Chopper's TD Build Thread

Chopper48104

Well, this is it! After spending the last year getting my Scout Trooper up to Lancer specs, it's finally time to start working on some of the other projects that have been clogging up my basement.

Here's what I've got --

Armor: Started with WTF, ended up using Troopermaster in the end

Gloves: Black nomex flight gloves

DLT-19: Hyperfirm

Backpack: Deep discount hand me down. Needs some cleanup and refurbishing, but usable

Here's what I still need to get -- I've done some recon work (and a lot of the materials seem to be available through trooperbay), but I could use some feedback as to whether or not I'm headed the right direction, or if there are better options? I did check the MEPD Officer Training thread, but a lot of the links don't work anymore.

Neck seal: Trooperbay?

Pouches: Trooperbay?

Boots: Imperial boots

Paudron: Trooperbay or Trooper1?

Undersuit: Trooperbay or Renaissance Dancewear? (recommended from Looksirdroids?)

Belt: Trooperbay?

Hey man, welcome!

I don’t know how the trooperbay stuff is but my pauldron is from Trooper 1 and its really nice. Pouches are from blaster8266 which are also really nice. For the neckseal I went with Darman and for the belt Rob Kittel. As for boots I went with TK Boots(heard they weren’t selling them right now but it looks like they are according to their site). As for the undersuit I just bought that from amazon, it was about $30 for shirt and pants. Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate, as far as the boots are concerned, I would go for a pair of black leather riding boots, e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/CBL-PRODUCTS-Leather-Jodphur-Boots/dp/B007C25RXY/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1514301740&sr=8-35&keywords=jodphur+boots

or something similar. Rub them off with acetone and spraypaint them with some white leather spraypaint, it´s much more accurate as far as wear and weathering is concerned, as this is the way it was obviously done in the movies. 

11 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Trooperbay is fine and dandy for approval but if you want something a little more accurate, stick with Trooper1 for the pauldron and nobody can touch blaster8266's pouches unless you manage to get a real vintage. 

Hey, I appreciate the advice, since this was exactly the sort of guidance I was looking for. I ended up putting in an order with Trooper1 and blaster8266, so those are a few more items to check off of my build list.

8 hours ago, Hausi said:

Hey mate, as far as the boots are concerned, I would go for a pair of black leather riding boots, e.g.

https://www.amazon.com/CBL-PRODUCTS-Leather-Jodphur-Boots/dp/B007C25RXY/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1514301740&sr=8-35&keywords=jodphur+boots

or something similar. Rub them off with acetone and spraypaint them with some white leather spraypaint, it´s much more accurate as far as wear and weathering is concerned, as this is the way it was obviously done in the movies. 

Thanks man, I may try this is the future, once I get more of my full build assembled.

In other news, I've started trimming my arm and bicep armor and cutting cover strips for both. Seemed like the easiest place to start.

• 1 month later...

So, I haven't made huge amounts of progress, mostly due to the cold weather. But a few things have been coming along --

With the exception of the tube stripes, the helmet is painted.

6TK9mkJl.jpg

My arm parts are mostly trimmed and glued on the top half of the arm. I had some questions though, before I did anything else --

3bnZUcil.jpg

aXz0WCFl.jpg

Right now, the bottom portion is affixed with gaffers tape. Do I need to make the gap between my arm and the armor smaller? I don't have super huge arms, so I just wanted to check before I cut and glued anything else.

Thanks!

Thanks Hausi!

More questions --

So, I put together my bicep armor. The right bicep (on the left side of the photo) fits together pretty cleanly. The left bicep piece seems mutated like a bad potato.

dV3LXWSl.jpg

I can get the left one to fit together sorta ok, but the odd angles don't make a flat surface for the cover strip. Do other folks just sand it down and throw a cover strip over it?

TRIE2Bhl.jpg

• 4 months later...

Sooo yeah. It's been a while putting this thing together. I've been dormant, but not entirely asleep.

Here's where I'm at -- feedback and guidance is appreciated

HAniRvq.jpg

gr6WO92.jpg

TfcJsmD.jpg

L7Z2Bbs.jpg

Obviously the tops of the thighs need to be trimmed and I've just got them taped on, so they're wonkily rotated a bit in the back. I also haven't attached the crotch strap yet, so some parts are just flopping around.

I assume I should start by just taking the top edge down an inch and see how that fits? Is there a standard for how much gap there can be between the ab armor and the thigh?

Now, I'm not a big person, so the chest plate seems huge on me. I can try re-shaping it a bit with hot water/heat if you think that's a good idea.

The biggest issue for me is the kidney armor/ab armor overlap. It's about 3/4" and covers the part the extends on the kidney, above the L-shaped cut-out. Where am I allowed to trim on the sides of the ab armor/kidney armor?

Here's a detail shot:

tSiL1WI.jpg

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Here's the solution to your kidney / ab plate issue:

Get your skinny bike riding butt to McDonalds and eat a bunch of Big Macs with extra special sauce! Don't forget to order super size fries too! :woot:

Or, Find the midpoint of your sides, then mark the kidney plate with a pencil, or tape, and trim it halfway to the mark. Test the fit and make sure you haven't trimmed too much off. Trim until the kidney just meets the ab plate. Just like hair, it's easy to cut off plastic, but much harder to glue it back on.

You'll want to do the same thing with the thighs. They are a much goofier shape, so you'll need to follow the original contour. You'll lose the return that pokes into your legs, unless you get a fancy sealing iron and bend it back in. Most folks don't worry about this, but since you're a Lancer Biker Scout, you may aspire to be SWAT here.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXHZ17&P=0

The tops of the thighs are crazy. Definitely look at other SWAT applications to see how the halves do not line up. The outside left thigh is lower by 3/4" than the inside. The inside right thigh is also lower than the outside. It's madness I tell you!

Check out Hausi's SWAT application. Lots of great photos and comparisons to screen captures, and he's got a similar physique as you:

It looks like he trimmed the ab plate so the split is a little more toward his front than the exact middle of his sides.

Also, there's something about a notch on the kidney plate visible just below the belt - other folks will need to chime in about that tiny detail...

Good luck, and don't forget about those cheeseburgers!

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.6.2018 at 6:19 AM, crashmann said:

It looks like he trimmed the ab plate so the split is a little more toward his front than the exact middle of his sides.

Yep, that's what I did, just trimmed the ab plate a little and the kidney section slightly more. 

But be aware, don't eat too many of those delicious burgers AFTER trimming. ;)

Alright some updated photos. Sorry about the selfie style shots. No one else is home right now.

Took the tops of the legs down about an inch. Tried to stay along the original molded edge, but that may not be needed after I trim more so that I can actually walk.

Didn't like the annoying fraying on my belt, so I swapped in a new one.

Thoughts and feedback?

eieLl20.jpg

rWwRVnv.jpg

tgUkHrw.jpg

Looks great! :duim:

To me it looks like the chest is sitting very low, is it possible to get it higher, maybe shortening the shoulder elastics. 

I would recommend getting the previously mentioned sealing iron normally used for model plains and creating a new return edge at the top of the thighs. I had to shorten them too and I created new return edges, it's not as difficult as you might think and it just looks a little better. 

Thanks for taking a look, Hausi! Of the two adjustments you mentioned, adjusting the chest armor is a lot easier, so I'll get working on that first. Shouldn't be too bad, might need to punch some new button holes in the elastic though.