weathering feedback

MrSnrub

first time weathering trying out acrylic paint and wiping off with an old rag, however i keep ending up with a spotty, painted look i have a few spare armor pieces to keep practising on but would also like some advice and feed back, trying out some different colour combinations with burnt umber and black.

kAei5e3.jpg

It takes a little practice but you'll get there.

You probably need to reduce the amount of this dark colour a little, try and keep it mostly to the nooks and crevases. Then apply a light colour over the top also which will soften it further.

its also a little each to their own on what look you want to for, unless you're going for SWAT level down the track?

have you managed to look at some of the build threads on here, as there's heaps of examples to help too.

You've started with the hardest part of becoming a TD, weathering.

Weathering is always personal and hard to judge from pictures as we have to take artificial light/ inside/ outside into consideration.

What I personally do like to suggest is that you stay away from the acryllic based paints and go for waterbased paints.

The technique as described by DarthStevius is the best method, but can sadly only be learded by the famous trial and error principle.

Do post your progress so we can help you out in every way possible.

Good luck!!

In addition to what Dutchy and DarthStevius have already pointed out, is giving your armour some dirty spots with darker colours but not too many, mainly focusing on the nooks and crevases and finally applying some washes of watered down black and earth colours and dabbing almost everything of again almost immediately using a paper towel, repeat this until you are happy with the result. This way you can avoid your armour still having these shiny white spots.

Much better. See how you have portions with that dull wash? That's what you want to achieve and then the heavier weathering will mostly in recessed areas and a few others. You'll have some cleaner spots on high points. Think of how armor would react in real scenarios, high spots are more likely to rub on things. Dirt will settle in low or recessed areas and less likely to be disturbed. 

Definitely much better.  The only thing I would say is try to make it look like natural dirt, like if you went out with a pair of boots to a sandbox and walked around, what color would it be.  Weathering is definitely subjective to each member, but you don't want it to be too dark.

You're definitely moving into the right direction here! :duim:

I don't know if you ever heard about the less is more principle but that surely is something to consider when you are applying your weathering.

I like the helmet and upper body but the legs don't look naturally dirty, the spots look artificial and do not fit the rest of your weathering, try to use the same colours and the same techniques for the whole armor.

• 1 month later...

been a while and i was not happy with my weathering, it was much too heavy i wiped off and had another go, im a lot happier with it and i dont turn orange/brown in the sun now!

https://imgur.com/a/xXVvM

also i have since redone my chest weathering as i did not realise what it looked like! LOL 

and i got approved!, so going for PO this weekend :)

I like it.

Don't forget to put some dirt on that shoulder pouch too ;)

And you might want to find a way to secure that left shin to make sure it doesn't slip up, velcro, snaps, whatever you prefer.