m4vrick

OK time is ripe for another project, in this case, the backpack. Took some time to assemble everything, especially in this part of the world. But everything is finally in place. I have to thank @Strider a lot because i did bombard him with tons of questions and he has been very patient to provide me all the necessary info. Backpack i will emulate here is the "Move along" #3 trooper's backpack. 

Warning: Not for the faint of heart: A lot of bondos, not pretty by sight (at least not yet), as this is pure DIYs and DIYs are not always pretty. 

The Frame (vintage karrimor). Measured it at 0.774 in diameter. I had to source the red canvas as what i got was definitely not red. 

img_8855.jpg

Pre fitting, accurate seedtrays are i believe thanks to @Strider. Who had shared with the sandy community close-to-screen accurate seedtrays. (pardon the mess, i know)

img_8527.jpg

Attached the red fabric onto it, painted the frame black:

img_8661.jpg

Gio Style Canteen. Closely followed @Airborne Trooper on the proper way to mod the canteen. Again, a lot of bondos. As for the top, i used a 1/2" hose pipe, inserted a marker (fit nicely) to properly shape it nice and straight. 

img_8516.jpg

img_8528.jpg

SHORT COMMERCIAL BREAK: if you ever need a close match to the Giostyle canteen, look no further, i introduce to you its brother: Lionstar canteen. Made in Indonesia, and i happen to supply them. (1:1 scale)

screenshot2017-07-13at10.37.33.png

BACK:

Ammo shells (this will be irregular in shape). 

img_8662.jpg

Coloring the seedtrays: RAL7031 is what i use. I must admit, i didn't expect to find that specific of a color in this part of the world. But here it is: RAL7031, Jotun brand. 

img_8591.jpg

Sonix Radio, i got from @woodman . Modded a lot of stuff on the inside, as i want it to open and close (yet sturdy). Electronic chatter will be installed in the future. 

radio_woodman.jpg

WARNING: ugly image to follow. Bear with me please 

img_8663.jpg

Siphon, i will use a vintage Shires siphon. It IS a Shires' siphon; not saying this is THE one, it should be very similar to what the screen used (no conclusive evidence & info on how many variations Shires produced their siphons then). But judging from their shape & length, this should be "close to accurate". 

Left: Shires Siphon UP90, Right: Gordon'ssiphon.jpg

Last for now, my favorite, the water bottles. I sourced a lot of bottles but finally managed to settle on one type: 1500ml Loreal Shampoo. 

img_8568.jpg

width should be +/- 9.5 cm . Mine: 9.6cm

img_8569.jpg

The height of the bottles, from end of the plunger, to the bottom of the bottles should be pretty near to +/- 20cm (might be shorter). I will have this cut to see how it'll match screen accurate wise. 

img_8670.jpg

That's all for now. Constructive feedbacks are always welcomed. I hope i can wrap this up by the end of this week. Will post more. Thanks for watching.

• Upvote 1

Continuing straight, (i really want this done asap & hopefully this week).

Exhaust Port.

All of the parts are pretty much DIYs. Managed to source a washer flexible pipe. Base of the port is simply acrylic sheet. I had to be careful to properly shape the sides of the port to fit nicely onto the seedtray's buldges. 

img_5876.jpg

img_5878.jpg

and voila, the Exhaust port and the fins attach nicely onto the upper seedtray buldges.

img_8714.jpg

Amazing build, you know i follow with great interest, bro!  :peace:

Only one thing, why in Gods name, are all of you guys using these ultrahighpriced hair shampoos for your bp bottles???

Striders is also that exspensive...    :tongue:

Ok, ok, i'm almost baldheaded, i really don't have a feeling for such hair grooming products....   LOL

• Upvote 1

Did a research, on the water bottles. I have to thank my XO, Shawn Truesdell, SL 88668 for this (credits to him). The tool he used is Photoshop image measurement. In this analysis, we used the famous roadblock scene:

sandtrooper-analysis-full-fram.jpg

*Note: drew in the focal plane to show the center line point so we can infer the height below & above the central focal point*

Known assumptions:
1. Brexton box is an identified part of the backpack. The close-to-screen used is 20.5cm in height
2. Close to screen accurate seedtrays are 20.2cm in height

Obstacles:
1. Quality of screen grab
2. Both the Brexton box and the blue box on the lower right quadrant appear to have rounded edges, making finding the centre of the edge even more tricky. 
3. Focal plane of the image
4. Distance between objects and lens compression: The distance between objects, and their relative distance to the camera creates issues for accuracy (for example the upper blue bottle is closer to the camera than the Brexton box and the lower bottle is closer to the camera than the upper bottle) .
5. Angle of objects: As can be seen in one of the rear screen grabs the lower bottle is not straight up and down, but on an angle. On the higher resolution screen grab from the back side angle used in this analysis, this would mean that the lower bottle is angled away from the camera. It actually looks straight up and down in the shot, but its hard to say.
Measuring Technique:

"in Photoshop I greatly increased the brightness and then duplicated the screen grab on a new layer, did a find edges filter in photoshop and then overlaid this on the original screen grab with a  on a seperate a darker colour layer filter.

