Striders Backpack build with found parts

Strider

So, I've made a bit of progress, particular with the upper part. I haven't even started trimming and painting the frame yet but I wanted to see how everything fits together so I just loosely assembled the parts. Pretty happy with it so far :)

fieldpack8.jpg

Reference:

fieldpack9.jpg

Side:

fieldpack10.jpg

Reference:

fieldpack11.jpg

And as I mentioned earlier I'd ask Anthony if he'd recall anything about the pack and it's components.  The only thing he remembered was that it was heavy. He mentioned the  syphon as the "toilet part" but that was all. He said I'd better ask the guys from RS but I told him that those guys mostly pick our brains for info ;)

Anyway, it was great to meet up and catch up with him as always.

:salute:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Airborne Trooper said:

Strider, did you use a screw to mount the top plunger to the bottle or did you just glue it on? Can you show me a top view of your setup, please? 

Yeah well, I did use a screw but my attatchment method was a bit experimental and I can't really recommend it. I'll think about a better way when I attach the bottle to the syphon and then I'll show the construction method. Basically the problem is that I've shortened the size of the bottle and glueing on the plunger doesn't really work because it won't really stick just to the rim of the bottle at least not very durably.

• 3 weeks later...

I also combined both of the Brexton picnic food storage containers - Tell me what you think.    They can be done 2 ways the one over the other and the lid then added or the larger lid can also be put on the one with the larger bottom detail that goes closer to the edge.61f532d461.jpg61f54051a7.jpg61f55ac5c5.jpg61f5687ac0.jpg61f57cef25.jpg61f58986bc.jpg61f5a1a474.jpg

• Upvote 1

Is it possible to buy just the lids somewhere? I have a container but need to get the same blue style lid you have. Looks like a good latch to the original pack setup for this! Thanks for posting.

@1970s: Very cool, you've found the same vintage seed trays I got on ebay!

Btw, the shells didn't have wires hanging out. There's possibly one shell that had one small bit of wire sticking out but that's it. Also they're bit more rounded off on the edges.

20 hours ago, 1970s said:

Thanks. I spent a lot on shipping for the boxes I got but now seeing your set up I think I will need the other lid to get that look.  Where can I get those seed trays? looked on ebay but nothing. Great find. 

13 hours ago, Strider said:

@1970s: Very cool, you've found the same vintage seed trays I got on ebay!

Btw, the shells didn't have wires hanging out. There's possibly one shell that had one small bit of wire sticking out but that's it. Also they're bit more rounded off on the edges.

Hey Stider,

Could we see pictures of your shells?

thanks,

jack

7 hours ago, 1970s said:

Hey Stider,

Could we see pictures of your shells?

thanks,

jack

I meant to finish the ones I have yesterday but then I noticed that their size was based on the old seed trays. The original "shells" or capacitators were a much smaller than the ones we've used so I'm looking to scratch build them now.

But you can also check out the ones from @gino's build, they look pretty  good to me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 1970s said:

What are you going to put underneath the capacitators ?

I'll scratch build something out of some ABS sheets. There are a few things I yet have to figure out such as the attatchment method of the seed trays as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot how tedious it is to build a backpack but slowly seeing the end of the tunnel :) It took a little longer this time because I really aimed for a prop accurate build this time and had to put together a lot of puzzle pieces particularly with the attatchement methods. The definitely did not use the aluminum bars many of us have used in the past however on one of the pictures (that I unfortunately can't share due to an NDA) one can see something that appears to be a zip tie. So that's what I went for. The trays are connected to the frame just on the top and the bottom and with each other.

fieldpack12.jpg

fieldpack13.jpg

fieldpack14.jpg

Interstingly I had to cut even more off the frame than I initially though and attached the upper bar at the lowest (pre-drilled) point. With those dimensions the original trays I have fit like a glove into the frame and the look is exactly like the screen used packs.

• Upvote 2

What did you search when you found those seed trays? I have been looking for weeks! Haha. Its the last piece of the puzzle i need to have my uber pack built. Well that and a real sonix radio but I'm not holding my breath on that one. 

15 hours ago, henselmonster said:

What did you search when you found those seed trays? I have been looking for weeks! Haha. Its the last piece of the puzzle i need to have my uber pack built. Well that and a real sonix radio but I'm not holding my breath on that one. 

I looked on ebay UK for 'seed trays' and set the filter to 'used'. Nothing fancy really ;-)

Today I worked on making the shot gun shells/ capacitators. They have the right size now for the original trays. If you lokk at the reference pics there's really only one that potentially has a bit of wire sticking out. For most of them the wire just seems to be there rudimentary which is what I aimed for with mine. Next step is to build the mount they're resting on.

Reference pics:

fieldpack15.jpg

fieldpack16.jpg

Master:

20170609_183634_HDR_resized_zps1s4gpajc.

Cast:

fieldpack17.jpg

fieldpack18.jpg

• Upvote 1