Storage Options

So as we all know, storage for personnel effects are slim to none in TK and TD alike. I can't be the first to think of this but has anyone ever though of or actually used their pack as storage as well? My thought was using the "tool box" as a storage box as well. In this picture you can see that it looks almost like there's electrical tape keeping it closed .

What I came up with is finding some low profile style hinges and using e6000 to stick them on to the toolbox that I can make using foam core or foam board(to save on weight) and making it closeable. Put some netting or some kind of storage solution on the inside for a cell phone, wallet, etc. Any thoughts? When I get a drawing made up I'll post on this thread so it's a little easier to understand.

-Commander_Cody 18757028be1a08f171f62bc9551bcedf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

I actually use my hip pouch. And had planned to use either the tool box or the mortar tube for storage. I would prefer the mortar tube, as people can be pickpockets or curious to see if the tool box or other parts open.

• Upvote 1

So as we all know, storage for personnel effects are slim to none in TK and TD alike. I can't be the first to think of this but has anyone ever though of or actually used their pack as storage as well? My thought was using the "tool box" as a storage box as well. In this picture you can see that it looks almost like there's electrical tape keeping it closed .

What I came up with is finding some low profile style hinges and using e6000 to stick them on to the toolbox that I can make using foam core or foam board(to save on weight) and making it closeable. Put some netting or some kind of storage solution on the inside for a cell phone, wallet, etc. Any thoughts? When I get a drawing made up I'll post on this thread so it's a little easier to understand.

-Commander_Cody 18757028be1a08f171f62bc9551bcedf.jpg

I was just thinking about this myself. I was thinking for sound options also. I was the pondering the top seed tray , hinges and a latch. Foam on the inside to hold wallet and cell and then cut a hole/vent to push sound through between the pack and back plate. I would love to see what you come up with. I'll be working on this as I build my swat pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

I actually use my hip pouch. And had planned to use either the tool box or the mortar tube for storage. I would prefer the mortar tube, as people can be pickpockets or curious to see if the tool box or other parts open.

I never thought of the mortar tube option, would you just stuff it with foam up to the top or let it go down to the bottom?

• Upvote 1

I was just thinking about this myself. I was thinking for sound options also. I was the pondering the top seed tray , hinges and a latch. Foam on the inside to hold wallet and cell and then cut a hole/vent to push sound through between the pack and back plate. I would love to see what you come up with. I'll be working on this as I build my swat pack.

What I'm planning on doing as of right now is to use the "admin pocket" from an old bag and rig to the inside of the tool box. That way I can put a small wallet, my phone, super glue and and some other emergency repair tools/pieces in there as well. Still haven't figured out how to keep it closed or secured yet but I'm working on it

• Upvote 1

What I'm planning on doing as of right now is to use the "admin pocket" from an old bag and rig to the inside of the tool box. That way I can put a small wallet, my phone, super glue and and some other emergency repair tools/pieces in there as well. Still haven't figured out how to keep it closed or secured yet but I'm working on it

Post pics as you work on it . Would love to see you progress and solutions

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Commander_cody said:

I never thought of the mortar tube option, would you just stuff it with foam up to the top or let it go down to the bottom?

On the bottom I would make a swinging door similar to how the containers used for pneumatic tube systems are.  I would put my items in a "view-tainer" and stick them up in the tube, swing/slide the bottom shut.
I have seen TKs do it with their thermal detonator piece. But that is something that people have messed with. At least on the pack, the least obvious place someone would put something is in the radio box or the mortar.

And it wouldn't have to be a View-tainer, the dollar store has little kids size water bottles that are skinny.

• Upvote 1

I installed snaps and snapped a clear pencil holder in my chest plate. I use it for my Aker, battery, and TKTalkie but you could easily use it for a wallet, cellphone. I leave that stuff in my armor bin with my clothes though. 

• Upvote 1

I've just velcro'd a leather phone case inside my chest plate.

it's slightly larger than I need for my phone, so I can easily drop it in and fish it back out again without taking armour off.

it also has a pocket to hold a couple of credit cards.

the bit I'd like to do is find somewhere for a bottle of water...

On 6/29/2017 at 6:51 PM, Stevieboy aka DarthStevius said:

I've just velcro'd a leather phone case inside my chest plate.

it's slightly larger than I need for my phone, so I can easily drop it in and fish it back out again without taking armour off.

it also has a pocket to hold a couple of credit cards.

the bit I'd like to do is find somewhere for a bottle of water...

You could probably rig up a camelback and run the hose under your neckseal and into your helmet. When I remember, I try to hydrate the night before a long troop but make sure you take breaks and remove your bucket when you can. 

• Upvote 1

You could probably rig up a camelback and run the hose under your neckseal and into your helmet. When I remember, I try to hydrate the night before a long troop but make sure you take breaks and remove your bucket when you can. 

I have toyed with that idea for a while now but I could never think of a way to do it. Plus having it between your body and backplate adds depth and it may not snap together correctly or you'll run the risk of the bladder getting a hole in it