Weathering problems, need advice

Revolver Ocelot

Been running into trouble weathering my suit. I am using the Panda trooper tutorial but cant seem to get the dusty look that he does. I've wiped it down and started again like 4 times and it always ends up the same. Any tips?

20170619_194805.jpg

20170619_194719.jpg

20170619_194724.jpg

VS, this:

panda_1.png

11 minutes ago, stevebeast said:

Yep, in the last few weeks I went thru an entire tube of burnt umber none of it looked right, not even a spot where the color looked right

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

What did you end up doing?

Took me a long time to figure it out myself. It requires a lot of patience so don't think you'll finish the entire armor in one day. Get a wet sponge or rag and you're going to thin out the burnt umber with water. lightly cover the entire piece. You're basically washing it brown. Let it dry and do multiple coats in areas you want to darken. 

It doesn't look bad, I use more than just burnt umber though. Personally I use raw umber mixed with raw sienna , apply it and wipe it off and then add raw umber mixed with Payne grey and since that's darker I apply that in recessed areas and wipe off. After the paint I hit it with hairspray and add fullers earth and scrub that off with sandpaper that way you get different levels of wear and it looks less uniform color and pattern wise. Here are some photos of my helmet in progress. bea18bcf447a32669739ee42c36bb0fe.jpg0de8612efbe5f4a70b17224f740ed31c.jpg97e91768c6756c6cc198fa66e4430355.jpgdb0f435fac13ff13b411707e0b337ea7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small bottle of my desired colour of paint mixed with water to thin it down, I then place a few drops of this on the armour part I'm working on then dab it all over with a piece of sponge, once I've got it even I then flick the tiniest amount of water at the armour and dab it again in a random pattern this gave me the desired look.

Hope this helps.
Warrena8e7b3f93a4fb83fb73a6e49af4291ce.jpg82132a8c47ba8146893315434f515b44.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

On ‎21‎-‎6‎-‎2017 at 0:55 AM, Stevieboy aka DarthStevius said:

I found dabbing it off with an old damp fluffy towel worked better than wiping.

it gave a much better sandy/dappled effect.

Tha't's my preferred method as well. The result is much more satisfying.

But it looks good now, practice does make perfect ;)

:salute:

Looking good, maybe replace. your knee plate with a more accurate one before you're completly done with the legs!

knee_01.jpg

Otherwise keep the good work up and one last advice...

Try to have your weathering not too different to other TD's in your Garrison, that way it won't make you stand out that much in public events!

On ‎6‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 2:14 AM, stevebeast said:

good news, just got approval I'm official MEPD

see you in the streets

Excellent job!!! First drink in the Cantina is for free  ;)

• Upvote 1

What do you guys think of the weathering? It is an old fx/Am suit i bought a long time ago. Wanted to test out the weathering before i put my Anovos suit together. Does the weathering style look good enough to be deployed?

I was going to submit it and upgrade pieces as i go but i really don't like the look once i got everything on, way to tall for it.

PvddQM2.jpg

i8MrPW9.jpg

I'd have to say that this looks good too.

The only suggestion I'd make is that you could add some darker tones to the weathering as now the yellow tones seems to have the upperhand. Or it can be lighting too..do you have pictures of you wearing it outside?

Yea, its just layers of burnt umber right now. Was thinking about afding some raw umberto highlight areas i want to be darker, like the slash across the chest.

Also going to start assembly and fitting my anovos suit in tandem.