Iggy's Fieldpack Build

Iggy

Hello MEPD!

I am working my way towards a Sandtrooper :td: . I have an Anovos kit I picked up from someone else who decided they didn't want to start their build. I have so far build the whole suit up (rivets, screws, snaps and all) and have not yet started the weathering. I want to make sure I get the right parts weathered in the right places. 

I have a white pauldron with the sew lines, but I am looking to emulate the alley sergeant here:

36424220705_f54f8c57cd_z.jpg3.2 by Iggy, on Flickr

Meaning 2 small spanish pouches and Pack Number 1.

35589364624_9e640bb072.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

Sneak into the armor build: 

36424281995_3802edbcb1_q.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

36287758301_fbc7cf9612_q.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

36256010472_3867bf6ffc_q.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

Anywho... I figured I would build up a few packs to at least meet P.O. Requirements until I can get more accurate and build a SWAT Level Pack.

Honestly I haven't found many posts on Pack Number 1's filter/vent thing upper left so I haven't ordered anything for that at this time.

I bent my 1/2" PVC to 150 degrees.

36287614641_f2f37a8224.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

Then I decided, lets bend more...

36255884932_3dfbccbbe9.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

Then cut to size. Next to some seed trays I picked up. (I can modify these as necessary, but I have seen these work in other builds here).

36424154685_defdefe893.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

I will be using 1/2" CPVC fittings to give the correct curves in the right places

I really like the look of the original Karrimor packs with the upper slight bend in them, so to do that I added a 1/2" CPVC Tee and 1/2" CPVC Cap. I also bend a piece of my 1/2" PVC to go in between. I also wanted to match the cut off look of the pack instead of just a curved upper portion. 

36379030336_75d08d4155.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

The 1/2" CPVC fittings match really well with the 1/2" PVC pipe. To fit them together I used 1/2" CPVC pipe. I had to heat up the PVC in order to squeeze the CPVC inside (it is just a hair too big, but fits once heated).

35616602893_93f6c7959b.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

I will be using 90 Elbows and 45 degree fittings to match the shape of the bottom part of the frame.

In the meantime I started printing away at the Radio and other accessories.

35589137854_e23d9333d3.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

Until I ran out of filament. I did get the top face of the radio, bottom face of the radio, 2 sets of the strap brackets, the upper portion of the siphon, but only part way through the bottom part of the siphon).

• Upvote 1

Hi, Reese. There's nothing wrong with the direction you're going for your pack but if you're going to print the more accurate radio, you might want to considering going  with the karrimor frame. You'll find out pretty quick that with the discovery of the Sonix radio dimensions that everything else needed to scale up. Those seed trays and frame will be too small. 

On 8/10/2017 at 10:07 AM, Airborne Trooper said:

Hi, Reese. There's nothing wrong with the direction you're going for your pack but if you're going to print the more accurate radio, you might want to considering going  with the karrimor frame. You'll find out pretty quick that with the discovery of the Sonix radio dimensions that everything else needed to scale up. Those seed trays and frame will be too small. 

These would at least go for Police Officer correct?

Is there a thread here with dimensions? I see mention of threads, but all of the pictures are photobucket and almost all of the links are broken. The text I have ready hasn't really explained the exact dimensions other than the karrimor frame is 3/4" diameter aluminum tubing, which the 1/2" PVC is actually right there at 3/4" outside diameter., so I have based my frame starting with the correct size tubing.

Maybe we can compile an exact dimension of known parts thread. Lots of bits are strewn about.. Many forums are like this though, so I have been searching quite a bit for the different parts.

Where can one find the accurate sonic radio files? I have found some on thingiverse that are linked in the 3D print thread here. The sides don't have the milled upward lines though I have noticed.

Here is my newly created frame using the looks of the Karrimor:

36367793371_2732856828.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

On another note, I purchased some wet ones for the packs and some tupperware pudding cups for the tops. :)

Yeah. I no longer click on people's photobucket links. Half the time I get the picture. Half the time I get 10 pop up ads and the iphone tries to kill the pages, etc. Not fun. And I still have my photobucket account, but stopped using it as well.

