is Sandie Comms which is pretty accurate and is a good price point for those of us on a budget. 

Thank you!   That is very helpful.   I think I'll start slowly assembling the parts to build one.   The smart thing to do (I think) is to build a different pack variant as listed in the approved packs.   I can use the RS Propmasters pack when I want that style, and I can use the one I build for advancement and sometimes when I want to change up packs.   

17 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

I agree about Sandie Comms. If you need a good budget radio, thats a great option. Also if you have access to a 3D printer there is an excellent model in our 3D parts for Field Pack topic (along with several other pieces). 

I would recommend taking your time and assembling the accurate parts over the course of a few months or so while you prep for SWAT. In the meantime use your RS pack to get approved and deployed. I have spent almost 2 years now getting as many accurate and authentic parts I can for my SWAT pack. I am finally at the point where I can start building it. 

Striders build is a great resource for what parts you need. I would also reference Gino's and Rolf's pack when going for SWAT. 

I think that's what I'll do for sure.   The RS pack will get me approved and busy Trooping.   I can work on the SWAT pack as a hobby going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plainsrunner said:

I think that's what I'll do for sure.   The RS pack will get me approved and busy Trooping.   I can work on the SWAT pack as a hobby going forward.

Perfect! We all know how expensive this hobby can be so take your time, get out trooping, and most important have fun doing it! 

• Like 1

Waiting *impatiently* on my armor.    Not many here have done a full commission, so I'm unsure of how the process works.   In other words, am I in a queue for most of the 6 to 8 weeks and then they build towards the end?    Is it being built now and it takes them time to do it as they get time from their other projects?    Will they post a status update to my 'Processing' order status when they actually start building?    Will I receive some photos of the build in progress?

I haven't emailed them since my measurements.   I don't want to wear them out.   lol

11 hours ago, Plainsrunner said:

Waiting *impatiently* on my armor.    Not many here have done a full commission, so I'm unsure of how the process works.   In other words, am I in a queue for most of the 6 to 8 weeks and then they build towards the end?    Is it being built now and it takes them time to do it as they get time from their other projects?    Will they post a status update to my 'Processing' order status when they actually start building?    Will I receive some photos of the build in progress?

I haven't emailed them since my measurements.   I don't want to wear them out.   lol

In the mean time I would buy some fullers earth to add weathering to the kit. RS typically only does a single color in acrylic .  Fullers earth or grout works great. Trooperbay sells cheap packs in 3 colors 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HansVader said:

In the mean time I would buy some fullers earth to add weathering to the kit. RS typically only does a single color in acrylic .  Fullers earth or grout works great. Trooperbay sells cheap packs in 3 colors 

Thanks!   I'll do it.    If I'm reading correctly, if I ever want to go SWAT don't I have to approximate the weathering pattern on a specific screen Sandtrooper character?

2 hours ago, HansVader said:

Is the Fullers something you apply once (so get it right), or is it something you apply periodically before troops?

I personally see adding fullers or real sand, yeah some actually use real sand, as an addition but not mandatory to get an awesome weathering result. But as I always say, weathering is personal and you have to make it look just the way you want it and feel comfortable with.

Spilling my 2cts about the pack, I myself am also rebuilding one of my packs with as much as possible genuine parts and that takes time( and money sadly)

As mentioned earlier already, go for basic approval with the RS pack and build an accurate one along the way..

That's the fun part when making a sandtrooper armor, you're never done :P

Edited by dutchy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Swat does require specific emulation of the chosen trooper. I personally like the fullers earth in a couple methods  , paint on wet and clean most off then follow up with the final applying dry to wet hairspray and finishing off with a good coat of hairspray. Then whenever, if ever you want to change your weathering wash it and it will come off. Dutchy hit the nail on  the head do what you like most. What you want it t look like.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 15 February 2018 at 12:22 AM, Plainsrunner said:

I ended up not getting any progress pics with mine, so heaven only know WHEN it started being built.

that said, the six to eight wks was accurate and once they notified me it was on its way it arrived (in Australia) within 48 hours.

my understanding is they will cycle through each of their  builds. So a batch of Sandies, a batch of pilots, a batch of tree huggers etc. depending on where they are in that cycle when your order gets confirmed will determine when they start building it.

they're a good company so I'm confident your patience will be rewarded :salute:

tip: keep an eye on their facebook page. That gives you an idea of what costume they're working on.

4 hours ago, DarthStevius said:

I ended up not getting any progress pics with mine, so heaven only know WHEN it started being built.

that said, the six to eight wks was accurate and once they notified me it was on its way it arrived (in Australia) within 48 hours.

my understanding is they will cycle through each of their  builds. So a batch of Sandies, a batch of pilots, a batch of tree huggers etc. depending on where they are in that cycle when your order gets confirmed will determine when they start building it.

they're a good company so I'm confident your patience will be rewarded :salute:

tip: keep an eye on their facebook page. That gives you an idea of what costume they're working on.

That totally makes sense because this past week has been 'snowtrooper week'.   So now I understand what they meant by that.     Thanks for the insight!

Does the big brown box require a signature for delivery?

• 2 weeks later...

RS Propmasters commission vigil week 5.   I have thus far resisted temptation to further contact them.   The information on their site is sparse on what type of armor they are currently working on.    The suspense is killing me but I'm remaining patient.    I've been busying myself gathering backpack components, accessories, etc.  

I'm an instant gratification type of guy so this might be the most patient I've been in my entire life.  :)

Just trying to figure out when to arrange to be home to receive delivery.   The original notification a day and a half ago said the delivery was Friday.     Since then the status has remained on Awaiting UPS....    so I guess they didn't ship when anticipated.   Someone printed the labels a b it early or something. 

4 hours ago, henselmonster said:

That happened with my RS bucket. Maybe you could have it sent to a local UPS store and you can pick it up yourself. Thats usually what I do incase I'm not home

Did it turn out being a prematurely printed out UPS notification, or did it just not make it into UPS' system for tracking?