Let's Talk Fans

I don't use it atm. I went full accurate assembly and replicating a few years ago and fans just don't meet the concept.

I used to have them anyway afew years ago, or more than a few, I used computer fans powered with 1 9V battery each. To be honest, they served well for a while, but after getting used to the armor and helmet, I just didn't need them. I can see needing them if trooping without removing the helmet for a few hours straight or in very hot conditions, but that doesn't happen very often to me.

Anyway, I do think that it is a little mod that does make the costume less uncomfortable, its just I'm a replica kind of guy.

Saludos.

I was working on my bucket during the dry spell, after Echo stopped making fan brackets and before Ukswrath picked up the mantle.  So I replicated Echo's setup as well as I could, in terms of bracket shape, working from photos in his sales thread.  I made a few cardboard mockups before I dialed in the size I liked for the bracket.  Then I took a cheap black plastic bin from Walmart and sacrificed it to the scrap plastic gods, cutting my bracket out of it.  Covered it in Gaffers tape to soften the sharp edges.

20160328023222-43f59eee-me.jpg

Simple 5v blower fans (squirrel fans) from Amazon, a couple of switches from Radio Shack, a 5V lipstick-style cellphone charging battery (3000 mAh) and some quick disconnects for the wiring completed the setup.  I chopped up some old USB cords (an old keyboard and mouse that didn't work very well anymore sacrificed their USB connectors) to connect the fan wiring to the battery packs.

20160327131031-49261281-me.jpg

Clean side, all mounted up:

20160521175257-48c44a5f-me.jpg

Under-side, hidden behind the bracker while wearing:

20160521175300-c1beb37d-me.jpg

Here it in, in place: (I was still toying with wire routing at the time this was taken)

20160521182328-adf8706c-me.jpg

I loved the toggled switches I used, but they proved to be a bit fragile on the underside, as they're a little deep.  I toyed with 3D printing a housing for them, but ultimately decided to give Ukswrath's brackets a try, once he started selling Echo's original design (with permission).  His switches aren't as easy to actuate as my toggle switches, but the form factor is better and they're more durable, so that's what I've been trooping with since.

I still use those same phone charger batteries to power it, though.  They're velcro'd in place with industrial Velcro.  Works great!  I get 8+ hours of runtime off of a charge.

• 11 months later...