Asher

Helmet lenses and S trim

Looking for ideas to best install my lenses. My ear bolts don't seem to be in a good position for this. Also, should there be any lip on the inside of the eyes?

Asher

We could be more helpful if you post pictures of what you're working with. Yes, there should be a lip.

Here is one alternate method: 

• Upvote 1

I think I would build three of those tabs from the video. One on each side and one on the bottom.

TK1636 has excellent videos, I used his technique and that’s how I put the lenses in my helmet I really like it.a61b3c0c14c8ab1a30a1d2bc3d8b76cc.jpgff78b0c3daf2d93e6accf84277743913.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I had lenses from fenix props that had holes drilled in . I glued in Chicago type screws from ace and the used a heat gun to shape the lenses for fit.
2b2bdff7bf45c8e1dfe764bb2c47b10a.jpg

576557bc496ad6f6ce9a1b99d0b26eb8.jpg

• Upvote 1

I would  also trim those ear bolts down. They will catch and pull on a balaclava .  

• Upvote 1

I have a long strip from Trooperbay and it fit on the bolts. I couldn't do the tab method as that'd always show up in my peripheral vision and annoy me lol. The screw method is commonly used

• Upvote 2

Some thing else I meant to ask about. 

Frown mesh. Yes or no ? Looking to go P.O. and later SWAT. Don’t want to put it in just to take it out later. 

10 minutes ago, Asher said:

Some thing else I meant to ask about. 

Frown mesh. Yes or no ? Looking to go P.O. and later SWAT. Don’t want to put it in just to take it out later. 

No mesh for SWAT, so id leave it out 

• Upvote 1

What is the general thought on painting the inside of the bucket?  

Asher

10 hours ago, Asher said:

What is the general thought on painting the inside of the bucket?  

Asher

Do what makes you happy but they didn't paint the insides of the screen used helmets. Unless you have a long neck, no one is going to see under your helmet 99% of the time. As far as mesh goes, you can wear a baklava to hide your face but personally, that's too hot and I don't care for it. 

• Upvote 2

Working on finishing the out side of the helmet, I wanted to ask about ear bumps.

which ear bump get painted black? I am still struggling to find a good shot of my swat reference. Was wandering if it was the same on all.

Asher

@HanvsVader. Could you elaborate more on how you mounted your lenses. Or more so , how you installed the Chicago bolts.  And what size and length they are? 

Much thanks 

Asher

Edited by Asher

I don’t know the size , I went to ace and got the shortest ones. I positioned them then glued in with jb plastic weld

Should there be any thing between the metal of the Chicago bolt and the plastic of the face plate?

I 'm off to get those bolts in the morning !

thanks 

Asher

How do you shape the lens material. Trying to fit them to use Chicago bolts. 

Asher

I used a heat gun, play it by feel and bend to the shape u want

While waiting to get the lenses shaped I though about the last of the painting.  I used the stick on tube stripes to make a making tape template to hand paint them on. So just how ugly can the tube stripes be. Need input before I proceed. Any comments welcome. 

Asher mtHLGZM.jpg

It's supposed to have a hand painted look so doesn't have to be perfect but you also don't want it to look like a kindergartner did it either :P Your black lines need some cleaning up. A Q-tip and a tiny bit of thinner can fix that right up. 

• Upvote 2

Thank you all for the advise.  The lenses have been sorted out.  Now I find my self looking at the S neck trim, and wonering ... which way does the trim go on the helmet or does it matter?

thanks 

Asher

As far as the s-trim is concerned, I just tried and then found out that one way it was just a better fit, but I think nobody's really going to have such a close look at it that it would hinder your approval.

For the tube stripes, buy some vinyl sticker sheet, it's way better than the tape you have in the above picture, you really want to pay attention that it's a tight fit so there won't be any paint running beneathe it.

For clean up work I used tooth picks instead of Q-tips. Both will work.

Have fun:thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

Good progress. Good direction.