Edges which were not highlighted I traced as best as possible, using the lighting as a guide where possible, such as the bight bits around the curve  of the Brexton box edges. Where needed I drew perspective lines to measure between them, such as the top and bottom of the brexton box. To get the top bottle I used the closest edge of the brexton box to the bottle and the furthest most edge of the bottle closest to the brexton box to try and compensate as much as possible for the distance gap between he two of them.

For the lower bottle I used the height of the blue box as it is at a very similar focal distance from the camera as the lower bottle. Each of the measurements you see in the image are green caps of the the ruler trace measurements, in cm, that were done in Photoshop."

Calculations:

Top Bottle:

Brexton measurement in image: 4.37cm
Supplied Height of real Brexton box is 20.5cm

Scale: 20.5 / 4.37 = 4.691

Top bottle measurement in image = 3.04 cm
Scale calculation: 3.04 x 4.691 = 14.26cm (suggest + / - 0.25 cm to account for shadow on bottle top, angle of image, residual distance from furthest edge of the bottle to closest edge of the brexton box & poor image quality).

Lower Bottle

Lower blue box measurement in image: 4.36cm
Height of lower blue box is (based on image provided & measurements provided) 20.2cm

Scale = 20.2 / 4.36 = 4.633

Lower bottle measurement in image = 3.05 cm
Scale calculation: 3.05 x 4.633 = 14.13 cm. (suggest up to a + 0.25 variance to account for the bottle being below the centre of the focal plane, thus we are looking down on it, the possibility that the bottle is angled slightly away from the camera based on other images provided and the edge of the bottle cap flair is likely blocking part of the bottle that would be visible on a flatter focal plane.)

72f8f4d0-5968-4fef-8852-8d233e.jpg

Conclusion:

Based on the above, the height of both (given the variance suggestions) is approximately the same, between 14cm and 14.5 cm based on this single frame analysis.

Feedbacks and constructive criticisms welcomed. Please let me know what you guys think of this. 

Wow, Vincent, i already knew you have a real dedication to details and most accurate parts on your pack but that sets a new standard, bro!

I can only applaud such amazing detective work! (Of course my applause is for your XO too!)

gj1.gif

As some of you know i've been here on the MEPD bunch almost from the start over decade ago.

Back then we only imagined that we could have such details and original parts finds like we had in this past months/year!

People like Strider and you  (and many other, you guys know who you are) raise the level of accuracy for all of us!

• Upvote 1

Hey bro,

this is an outstanding build and I'm always happy to see some thorough research  :salute:

I have 2 observations at this point: The first is the frame; with my pack the 2 lower seed trays are actually pretty much squeezed between the lower bar/curve and the bar on top. As a matter of fact, I had to bend the frame to a certain degree in order to make them fit between the two. This means if you still have some space left on the top you probably have to lower the upper bar.

Besides all those faboulous parts, the exhaust port does stand out a bit. It needs to be at least 1cm if not 1.5cm wider. I'm not sure about the other proportions but it might help if you could put it on the seed tray next to the bottle&cap to see how it fits lenght-wise.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Strider said:

Hey bro,

this is an outstanding build and I'm always happy to see some thorough research  :salute:

I have 2 observations at this point: The first is the frame; with my pack the 2 lower seed trays are actually pretty much squeezed between the lower bar/curve and the bar on top. As a matter of fact, I had to bend the frame to a certain degree in order to make them fit between the two. This means if you still have some space left on the top you probably have to lower the upper bar.

Besides all those faboulous parts, the exhaust port does stand out a bit. It needs to be at least 1cm if not 1.5cm wider. I'm not sure about the other proportions but it might help if you could put it on the seed tray next to the bottle&cap to see how it fits lenght-wise.

Cheers

Thanks for the inputs Stider. I will follow up on that

My package of joy has arrived. This has been the hold up to the project. Now this is finally here, i can continue on. 

Got the correct thermal detonator control panel from @ross8008 , thanks to Mr. Vintage @RoCKo for pointing it out. 

Thermal Detonator: 75cm in total height, diameter approximately 2.5"

img_9195.jpg

Radar Dish: Tupperware lid, & used what's called a carriage bolt. 

img_91962.jpg

Re-visited the frame and i  think i have figured out the "bend" for the frame. Thanks to @Strider for pointing this out. Referencing this picture, the lower seed trays have to stick as close to the lower supporting part of the Karimor frame. So, a reshaping was done and i had to trim down the upper part of the frame as well as it shouldn't be that tall. 

reference.png

reference2.jpg

Pardon the mess, this is pre-finishing.

screenshot2017-10-23at12.40.08.png

The behind the scenes:

backpack4.jpg

This is getting close to be done... i can smell it. :)

OK. I believe this is finally done! :peace:

backpack1.jpg

backpack2.jpg

backpack3.jpg

Constructive criticism always welcomed. I am still missing some minor details.

Thanks for bearing with me. In this i learnt that not all things that you can conveniently buy are better. I have made many mistakes and definitely asked too many questions to some of you along the way. I sincerely thank you friends. This journey in building this backpack has been personally satisfying and rewarding. 

Now PO application awaits...