Sign in to follow this  
Asher

Upper arm

Working on the fit of my upper arms. I am not sure what to do with the edge not lining up. The other edges seem fine. Any sage advise? If reshaping is an option, will it require a heat iron? If so where should I look for one. 

It's quite normal for parts not to match up perfectly. You can cover any mismatch with your joining strips if it bothers you or leave it as is. Here is an original bicep to show you how they were.

kXRyP39.jpg

Yeah you can buy a hobby iron from any hobby store that sells RC planes as that's what's used to seal the vinyl wrap around wings or get one on Amazon. Yours barely ticks out and can be heated up and bent flush with the other. Also can cover it all up with the cover strip. 

How wide should my cover strip be? I seem to have a rather large flat area after sizing these. 

The flat is 45mm wide

J2MjTmF.jpg

Edited by Asher

Cover strip measurements: 15mm for arms, 20mm leg fronts, 25mm leg backs. Try not to go much larger than these on the front. If you need more room for your arm, thigh, shin, add more room in the rear and not in the front. 

Example: front of thigh try to get to 20mm on the front with little to no ridge or flat spot on the sides. On the rear you can have more ridge or wider than 25mm on the rear. Try to find a happy medium. Ideally whatever size you do on the rear of the thigh, try to use the same size for the back of the shin. 

opps ! oh my.....

trimmed the front to 16mm thought I would get away with that -- they are very tight thought I could take out some of the return to loosen them up, but I mistakenly measured and trimmed the backs of them. :sad:

off to WTF to order more upper arms. 

how much return edge should there be at the top (shoulder) and bottom (elbow) ?

if  I make the front cover strip 15mm is there a maximum for the back ? 

my arms are not all that big not sure how I ended up this way but will measure better next go round.

Asher

This the problem with ROTJ based armour like WTF, AP, ATA, TE, RWA, DA, MTK etc.. they all have moulded in joining strips that are designed to be overlapped when assembled - governing the size you can make them. Using the measurements suggested by Jason are fine if you are slim and have proper ANH armour, but not so good in your situation as I believe a narrow joining strip on extra wide moulded strips like on your armour look bad.  You can use wider strips and I do this a lot for people who to big for armour. The key is to make it look right but more importantly - fit right.  If the arm strips need to be 25mm wide, use 25mm wide. I don't like it when someone suggests using thin strips when they are struggling to get the armour to fit right. There is no law saying you have to use thin strips. The ANH arm strips varied from 13-20mm wide and the legs 18-25mm so they do vary. The original armour only fits stick insects so if you can get away with using thin strips, good for you. If not, use whatever size necessary :)

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the insight. I will be ordering new arms this evening. Will pay closer attention to the strip in front to keep it looking correct.
Thanks again
Asher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those sizes are more of a guide and not "you MUST abide or no 501st entry". Making the front of the armor close to what's on screen helps and using larger cover strips on the rear. Find the happy medium though so you don't have a giant rear cover strip. I use the same method myself or I'd never get my biceps on even after remove all the return edges. Reach out to your GML to see what they suggest as well! 

I know what you meant and I agree with you :) But some people take the measurements too literally. I often see people stressing over their arm strips being 16mm wide and fretting they won't get into the 501st on Tony's Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment :P