Building a different sort of pack, Black Pauldron road block

Knockerbot

I've decided to go swat but there's problems. My buddy is the Move Along trooper and I want to be the black pauldron to his left. The problem is no one seems to make all the parts I don't think to that pack. Of they do I can't find them.

This is a list I sent to Crashmann to get a quote on parts. I have a few parts and I'll moist likely find and bold more myself. I'll update this as a build page I think.

Have:

-Crashmann frame. (from a set he sold to my friend Chris.)

-Mortar control panel, end caps, vac formed pitcher lid, and black ABS tube (2" electrical conduit from work)

-Left side laboratory pipe (3/4" PVC electrical conduit)

Need:

-Stinger (plastic mounting bracket, vacuum formed canteen, but there's no tube I don't think)

-Sonix Victory 75 Radio

Upper left toolbox (which I believe is on the right here)

-Cistern valve (zip ties, mushroom cap, and but no white bottle)

-Cistern (Gords most likely)

-Main boxes (seed trays)

-metal strips for frame.

-shoulder straps

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I need:

-Capacitors

-Exhaust port

-Mushroom cap with white bottle

Now my problem is the other parts. The top left has a box of some sort and the middle top has some sort of bottle. Any ideas on those?

Any help is appreciated. Just what you know about this pack or ideas on things to build would be awesome. Hopefully someone has built it before and I just can't find it.

Thanks everyone

pack_01a.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've decided to go swat but there's problems. My buddy is the Move Along trooper and I want to be the black pauldron to his left. The problem is no one seems to make all the parts I don't think to that pack. Of they do I can't find them.

This is a list I sent to Crashmann to get a quote on parts. I have a few parts and I'll moist likely find and bold more myself. I'll update this as a build page I think.

Have:

-Crashmann frame. (from a set he sold to my friend Chris.)

-Mortar control panel, end caps, vac formed pitcher lid, and black ABS tube (2" electrical conduit from work)

-Left side laboratory pipe (3/4" PVC electrical conduit)

Need:

-Stinger (plastic mounting bracket, vacuum formed canteen, but there's no tube I don't think)

-Sonix Victory 75 Radio

- Upper left toolbox (which I believe is on the right here)

-Cistern valve (zip ties, mushroom cap, and but no white bottle)

-Cistern (Gords most likely)

-Main boxes (seed trays)

-metal strips for frame.

-shoulder straps

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I need:

-Capacitors

-Exhaust port

-Mushroom cap with white bottle

Now my problem is the other parts. The top left has a box of some sort and the middle top has some sort of bottle. Any ideas on those?

Any help is appreciated. Just what you know about this pack or ideas on things to build would be awesome. Hopefully someone has built it before and I just can't find it.

Thanks everyone

pack_01a.jpg.fd2ddc4712963911c31e2496725e0508.jpg

I can get some pieces for you. I am currently building the same pack for someone.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Well the middle bottle and top left box are the ones I'm most stuck in. So message me a quote if you can help on those. 

Also quotes on any other parts are apprecated but most likely I'll be going with Crash just out of simplicity of making eveything for the frame I already have. But I'd still appreciate the PM.

• Upvote 1

Also Crook if you happen to have better HD screen they would be appreciated. I was shown once upon a time where to find them online and I can't remember lol

• Upvote 1

Hi Chris!

Although a little dated, this web page has a detailed description of the 5 different sandtrooper backpacks, and it sounds like you're building a #1 pack:

https://tk386.com/backpacks/

Here's another analysis and description of the details that go into the backpack by MonCal:

MonCal_Backpack_3_capture_02.jpg

The top left filter box is actually pretty easy to make, and I can offer the parts for it if you're interested:

Filter_Box.jpg

Cut out the hole so you can see the filter element, then glue the sides to the base, and the lid to the sides.

==========

The center bottle is difficult to replicate because you can see the domed shape at the top. There was some discussion a while back about different bottles, but no one has found a definitive item. Check out Strider's build thread using a cut down shampoo bottle:

Photobucket is being poopy and not sharing the photos, so here they are:

Strider_Backpack_03.jpg

Strider_Backpack_02.jpg

Strider_Backpack_12.jpg

Strider_Backpack_13.jpg

Strider_Backpack_14.jpg

It looks like the bottle was cut down by an inch or two, then he used a plastic shim inside to mount the lid.

The top of the bottle has a UFO shaped item, just slightly wider than the bottle. Some folks have used the backing plate for a drill mounted sanding disc:

drill_sander_attachment.jpg

The rest of the items from your list should be easy to source (I might know a guy :) )

I've lost the link for the screen captures on MEPD, but you can find a bunch on FISD (after you sign in):

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/54-sandtroopers-blueray-screen-captures/

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with.

Charlie

• Upvote 1

When I look closer to the parts I feel that we might be wrong on some parts...let me know what yo think.

The 1"strap isn't a strap at all if you'd ask me. It looks more like the black tape that was used for the seedtrays on the #3 pack

And the bottle and filter on the pack look more like carparts to me.

The filter looks coorect to me and then specific like an airfilter for the interior of your car.

The bottle looks more like an oilfilter...

4627133%20olejový%20filtr%20Perkins.jpg

xinterieurfilter-auto-schoonmaken_jpg_pagespeed_ic__oSN8AQUBY.jpg

I don't think at that time they were using cabin filters or flat air filters, most if not all cars were carbureted and the filters circular in nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HansVader said:

I don't think at that time they were using cabin filters or flat air filters, most if not all cars were carbureted and the filters circular in nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right...I'm not a petrolhead by nature so thanks for clarifying :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dutchy said:

But when you look closely there isn't even a filter element in it...

Plus you can clearly see the saucer/ disk element on top of the bottle.

sandtrooper_hd_102.png

So, filter or no  filter?

I knew this would stir up a bit of conversation :)

The oil filter is the right-ish shape but I've personally never seen one as big. I think I may do the shampoo bottle unless there is a definitive answer. A filter that size would add a huge weight to the pack and if I can skip that I would prefer to.

As for the filter box on the left I'm going to use a project box from Sayal electronics up here in the Great White North. I figure in the neighbourhood of 6.5" x 4.5" x 2.5". Then using a car air filter for the middle. 

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 4:25 AM, dutchy said:

The filter looks coorect to me and then specific like an airfilter for the interior of your car.

xinterieurfilter-auto-schoonmaken_jpg_pagespeed_ic__oSN8AQUBY.jpg

When I looked they were all going the wrong way to the requirement (blades are width rather than height-wise).  Maybe there are others out there but I could only find those...

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 9:09 PM, Knockerbot said:

I knew this would stir up a bit of conversation :)

The oil filter is the right-ish shape but I've personally never seen one as big. I think I may do the shampoo bottle unless there is a definitive answer. A filter that size would add a huge weight to the pack and if I can skip that I would prefer to.

That's the fun part of the MEPD, there's always a reason to start up a good conversation! :)

I know that diesel trucks and loaders have big filters but the weight is definitely someting that needs to be taken in consideration as well.

• Upvote 1

btw, has anyone ever thought about the fact that the "saucer/ top lid" object  on the bottle simply could be a pitcher lid turned upside down without the insert..

• Upvote 1

On 7/3/2017 at 0:29 PM, Caomhanach said:

May need to get this set updated after this build - Looks like it has been seriously omitted..!

http://www.mepd.net/crl/private/

I agree- I LOVE this trooper's loadout- although part of the issue is that when seen from the back and side the trooper has cheese grater handplates, when the scene flips to a front-on shot he's wearing standard plates.

RT-97C
Pack #1
Black Pauldron
Leather MP 38/40 Shoulder Pouch (no tool kit)
Roadblock Pouch on Right Hip
Small Spanish Pouch on Left Hip
**Cheese Grater Handplates***

Screen Caps are in order:

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-4967.jpg

Here you can see the trooper on the right is our man- you can just make out the tiny SSP on his left hip.

Better shot in the next frame
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-4968.jpg

Our chappy on the far left turning to face the speeder
http://caps.pictures/197/7-starwars4/full/star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-4971.jpg

Here is his now second from the left- Roadblock pouch on right hip visible
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-4974.jpg

Cheese Graters now visible
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-4977.jpg

Now head on- handplates switch.  The Captain who is standing right next to our chappy in question is behind the SE orange droid walking through the scene.
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-4998.jpg

• Upvote 1

At the risk of dropping a MEGA sized pic here, I've done the frame by frame breakdown of the scene.
Each illustrated panel is keyed to an individual frame on https://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope-1977/28/
starting about halfway down the page with pic 98 of 180 (for those that like to follow along at home. :td:)

Hopefully this doesn't blow the doors off of everything on the page here.
0FN3g6z.jpg?1

Edit- I added the individual frames in so people can do a direct comparison without having to jump back and forth between pages. POV is basically where the frame numbers are at the bottom of each mapped graphic.

You're awesome Badbatch! That pouch breakdown is going to help so much buddy. Thank you

This is so much fun.

Making my own lab pipe too. I have  lengths of 1', 1/2", and 3/4" so I'll just play around until it looks good. Perks of being an electrician, easy access to scrap conduit.