Small Tubes on the Side of the Main Boxes - Backpack

1970s

He guys,

I was just thinking - if any of you have the Boy Scouts backpack Frame to make your Backpack - you know how you have to cut off the upper part of the tubes (on the right and left side of the frame, that are above the upper cross bar) that goes above the top main box. I wonder if after they (the original prop makers) cut these off they may have used them for the small side tubes on the right side of the Main upper box. They could have done this by cutting them down into 5 smaller tubes. It would make sence too because they would have had the extra tubing from the Boy Scouts backpack Frames. The look about the size of the small tubes that are on the sides of the main box. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Jack V.

RedFox@optonline.net

Possibly.

However, I don't think the Boy Scout frame is what they actually used. It's just what we can find today that looks close. If you check out the back pack frames on the Rebels on Hoth, you'll see the same frames used again. They all have a very distinctive bend in the middle that I find hard to believe they went through the trouble to 'knock' into a boy scout frame. I know, I tried it with a big, rubber mallet with no success.

At any rate, you can use 1/2in. PVC pipe to make those tubes.

Possibly.

However, I don't think the Boy Scout frame is what they actually used. It's just what we can find today that looks close. If you check out the back pack frames on the Rebels on Hoth, you'll see the same frames used again. They all have a very distinctive bend in the middle that I find hard to believe they went through the trouble to 'knock' into a boy scout frame. I know, I tried it with a big, rubber mallet with no success.

Did you ever try heating it with a torch and bending it? Just a thought!

Possibly.

Did you ever try heating it with a torch and bending it? Just a thought!

you could I suppose... then again you could do the same thing with PVC and a candle. The problem is that even with a jig to work against, a hollow tube like that will develop a 'bend', and not actually bend in the angle you desire cleanly enough. Rob 5422 could comment on this further, as I believe he tried it.

Hmm.. I had no problem, but I used the extra thick industrial grade PVC AND t shaped PVC couplers...that way the bend can be slight, and the coupler helps to alleviate the "wrinkle" effect.. Just use a low temp propane torch AFTER you insert the PVC into the coupler.. I'll try to get a pic of this and post it..