TD 42115s Blaster Weathering T21, DLT19

Hello troopers, 

Figured i would finally post the pictures of the blaster weathering i did back in the summer,. Was striving for real weapon replication..  3 step process, base(aluminum or steel), 2nd base (gun metal), then a final glossy top coat. after letting them dry for 24 hours i distressed the layers with a thinner for the paints used and several rags.. 

Here are the results.. 

First off is the bad @ss T-21 by Blaster 8266 (I modified the handle for comfort)

T21%20Right_zpsspb0tdsh.jpg

T21%20Right%20Barrel_zps2milpqsl.jpg

T21%20Left%20Body_zps5rusacmr.jpg

T21%20Left%20Barrel_zpsekhm9dnp.jpg

Now the DLT-19 from Hyperfirm, this was an A grade, (custom fakelite stock) 

DLT19%20Left_zpse3bcqu8e.jpg

DLT19%20Right%20Barrel_zps0b6lt7mz.jpg

DLT19%20Right%20Body_zps1p9w4v3a.jpg

DLT19%20Right%20Details_zpspkdda1iq.jpg

DLT19%20Stock_zpsmtprn54u.jpg

I did my resin E11 as well but never troop with it was just for fun..  

E11%20Left_zpsdgnuwra3.jpg

E11%20Right_zpsfijwtvj8.jpg

Thanks for looking

3 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

Looks awesome! A little weathering makes a huge difference from making it look like a fancy toy to a real weapon. You did a great job

Thanks brother, weathering is key.. :duim:

2 minutes ago, spOOL68 said:

Nice job! :peace:

Thanks brother. 

18 minutes ago, henselmonster said:

One suggestion I have is maybe adding a little brass color to the barrel of your T-21, then it would match back to the Lewis a bit more. Either way, still looks awesome

lewis-1.jpg

I was thinking of this, doing a light brass wash to the barrel as well. My reference shows no brass on the screen used T-21s pictures i have. I did hear down the grap vine that for ANH all 3 of the screen used Lewis's were painted to hide the brass using silver and black to match the MGs and Stirling's 

15 minutes ago, iconoclasta_88 said:

Nice!

Weathering is my fav part of prop building...

Saludos.

D@mn right brother, why im a sandy..  

8 minutes ago, LoveMonkey said:

Those look amazing, really nice job.  I love the look of a properly weathered blaster, really makes it look just that much more realistic.

Thanks brother. always have people asking if they are real.. 

No problem here is the steps I used on all 3 of them..  Remember to do this is a well-ventilated area as the fumes get very toxic wile distressing with generic lacquer thinner. 

1.     Lightly sand all weapons down with 1200(or higher) grit sand paper. Washing after to remove contaminates. 
2.     First coat with the pictured paint. This stuff lays out really well, stay about 8-14 inches away while laying down Tamiya paints. (Tamiya TS-17) this can be substituted for a brass or any other desired base. 

1st%20Coat_zpsjcubdnho.jpg

3.      After base layer has dried for about 30 min. Lay down the second layer using the pictured paint below. (Tamiya TS-38)

2nd%20Coat_zps3cvabllo.jpg

4.     Now on to the top coat. You can use any black paint you want for this glossy, matte ect. Make sure to cover well as this will add great amount of depth to the distressed areas in step 5. I used the pictured paint..

3rd%20Coat_zps1yv0wrlm.jpg

5.     OK, after letting the paint cure for about 24 hours. Let the distressing commence, the paint job will look good but we want to give a desired look and depth.  I used a generic lacquer thinner acquired at Home Depot, Canadian Tire (for us Canadians), Lows or Rona.  Use a pair of chemical gloves and some eye protection (PPE is always good). Soak a rag or sponge in the lacquer thinner and rub at the paint job to get the desired effect, don’t need to rub too hard unless your top coat was super thick..  

Enjoy Troopers :td:

On 3/2/2017 at 4:14 PM, RanceDojo said:

Thanks.  I'm going to have to practice this a few times before I try it on a blaster because I'm afraid I'll rub right through the base layer.

No problem