Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mirador

ID 2543 entering the sandpit

8 posts in this topic

Hey all. I'm currently working on my TD. kit is MTK. Looking to get to L2 and maybe 3 in future :D

Would like to ask some questions along the way...1st one is wrt the helmet, must it be entirely hand painted or just the tube stripes?

Grace

ID 2543

Singapore Garrison

First of all welcome to the MEPD! 

The details must be handpainted for #2 and higher as you're aiming for #2 and possibly #3 in the future.

:salute:

Oh...I airbrushed mine. Does that count as hand painted or I literally need to use a paintbrush? 

20638150_10155520872921303_8445820446572

Welcome to the forum Brother, and nice airbrushing job.

The "details" referred to are things like the tubestripes and ear-surrounds etc. You should be fine with airbrushing the base helmet (happy to be corrected if that's wrong!)

Level 3 will expect to see specific paint drips in certain places, depending on the character your copying, so bear that in mind.

Good luck with your build

First, welcome,

Second, for my level 2, you can either hand brush or airbrush.  I hand painted mine and got approved no problem.  That should apply for level 2 and 3, as long as it looks the part it shouldn't matter how you do it.

Thanks guys. I'll look into getting the tube stripe template shortly, and also noted about the paint drips! :D

Some update pics. My strapping system. The chest piece will overlap in future, just a pic to show the brackets:

20728047_10155539922476303_8411927165015

Progress isn't so fast and I've run into a little problem. The crotch area is still too big/wide for me despite being trimmed to the maximum. Here's a pic of me in it (yes it looks overall terrible, more trimming on the sides will have to be done, and I think the arms are too high up?)

20708201_10155539929716303_5852945225232

Now my question is, is it safe (within basic approval and up to L3) to trim more of the crotch sides? I'm not a guy so walking with wider spread leg is quite discomforting. It doesn't cut but it's just makes me walk REALLY awkwardly.  I'll get a video next week and you'll see what I mean.

But if I can't trim anymore or risk not being L3 approvable in future I might have to rethink if I want that accuracy which I do badly want, or just try not to walk....which isn't feasible.

And here's a pic of my T-21. Far from being done or accurate but getting there. My only beef is that it seems overlarge for me at 125~cm long. I'm 168cm tall. It's near impossible to get a smaller one because nothing remotely similar can pass through customs, I had to have this one 3D printed. Still, less worrying than the above problem haha.

20728228_10155539933911303_2527087865741

18485506_10155235939546303_2394280996551

Yes I'm going for Gariden from Docking Bay 94...

Also managed to get replica Hovi-mix mic tips :) next week I will be done with the shins hopefully, reattach the chest properly. Now I'm scouting for as many references as I can for as close as I can get to screen exact weathering.

Haha! Walking awkwardly is what we do :dance:

you need to be reasonably comfortable though so I would get yourself approved,  trim a little, wear it for a troop and then tweak again as necessary.

some of the squad on here are still tweaking bits years after their approval

You're on a roll and that T21 does look really nice!!

And...once you're TD is approved you can join the Desert Foxes!! :duim: