TD build, hoping for basic approval

coldwarSalty

Hi all!

I had my BBB Day several weeks back and have been working on my armor ever since. I just wanted to post some pictures of where I'm at right now on the build, and hope I'm at least going in the right direction. I'm really only hoping for basic 501st approval, at least at this point. I haven't started the calves at all, and I think I need to work on the thigh strapping. They are tending to want to turn inward a bit. I need to go back and finish some slight trimming and sanding pretty much everything down. And, of course, weathering. I just want to make sure I'm still on the right track. I've been trying to follow the CRL very closely. Thanks!

IMG_5313_zps3pigiffk.jpg

IMG_5309_zpshpgudx9c.jpg

IMG_5308_zpsjz5yn6es.jpg

From my understanding, you technically do not, but I think it would add a lot to the look if you did. 

From the CRL on basic approval - 

For 501st approval:

• All Sandtrooper armor parts are weathered.
  • Left side Abdomen Armor has a minimum of three, and maximum of four painted white buttons.
  • Right side Abdomen Armor is a blank square and does not contain buttons like the Stormtrooper.

From the CRL on level 2 approval - 

• Armor side gaps are closed or nearly closed.
    • No more than 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) gap on either side.
    • This is done by adding a shim (or shims) of a similar type and color of material as the Abdomen and Back Armor.
    • Shims fit flush and may have seams, though ideally they will be seamless to the Abdomen and/or Back Armor, resulting in a single seam between the two rather than extra seams where the shims are joined.
  • Rivets on the left side of the Abdomen / Kidney Armor:
    • A total of (6) rivets with three on the abdomen and three on the kidney.
    • Rivets are equally spaced out along the depth of the armor and about 10mm from the edge.
  • One snap on the top right hand side of the Abdomen Armor:
    • Back of male side of snap shows on outside of Abdomen Armor.
  • Visible fasteners under lower Codpiece center area include one split rivet or brad in the front.
    • Fasteners need not be functional.

Defiantly on the right track trooper.. :duim: The approval is usually up to the local GML for basic approval, most of the time as long as you follow the CRL it will go well.

Something i noticed is the gaps in the shoulders.. Bring the tops of the shoulders into the shoulder bridge and angle them forward to minimize the gap at the front. 

Yeah I hadn't mentioned it in my post, but I had already made note to do that. There will be a bunch of little adjustments I'm going to make. I think I'm going to completely redo my white elastic shoulder straps too. One of those things where I get ideas how to make something better as I do them. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the center rectangle of the ammo belt lined up with the cover strip, but I think I had my thigh twisted over too far. Below I have some updated pics from last night's test fitting. I redesigned my shoulder straps and added weathering and my waist ammo belt. Every time I do a test fitting I find more things to put on my to-do list.

IMG_5389_zpse8bddi46.jpg

IMG_5383_zpskwet9pab.jpg

IMG_5381_zpsjovynpi6.jpg

Nothing strange there for me for basic approval!! Great job and a great result :duim:

The only thing that (still) needs attention is the side gap..but'that already has your attention.

:salute:

Thanks! Ok yeah I'll see if I can tackle the shins this weekend. There are still a few places I need to trim just a bit and sand down. But I do think I'm close! Thanks for all your help!

Looks great... Keep an eye o. Your left thigh... Get it a bit higher otherwise you'll be always hooking the sniper plate under it and it will torment you to no end.

Put a piece of foam behind the diamond plate, or a little lower on the middle of the shin and it'll help keep it pushed out, do the same for the rear of the thigh and it'll help keeping them from knocking into each other. 

I also noticed your thigh ammo is not attached correctly. The bottom needs to be rounded off and it should be attached on the top corners. 

DSC_7002_zps1kmgg3w4.jpg