Eynonz

TD Knee Plate Placement

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times, but all the old threads I've been looking at have be ruined by Photobucket.

What it the ideal placement of the Knee Plate? and would you recommend gluing tabs behind it?

Thanks. Any measurement for how far down the knee plate should stop? Or should I just eyeball it from looking at photos?

You'll see on the plate it is shaped like a hexagon.  I used the half way mark as my guide, with half on the shin and half up in the air.  Hopefully that makes sense.

The first picture makes it seem really high up, might be the angle of the picture.  The other 2 look good to me.

I see what you mean, maybe I'll see how it looks when I'm wearing the thighs.

Hey Tom,

I posted on your UK WIP earlier today but just for clarification here, the Sniper pad needs to be lowered such that the two extreme corners of the hexagon is in alignment with the sloping edge of the shin armour behind it. This is based on the two attached screen grab images from the original 1977 movie. I've also added a rough hand sketch of the alignment as it would look if viewed from the front face of the sniper pad. The red ink lines is where it should be aligned to while the black ink lines is where you currently have it positioned. Hope this helps.

Movie Screen Grab 1.jpg

Movie Screen Grab 2.jpg

Sniper Pad Lowering Schematic.jpg

Thanks for sharing those screenshots.  I'll have to keep those in case this question comes up again.

No worries, Kirk. Happy to share and assist here. :)

Mine is lower like seen in the screenshot. I tried to keep the left and right points centered with the top ridge of the shin but also I'm short so need to make it not stick up too much so I can walk. 

Thanks all.

Speaking to Szen, we had to do a few more tweaks to get it to look correct on my skinny legs.

I'm happy with how it looks now.

Excuse the blinding whiteness, I've not jumped in a sand pit yet. :whistling:

rkvWM63.jpg

Just add a block of foam on the inside of the shin around the bottom point of the diamond and one on the rear of the thigh. It'll keep the diamond plate from catching your thigh!

58 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Just add a block of foam on the inside of the shin around the bottom point of the diamond and one on the rear of the thigh. It'll keep the diamond plate from catching your thigh!

Ah yes, the dreaded plate catcher.

I'll get my thights properly strapped, and see how it is. :)