Starting my first build

Hi all,

Starting my first built.

Got all the white armor from the UK 3 weeks ago and started ith the helmet. Most of the soft goods will come from The Imperial Supply Depot from the UK.

I started with the helmet. Top left picture the left helmet is a black series.

20170507_150511.jpg

I wanted to eather it using ashes and Valleyo desert sand:

20170507_184452_1.jpg

It didn't look very good. Too yellowish paint spotty. I used a grey black wash after (no picture) but that made it worse.

So I cleaned it mostly off just now with cleaning sprit. that got off most but also reacted to the ears creating some cracks.

20170508_195506.jpg

I fixed it just now with milliput.

20170508_202753.jpg

I like the greyish leftover wash now actually. I have to redo all the painting.. Luckily I bought extra templates for the blue stripes. I am going to wait weathering the rest of the helmet when the rest of the white armor is done.

I also started with my electrobinoculars.

20170421_171747.jpg

I still need to prime sand and paint them.

And I started printing a DLT19.

20170508_213029.jpg

That is it for now :D

Looks like whatever you used to get the weathering off ate away plastic. Not sure what level you are looking to achieve but ear gaps are screen accurate but it appears you filled them in with epoxy or some material. 

Yes, I did it when I was fixing the cracks.

I probably just want level 1. I saw a lot of helmets that filled ear gaps with weathering and filled it with sand. So I thought that would be good to fill it. 

I mean, like in these the gaps are filled with weathering. I love the top left one by the way :)

20170508_221306.jpg

Thanks for mentioning it though!  I might get a better helmet if I will go for a screen accurate version :D

There he is! Looks promising already but what a bummer with the cracks in the ears.

You should  always try to use a water base colour so you can remove it without damaging the armor as happened in your case. But you've solved it in a good way! And I like the grey basecoat you are using now. Bear in mind that the white will look darker now once it is applied...

14 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Not sure what level you are looking to achieve but ear gaps are screen accurate but it appears you filled them in with epoxy or some material. 

Small gaps are indeed screen accurate, but it all depends on what your goal is/ will be.

Keep us posted and good luck with your build!

:salute:

Cool, looks like you're off to a good start! I'm still fascinanted by the range of possibilities those 3D printers offer. Definitively a very useful tool to have at disposal :)

I'm surprised to see that the ear reacted with the cleaning spirit. I assume the material is HIPS?

I thought it was ABS so I stayed away from the acetone. Maybe it is a blend/ mixture. I also notice that in some 3D filament which are supposed to be 100% ABS or PLA. :D

Anyway, I was able to fix it.

Normally I would have done it with water but I used Vallejo earth texture and needed something stronger to remove it.

It is cool stuff for mimicing desert dioramas, but didnt gave the effect on the lid I was hoping for. :(

20170509_230519.jpg

11 hours ago, johaneggink said:

It is cool stuff for mimicing desert dioramas, but didnt gave the effect on the lid I was hoping for. :(

I don't know it but I like the colour though.....and practice makes perfect :)

I myself have experimented several times untill I had the desired look/ effect.

:salute:

• 2 weeks later...