Strider's is one of the pages I have been following for building this one. 

On another note, just submitted my Sandtrooper for basic approval. I have weathered in same style as the Docking Bay no pauldron V2 trooper, just need to lighten some of my fullers earth because the clearcoat made it much darker than I was wanting.

On 14.8.2017 at 11:04 PM, Airborne Trooper said:

Check out strider's thread on building from found parts. You can still click on the photobucket placeholder and it'll take you to the actual picture I believe. 

I've just fixed the pics in the pack build with original parts and the grey-blue color thread :duim:

• Upvote 1

Guess what came in the mail this week? I found a good price from an Etsy seller and it came with this and another random canteen.

36577360121_7151021148.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

Also! Someone right around the corner from my work had a Brexton set listed on eBay and I asked about the Tupperware. Scored 2 Brexton boxes!

35906711263_5f43cc4abb.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

+ Vintage Tupperware pudding cups and a bunch of wetones bottles.

Looks like a real run, great scores!  :duim:

I have the very same Gio canteen from etsy too!

But since you got all this great vintage pieces, please get yourself a Karrimor frame!

They pop up on Evilbay for cheap every once in a while! 

6 hours ago, RoCKo said:

Looks like a real run, great scores!  :duim:

I have the very same Gio canteen from etsy too!

But since you got all this great vintage pieces, please get yourself a Karrimor frame!

They pop up on Evilbay for cheap every once in a while! 

Thanks for the heads up. 

On that note: just scored a Karrimor pack. Should arrive next week.

Where can one get accurate seed trays? Best place? Suggestions? :)

3 hours ago, Iggy said:

Thanks for the heads up. 

On that note: just scored a Karrimor pack. Should arrive next week.

Where can one get accurate seed trays? Best place? Suggestions? :)

Ross/RWA offers them over FB (he's also on the forum). He made molds working from my original seed trays.

Yep, great guy too! Ask him for the detonator plate too, i worked with him on those.

Most accurate detonator plate available at the moment afaik, don't know of anyone producing the correct 7-ribbed version.

If you're going for accuracy don't use the detonator plate coming with your armor!   :no:

Guess what came in the mail today!

36823622915_241672fe8c.jpgUntitled by Iggy, on Flickr

If I am NOT replicating the "Move Along" pack, but another pack from the alley scene, is the angle bend needed? The whole pack is already curved. I know there was discussion about the Move Along pack being the one with the major bend in it that everyone replicates, but there were questions on whether or not the other troopers had such harsh bends in between the seed trays (top and bottom).

This for example has very little bend:

35589187274_3eeb7f9306.jpg1.8 by Iggy, on Flickr

My opinion is that the Karrimor frame doesn't need a bend as it already has one. You'll see how Strider assembled his pack and it will make more sense when you see the side view. You will need to trim the top of the frame down by quit a bit though, but that's pretty standard for most of the pack types. 

6 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

My opinion is that the Karrimor frame doesn't need a bend as it already has one. You'll see how Strider assembled his pack and it will make more sense when you see the side view. You will need to trim the top of the frame down by quit a bit though, but that's pretty standard for most of the pack types. 

Oh, au contraire mon ami :) I needed to give it quite a bend so that the seed trays would fit...

I didn't see you mention anything about bending in your found parts build. Maybe once I get RWS seed trays I will have to bend. With my Tosche ones, I put one of the supporting backets inside the frame instead of on top. I know you didn't go that route this time around though.

bWKqbpg.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/27/2017 at 8:34 AM, Airborne Trooper said:

@Iggy any progress on your pack? 

I have fallen behind on my pack. :6:

I need to pick up some seed trays for the accurate sized pack so I kind of stopped...

My other packs with the CPVC and printed parts are close though. 

Winter time was super busy at work and I haven't really been able to (or want to because it has been so cold) get back out into the workshop/garage to continue building. 

Once it warms up, I will start back at the pack.

Yeah. My garage is separate and cold as hoth right now. 

I need to tear some of the boards off, seal, get new wiring, and insulate before getting any heat out there. Needless to say it has been on the backburner too long. Hopefully a project for the summer months.