I've been in communications with a trooper on FISD and he's come up with a unique alternative to the iCOMM, ROMFX, and some of the smartphone apps. It runs on the teensy system which is a type of microcomputer. What I like about this system over some of the others is how easy it is to customize. I built the entire thing for less than $100 and it takes up less space than an iComm. The project can be seen at TKTalkie.com 

Here's how I had mine setup. I've made a few changes to other electronics since then though. 

This is very helpful.  A few of us in my Garrison who troop 40+ times a year, myself included, have all had our iComms fail and stop working.  This is an awesome, awesome option!

The big issue with iComms is the internal battery dies at the worst time. They also aren't able to be customized. 

My setup is a bit unique but really you just need a simple 5v power supply to power it. A small USB battery pack would be sufficient. 

4 hours ago, Airborne Trooper said:

The big issue with iComms is the internal battery dies at the worst time. They also aren't able to be customized. 

My setup is a bit unique but really you just need a simple 5v power supply to power it. A small USB battery pack would be sufficient. 

iComm can be modded to use an external battery.  There's a pinned post on FISD showing how.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37188-modding-the-icomm-with-an-external-battery/

(not that the teensy setup isn't very cool, but the bit about the iComm was not accurate)

31 minutes ago, kman said:

iComm can be modded to use an external battery.  There's a pinned post on FISD showing how.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/37188-modding-the-icomm-with-an-external-battery/

(not that the teensy setup isn't very cool, but the bit about the iComm was not accurate)

Can the iComm be modified to work more than 6 months?

31 minutes ago, Punisha said:

Can the iComm be modified to work more than 6 months?

I haven't tried it yet.  But once the battery is external, it's really simple to swap in fresh batteries on an as-needed basis.  (or prophylacticly, if your fear is having it die mid-troop, since it doesn't matter with rechargables)

It also depends on how much you're trooping, and how much your voice rig is used on those troops.  That's going to vary greatly from trooper to trooper, depending on how much they troop and what type of troops they choose.

Of course, once you have external access to battery connections, you can attach however big a battery you want, as long as you get the voltage correct.

17 hours ago, kman said:

I haven't tried it yet.  But once the battery is external, it's really simple to swap in fresh batteries on an as-needed basis.  (or prophylacticly, if your fear is having it die mid-troop, since it doesn't matter with rechargables)

It also depends on how much you're trooping, and how much your voice rig is used on those troops.  That's going to vary greatly from trooper to trooper, depending on how much they troop and what type of troops they choose.

Of course, once you have external access to battery connections, you can attach however big a battery you want, as long as you get the voltage correct.

Mine is a static-filled shorting -out piece of garbage.  Several of ours are at this point.  We're actually stopped recommending that any of our recruits purchase them.  

Ive started to look into this one as my Icomm battery has died for the 2nd time in a year... V3 does look great, was watching this video above this weekend as well.. Only issue is finding the hardware locally in Canada.. 

On 3/14/2017 at 9:26 AM, TD42115 said:

Ive started to look into this one as my Icomm battery has died for the 2nd time in a year... V3 does look great, was watching this video above this weekend as well.. Only issue is finding the hardware locally in Canada.. 

I just ordered the last things I need to upgrade to v3. It'll be very nice to do everything live from my iPhone and not have to hook up to the Adreno app on my computer anymore. 

7 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

I just ordered the last things I need to upgrade to v3. It'll be very nice to do everything live from my iPhone and not have to hook up to the Adreno app on my computer anymore. 

I have found a local supplier.. Same cost in CAD as the USD prices ya ya and no currency conversion.. Ordered the Micro-controller and audio board.. already have everything else, printing a box via the TKtalkie site STL file..  Should be Icomm less by end of the month lol :duim:

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is done and its working great. Made a custom audio loop combining several TD and ME loops. Removed everything but radio chatter and typical interference.. Main loop is about 35min long. I have also fine tuned the setting in the sketch for my setup as modifying parameters via text file is a pain. 

In my opinion this is way beyond the icomm, response is better and the customization is just awesome.. My icomm is for sale with new battery..  In the end i was able to get everything, TKtalkie, BT mic receiver, 5v 2600 battery and 10W aker in my shoulder pouch.. 

I have the parts to integrate the new BT setup for config but dont think i need to do it as its now fine tuned.. We will see..  

Would you care to share your loop? I am always looking for loops to add to my pack radio mp3 player. I started playing with the Bluetooth transmitter last night and got most of it done. Realized I bought 3 post 3.5m male jacks instead of 4 post. I'll have it done by the weekend, but have to wait until the updated sketch is released to have it fully converted. 

• 2 weeks later...