Rogue One Crystal Patrol Duty Field Pack Build Thread by ireachy and mr paul

mr paul

49 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

Wish you could see more details on the X wing helmet. That would be a cool edition to a pack

I can't get any better screen-grabs, but others may be able to. However, pretty sure we're never going to know how they attached the lids to the packs...

So, when I saw the Big Game teaser in the early hours of Monday night (in the UK) I immediately noticed something we the troopers appeared in the transit centre shot right at the beginning. If you look closely - at 00:07 - you can see what looks like a back pack on one of the troopers. The profile is very rounded rectangular shape. Is it possible that the we will get to see a Crystal Patrol Pack in SOLO? Or a variant of it?

If SOLO is approx. 10 years before R1 / ANH then the Death Star programme is well underway. In the R1 Catalyst novel we know that Galen Erso was working on Kyber Crystals and energy generation / transfer during the latter part of the Clone War. The scene from the SOLO teaser appears to be in some transit centre / station and close examination of the footage shows that the troopers are searching people. Searching for Kyber Crystals? This also links to why we see the Crystal Patrol Pack being worn by a trooper on The Ring of Kafrene station in R1 - a transit hub where smuggled Kyber Crystals have a good chance of being discovered.

All just hypothesis, but the profile looks about correct for Crystal Patrol Pack (or a variant of it) and the context of the setting appears sensible. Of course we may never know as likely that scene will always be in the background, if it even makes it into the final cut of the movie! But food for thought.

Mr Paul has also been looking and supplied the screen grabs.

gTLvJ6z.png

Y13rBWa.png

UIDQ06s.png

• Like 2

A 360 view of my current pack. This is built to the spec of the thread above but it has the longer antenna whereas the SWCE pack had the shortened variation. I plan on stripping this down and re-stuffing the alice pack to create a more squared off shape. I hope to make it a little lighter in weight in the process. While the pack is dismantled it will give me the opportunity to exchange 2 of the original webbing loops on the bottom, inside corners of the pack with the correct polypropylene webbing.

27749852_886987631480376_210768217805809

27751907_886987644813708_337182904458943

27540810_886987664813706_332174330524282

27544680_886987674813705_846591484462433

• Like 5

When I do a search for the fishing rod all I get is .uk sites. Even when I search for the NGT 12ft float master alternative all I see is .uk. Any alternatives for the us?

Also, is the bedroll still undetermined? I don't see any info for it.

Side note, this is so cool! Great work and detail! I saw this over on FIST and at the time thought 'some day' 

Now I'm ready!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, yoshix said:

When I do a search for the fishing rod all I get is .uk sites. Even when I search for the NGT 12ft float master alternative all I see is .uk. Any alternatives for the us?

Side note, this is so cool! Great work and detail! I saw this over on FIST and at the time thought 'some day' 

Now I'm ready!

There are no leads on the weather shroud (bedroll) at all. It has no features that can be distinguished. Myself and ireachy have speculated that it may be a poncho. Others have guessed it could be a pup tent. There are no seams or stitch lines visible so it has not been identified as yet. Your best bet is to scratch build one as we have done then shape and colour match to suit. Information regarding the assembly of my weather shroud has just been added to the thread.

I believe member Bradberry is based in the States and he ordered a pair of NGT Floatmasters the other day. It may be worth chasing him up to find out his source. Your chances or finsding the Avanti Precision X are now very slim to none as it is no longer produced or sold anywhere. It is obsolete. They are even rare to find on the secondary market as they were only ever cheap made rods.

Thanks for following our thread and pleased you are building one ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 7:29 PM, yoshix said:

Now I'm ready!

Unfortunately, I haven't found a source in the US. I ordered a pair of NGT's through eBay. Shipping was more than the product but they are pretty cheap to begin with. I believe the total amount was £60....about $82. But you could sell the second one off to recoup some of your investment. 

-david  

On 3/4/2018 at 11:29 AM, bradberry00 said:

Unfortunately, I haven't found a source in the US. I ordered a pair of NGT's through eBay. Shipping was more than the product but they are pretty cheap to begin with. I believe the total amount was £60....about $82. But you could sell the second one off to recoup some of your investment. 

-david  

82 dollars for half a fishing rod is so hard for me to justify at the moment. I expected to find a cheap replacement but I had no idea fishing rods were so expensive. 

Thanks for sharing David

Daaaaang. Yea man, I feel your pain. I don't even want to know at this point how much money has gone into my regular sandy pack. I managed to track down mostly vintage parts....that has been, pricey....

Maybe there is another fishing pole thats close thats cheaper or maybe it can be scratch built? 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, yoshix said:

82 dollars for half a fishing rod is so hard for me to justify at the moment. I expected to find a cheap replacement but I had no idea fishing rods were so expensive. 

Thanks for sharing David

$82 is for 2 of them...if you can find someone else that needs one you can split the damage.... I am using my second for a "Solo" variant that the Mimban Stormtroopers seem to have.

I also have an extra Norwegian grenade case that makes an excellent libation holder.

IMG_0425.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a comparison of the NGT 12ft float master (top) against the the Avanti Precision X (bottom) The NGT is overall a little wider diameter and the line guides are slightly out. The tip has been cut off from my Avanti already hence why the end is missing. The whipping on the NGT is gold instead of red and the eyes are a different diameter but overall a good substitute rod for the antenna.

wCAOiBa.jpg

iXN6cky.jpg

15BRydC.jpg

E7PwJUs.jpg

TmS7ssg.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I never did upload these shots of the pack in the Rogue One Blu-Ray bonus feature videos, in “The Stories” section from the segment titled “Visions Of Hope: The Look Of Rogue One”

As previously noted by iReachy These deployed patrol Troopers with packs appear to be carrying the prisoner X-Wing pilot’s helmets. More specifically hanging from the back left ALICE Pack cargo pocket strap.

6ds5ql0.jpg

dCI0ctM.jpg

5NcgVJV.jpg

o2JwpVp.jpg

I also caught the two Troopers on Crystal Patrol Duty in the background of this shot from the same segment of the bonus features.

ygIKO03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk