Modifying my T-21 BFG!

Hey Everybody!

So... a new cycle has started for the MEPD under a new DL and a new energy is flowing among the detachment. This sounds to me like a great opportunity to start working again in my delayed projects awaiting on the work bench.

I will be building, upgrading and finishing various projects, including new weathering and adding my real hegnstler counter to my E11,  finishing building my ANOVOS armor, finishing my TK replica armor, building my Gino and TM buckets, and... upgrading my T21 BFG!

For that, I will be adding the ribbing engraving to the barrel using nylon thread, adding greeblies, upgrading some details, adding blue wire and finishing the weathering and ageing.

So... this is where I started:

IMG_6124.thumb.JPG.1f1bbe6018f96099ac95a6136cacce5e.JPG

This was a commission to a local artist/sculptor/prop builder... 

From there, I added the slings and into my first troop with it.

IMG_5911.thumb.JPG.a3504be3d819ecaddef86f90a838e089.JPG

But I was never really happy with it. The size, shape and  diameter of the barrel, specially at the end, was not what I expected. So I modified it to make it more similar in shape to a real gun. I also added some parts inside the barrel and on other places... 

Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of the mods or the process.

Then, I also added weathered it and added the elastic plastic cord, and proceded to make further upgrades.

Now, I finally started the process to fully finish it.

This is when I first took some parts off it:

IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.41caec2798a05f8c0d52261a66276419.JPG

And this is how it is going atm.

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.d0a4b06957be4f1c822a0d9c52572bb7.JPG

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.6614b99ce52915ff100b383abf702635.JPG

I do have one doubt, and if anyone has any idea, it will be more than welcome: How do you guys attached the greeblies over the nylon thread so that the screws do not cut it and ruin the whole work?

Will try to work on this, even if slowly, to finish it soon.
Progress will be shared and pictures posted. 

Saludos. 

• 5 weeks later...

THx bro!

I was way more time consuming and difficult than expected. And the result is acceptable, but far from perfect. Anyway, I am very happy with how it came out, after using almost 200 mts of nylon thread. LOL!!

I need to write a bit about the process and learnings, but wanted to post pictures asap. Maybe write a bit later. Im feeling Lazy at the moment.

Saludos.

• 4 months later...

Wow, you really put a lot of effort and precision work with the nylon thread into your build, awesome! :)

I was thinking about doing that to my gun as well but I'm afraid of screwing it up. How did you attach the thread to the barrel? Spray glue?

• 2 years later...
On 3/31/2017 at 1:24 PM, iconoclasta_88 said:

I was way more time consuming and difficult than expected. And the result is acceptable, but far from perfect. Anyway, I am very happy with how it came out, after using almost 200 mts of nylon thread. LOL!!

I need to write a bit about the process and learnings, but wanted to post pictures asap. Maybe write a bit later. Im feeling Lazy at the moment.

On 3/31/2017 at 2:47 PM, spOOL68 said:

Yeah it took way longer than I thought it would too! 

Juan and Roger - Would you mind sharing with me a little more about your process of lining the barrel with the threading? What size you used, the amount, and adhesion technique? I've starting my own T-21 build and would like to incorporate this feature. Thanks!

On 8/16/2017 at 2:06 AM, Hausi said:

Wow, you really put a lot of effort and precision work with the nylon thread into your build, awesome! :)

I was thinking about doing that to my gun as well but I'm afraid of screwing it up. How did you attach the thread to the barrel? Spray glue?

Urs - Did you ever find out more about the barrel lining process, and if so, did you implement it?

1 hour ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Urs - Did you ever find out more about the barrel lining process, and if so, did you implement it?

No I didn't, I haven't tried it on my scratchbuild but sold it and got a rubber cast of a real Lewis gun with all the details. Sorry that I can't be of more help. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

Juan and Roger - Would you mind sharing with me a little more about your process of lining the barrel with the threading? What size you used, the amount, and adhesion technique? I've starting my own T-21 build and would like to incorporate this feature. Thanks!

Not sure what size I ended up using. I actually never got around to totally finishing the new build. Life happens. I do remember I used double sided tape on the barrel to wrap the line around. Seems like it worked well and once painted would look good. Not sure how durable the whole process would end up being. Might get beat up during trooping depending on how rough you are with it.

• 2 months later...
On 2/25/2020 at 10:14 AM, MaskedVengeance said:

Sorry for the delayed reply Caleb, I hope it is still useful.
I used E6000 on the under part of the tube. Just a bit along the cannon. And made the thread rounds very tight... It was a bit slow and made me tired too often. The most important part is getting all the loops together. I used some other tool to do it all around the tube. Hitting the loops towards the end. Don't remember just what.

Sorry if this is no help at all. 
Hope it helps a bit. 

Saludos.